cloaking through an obs?

glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">wtf</div>I noticed the "camoflauge" has an upgrade that can cloak even under an obs..... Basically it allows gorges to walk into your base and rape everything at once with bile bomb.

Can this be changed please...

Comments

• GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    The current observatory does not reveal cloaking, I expect this to be added later in the development. It will be impractical for marines to rely only on scan to detect cloaking skulks. Also the marines can't really use scan allot since they always have to be ready to beacon or they have high risk of losing the game to a rush.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    The obs will eventually get this ability (the NS passive scan around the structure)
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The obs will only uncloak aliens who are cloaking using the camouflage upgrade. It will not uncloak aliens under a shade cloak.
  • TravCarpTravCarp Join Date: 2010-06-04 Member: 71962Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Really? I remember last patch when my base was hit with a scan, I would pulse between invisible and visible.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1904574:date=Feb 18 2012, 05:06 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Feb 18 2012, 05:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1904574"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The obs will only uncloak aliens who are cloaking using the camouflage upgrade. It will not uncloak aliens under a shade cloak.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can confir this. Tried somany tumes cloaking in the base but got decloaked as soon as I was near the obs. But the Shade cloak is imune to the obs.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1904582:date=Feb 18 2012, 06:33 PM:name=TravCarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TravCarp @ Feb 18 2012, 06:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1904582"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Really? I remember last patch when my base was hit with a scan, I would pulse between invisible and visible.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, that's also a bit silly, it's because your commander is spamming the cloak ability of the shade.
    Shade cloak overrides scan, at least for a few seconds. It shouldn't, imo.
    And I dont think it should cloak lifeforms either, that's what camouflague is for.
  • ÒŗăNģёÒŗăNģё Join Date: 2012-02-09 Member: 144437Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Shade cloak is definitely overpowering but having an obs passively uncloak aliens makes cloaking worthless
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1904624:date=Feb 18 2012, 04:50 PM:name=ÒŗăNģё)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ÒŗăNģё @ Feb 18 2012, 04:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1904624"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Shade cloak is definitely overpowering but having an obs passively uncloak aliens makes cloaking worthless<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't agree, cloak still makes aliens very powerful, gives them massive map control and easy way to close the distance to the marines. This forces marines to use scan and invest in extra observatories(if obs would reveal cloak) over the map to get map control. Just forcing marines to worry about cloak skulks and investing extra res into extra observatories already makes it worth it.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1904624:date=Feb 18 2012, 09:50 PM:name=ÒŗăNģё)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ÒŗăNģё @ Feb 18 2012, 09:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1904624"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Shade cloak is definitely overpowering but having an obs passively uncloak aliens makes cloaking worthless<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The obs will only passively uncloak aliens in the immediate area around it, such as the marine's base. Since obs are rarely built outside of bases, this shouldn't be that overpowering. Aliens will still be able to use camo and maybe cloak (if that stays on the Shade) to ambush marines in most areas of the map. It is just extremely annoying right now to be in my base building a structure and suddenly get bitten by an invisible skulk, even though an obs was sitting right next to me.

Oh, and the plan is that the passive scan will not automatically make a cloaked alien visible, it will just put a blip on your minimap and on your HUD, indicating that something is there, that you probably want to shoot at, but you won't actually see what it is and exactly where it is.

--Cory
  • ÒŗăNģёÒŗăNģё Join Date: 2012-02-09 Member: 144437Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Interesting concept, I like it. But I have to say that when I command marines I'm always dropping Obs in places just for the simple fact of more scans and more places to beacon the team to.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1904637:date=Feb 18 2012, 05:41 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Feb 18 2012, 05:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1904637"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh, and the plan is that the passive scan will not automatically make a cloaked alien visible, it will just put a blip on your minimap and on your HUD, indicating that something is there, that you probably want to shoot at, but you won't actually see what it is and exactly where it is.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh boy, spychecks. As soon as an alien is blipped in the marine base you can be sure that room will be covered in fire.

Also an audio cue would be helpful for when an observatory detects a cloaked hostile.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1904656:date=Feb 19 2012, 12:03 AM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Feb 19 2012, 12:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1904656"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh boy, spychecks. As soon as an alien is blipped in the marine base you can be sure that room will be covered in fire.

Also an audio cue would be helpful for when an observatory detects a cloaked hostile.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Aliens motion tracking device kinda sound FTW!
  • Gorge_LucasGorge_Lucas Join Date: 2011-07-10 Member: 109352Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1904656:date=Feb 19 2012, 10:03 AM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Feb 19 2012, 10:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1904656"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also an audio cue would be helpful for when an observatory detects a cloaked hostile.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1