Dead bodies

AlchemdaAlchemda Join Date: 2004-02-01 Member: 25942Members
I know this is kind of a small thing. But I really wish dead bodies were on the floor for longer. I like seeing a corpse pile from a big fight. It is also breaking immersion when they disappear after 2 seconds from hitting the ground. I know for gameplay and performance reasons they must be removed from the game world, but just make them last a bit longer in the world.

Maybe a 20 second timer on dead bodies? That way I can kill someone, and by the time I'm turned around and leaving the room I don't "see it" disappear. The other alternative is find some lore or game mechanic reason for them being removed rather than straight up disappearing? Maybe an animation of the infestation reclaimng a body and you see it decompose and get "sucked" into the earth?

Comments

• PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Same here, I really like to see more bodies hit the floorâ„¢ and stay that way a little longer. It'd be cool if the decomposition was for infestation (with or without gameplay effect, like extra TRes or something) and disintegration off infestation (nanites in the faciility cleanses the place of dead organic matter)
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The other alternative is find some lore or game mechanic reason for them being removed rather than straight up disappearing?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    nanites.
  • FlounderFlounder Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31656Members
    How about: aliens explode/vaporize on death; marines disintegrate/dissolve into the floor soon after death. Nothing elaborate or disgusting, just showing some continuity. Having entities just dissappear is a game trope that really has gone on for too long.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1904290:date=Feb 17 2012, 09:35 AM:name=Flounder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flounder @ Feb 17 2012, 09:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1904290"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How about: aliens explode/vaporize on death; marines disintegrate/dissolve into the floor soon after death. Nothing elaborate or disgusting, just showing some continuity. Having entities just dissappear is a game trope that really has gone on for too long.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hmm, maybe teleport the Marines' bodies (in a flash of light, like Infantry Portal/Phase Gate), and rapid decomposition for Kharaa (disgusting but efficient!)?
  • Nex CarnifexNex Carnifex Join Date: 2011-01-06 Member: 76366Members
    edited February 2012
    Maybe the aliens decompose into a spot of creep that stains the ground there, and marines get incinerated by some thing in their armor, leaving a little glowy residue where they died, and anything that dies on creep gets absorbed into it like its taking the nutrients from the bodies.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited February 2012
    I can care less about dead bodies.

How about marine weapons?
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    The big problem with the game at the moment is the server performance drops through the floor as the entity numbers get high. Leaving more dead bodies around for longer is a bad idea.

I also think guns should disappear faster than they currently do. Until the server entity requirements are reduced, things like this would only make the performance worse.
  • MkilbrideMkilbride Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69952Members
    Clearly the game needs massive performance improvements, then we can think about dead bodies.

Seriously, I have like 40% CPU usage and 60% GPU usage and 30FPS at times.
  • RautapalliRautapalli Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72710Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1905388:date=Feb 21 2012, 09:10 AM:name=Soul_Rider)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soul_Rider @ Feb 21 2012, 09:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1905388"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The big problem with the game at the moment is the server performance drops through the floor as the entity numbers get high. Leaving more dead bodies around for longer is a bad idea.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's why ragdolls are clientside in most games. I don't see why they couldn't make them clientside here also.