Marine Movement and Guns Discussion

SlithersSlithers Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73368Members
Movement - I have been reading a lot of topics and posts by users on how the movement needs to be more skill based, but I would say 90% of it revolves around the Aliens side of the game. When it comes to Marines, I find they're the ones lacking the most. For example, when I strafe side to side, it has a minor delay, I assume this is because of the animations? I was wondering if there is more work to be done to the Marines, because right now when you pack pedal and strafe left and right, it feels very "iceskate" like. No this is not because of my fps, because you can jump on a lerk and it is percise when you strafe left and right.

What do you guys think? I just really miss old school movement and feel in nexgeneration games, it's just not like it use to be. I log in to a game like Quake Live and everything just feels so precise, counter-strike 1.6 is another game that offers one of the best feel and movement games to date.

Sprint Jumping - I am not asking to sprint jump repeatively over and over, but myself and many others I do play with are curious as to why when you sprint and then jump, it's just a sudden hault like Gravity has an extra pull on my character. I believe the Sprint then jump should be like how it is in Counter-Strike 1.6 or even abit less. I just want to see and feel more fluidness through each transition of animations. I am aware the game is not complete, but that's why I am bringing it to the table now, before it's too late.

Guns - When it comes to the Grenade Launcher, the intense lag delay behind each Grenade is absurd, is there any reason for this and if so, could somebody please elaborate, because it really does ruin some of the immersive feel of how a grenade launcher should work, it should be a lot more stream lined, like you see in Battlefield 3. It's just not fun to spam grenades at a pace that is so slow, that you can't really predict a situation, especially when "fades" are blinking in and out constantly all over the map and Lerks blow by you at 100mph and myself and Marine teams are like sitting ducks. I think some more skill needs to be attached to how Grenade launchers function. IF this means nerf one thing but buff another, by all means, because from my point of view, I feel the only thing that is hurting NS2 at the moment is movement / speed and certain gun feel.

That's my 2 cents, what do you guys think?

Comments

• WispWisp Join Date: 2007-12-18 Member: 63211Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    I think the movement should be modern (and more realistic) than the classic PC twitch shooters like Counter-Strike and Quake. Call of Duty, for all of its faults, has really good movement. It feels responsive, but it isn't ridiculously unrealistic. It's also a very popular game, so if Natural Selection 2 is something that would feel comfortable for Call of Duty fans to jump into, first time players might enjoy the experience more.
  • JaweeseJaweese Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58356Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1902446:date=Feb 12 2012, 05:14 PM:name=Slithers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slithers @ Feb 12 2012, 05:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1902446"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->curious as to why when you sprint and then jump, it's just a sudden hault like Gravity has an extra pull on my character.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    When you jump while sprinting, the speed bonus that you get from sprinting goes away halfway through the jump, so it feels like you've hit something. Also, the player gravity in NS2 is about 20% higher than NS1 and CS, which makes jumping/leaping/movement feel more restricted.
    <!--quoteo(post=1902446:date=Feb 12 2012, 05:14 PM:name=Slithers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slithers @ Feb 12 2012, 05:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1902446"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When it comes to the Grenade Launcher, the intense lag delay behind each Grenade is absurd<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    From third person view, you can see that when you fire a grenade, the grenade gets created fairly quickly, but then it stands still for a split second before it actually moves. I agree that this should be fixed. On a side note, I think removing the automatic grenade reload would be a great way to improve control. Since only one grenade can be loaded at a time anyway, right click can be used to fire <b>and</b> reload grenades.
  • SlithersSlithers Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73368Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1902457:date=Feb 12 2012, 06:53 PM:name=Wisp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wisp @ Feb 12 2012, 06:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1902457"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the movement should be modern (and more realistic) than the classic PC twitch shooters like Counter-Strike and Quake. Call of Duty, for all of its faults, has really good movement. It feels responsive, but it isn't ridiculously unrealistic. It's also a very popular game, so if Natural Selection 2 is something that would feel comfortable for Call of Duty fans to jump into, first time players might enjoy the experience more.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But that's where your wrong, it's not realistic. Go outside right now and sprint around with a gun in your hand, I gaurentee you, you can move around 5x the speed and do it for a very long time. Also, what's with everything having to do with realism in a video game? It's a friggin video game, if we wanted real life, we wouldn't play them. Were here for "gameplay" not "realism". I prefer Fun Factor and fluidness > realism any day of the week, because if you look at any game that is created to be very realistic, they're all dead games and the ones that rely purely on fun factor and gameplay, are still alive and kicking 10 years later.

Companies need to stop feeding the masses of bad players and start aiming at what matters, gameplay.
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    The grenades from the grenade launcher are silly. It's like they're travelling through pea soup. The grenade, for to be at all realistic should fly at least 4 times faster than it does now. A gun that lobs a high explosive mere 20 meters from you seems a bit lethal to me in a real life use case.

Gorge spit and bile bomb are also created, then they're still in the air for a while before flying off, which is pretty annoying.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1902457:date=Feb 12 2012, 09:53 PM:name=Wisp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wisp @ Feb 12 2012, 09:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1902457"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the movement should be modern (and more realistic) than the classic PC twitch shooters like Counter-Strike and Quake. Call of Duty, for all of its faults, has really good movement. It feels responsive, but it isn't ridiculously unrealistic. It's also a very popular game, so if Natural Selection 2 is something that would feel comfortable for Call of Duty fans to jump into, first time players might enjoy the experience more.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I dont agree.

<!--quoteo(post=1902511:date=Feb 13 2012, 03:08 AM:name=Slithers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slithers @ Feb 13 2012, 03:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1902511"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But that's where your wrong, it's not realistic. Go outside right now and sprint around with a gun in your hand, I gaurentee you, you can move around 5x the speed and do it for a very long time. Also, what's with everything having to do with realism in a video game? It's a friggin video game, if we wanted real life, we wouldn't play them. Were here for "gameplay" not "realism". I prefer Fun Factor and fluidness > realism any day of the week, because if you look at any game that is created to be very realistic, they're all dead games and the ones that rely purely on fun factor and gameplay, are still alive and kicking 10 years later.

Companies need to stop feeding the masses of bad players and start aiming at what matters, gameplay.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree here. If you want true realism, we should hook players up to a Fitness Test before playing so it can measure your physical prowess, then apply that in game to what your char can do...

Slither is right in the fact that this needs to feel responsive like games of old. We arent playing a WW2 remake or modern day war game. This is the future with aliens (and need i remind you this is in the scifi-fantasy genre...) and who's to say the nanites arent helping enhance movement and crispness? Now if you LIKE the feel of sluggish responses and purposeful unforgiving movement then say that, dont blame it on immersion and realism... it's cop out for lack of a good argument.

Bottom line Slither has a good point. We talk about aliens a lot but they have 5 classes to work out. Marines have 1 and with one good pass could be put straight. This is where the kind modders step in and enlighten us on how we can help. Is it an animation problem? Where the FPS view is being punished for the 3rd person look? or is there a lag response in the code on purpose?
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1902511:date=Feb 13 2012, 12:08 PM:name=Slithers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slithers @ Feb 13 2012, 12:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1902511"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, what's with everything having to do with realism in a video game? It's a friggin video game, if we wanted real life, we wouldn't play them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Actually, people want to do in video games what they are not allowed or not able to do in real life.
    That means that your viewpoint (do stuff that is unrealistic) is valid, but also that his viewpoint (do stuff that is realistic but unacceptable or unattainable) is valid.
    In either case, we are doing something that we cannot do in real life (bounce around like a maniac, very unrealistic / shoot people like a homicidal maniac, may be a perfect simulation).
    Basically, realism/fantasy is independent of reality/escapism. That is, both realism and fantasy are perfectly acceptable in the bounds of escapism.

<!--quoteo(post=1902511:date=Feb 13 2012, 12:08 PM:name=Slithers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slithers @ Feb 13 2012, 12:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1902511"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Were here for "gameplay" not "realism".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Some people are here for both.

<!--quoteo(post=1902511:date=Feb 13 2012, 12:08 PM:name=Slithers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slithers @ Feb 13 2012, 12:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1902511"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Companies need to stop feeding the masses of bad players and start aiming at what matters, gameplay.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What is a bad player? A pirate?

Before you blow up: Other than what is written above, I am not disagreeing with you in any way.
  • FragmagnetFragmagnet Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72873Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1902606:date=Feb 13 2012, 07:00 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Feb 13 2012, 07:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1902606"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually, people want to do in video games what they are not allowed or not able to do in real life.
    That means that your viewpoint (do stuff that is unrealistic) is valid, but also that his viewpoint (do stuff that is realistic) is valid.
    In either case, we are doing something that we cannot do in real life (jump around like a maniac, unrealistic / shoot people like a homicidal maniac, may be realistic).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

.......... All I do is sit in a chair.
  • DeKayDeKay Join Date: 2009-06-08 Member: 67752Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1902457:date=Feb 12 2012, 10:53 PM:name=Wisp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wisp @ Feb 12 2012, 10:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1902457"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the movement should be modern (and more realistic) than the classic PC twitch shooters like Counter-Strike and Quake. Call of Duty, for all of its faults, has really good movement. It feels responsive, but it isn't ridiculously unrealistic. It's also a very popular game, so if Natural Selection 2 is something that would feel comfortable for Call of Duty fans to jump into, first time players might enjoy the experience more.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Please leave.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1902607:date=Feb 13 2012, 08:03 PM:name=Fragmagnet)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fragmagnet @ Feb 13 2012, 08:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1902607"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->.......... All I do is sit in a chair.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    O...kay?
  • comp_comp_ Join Date: 2011-06-27 Member: 106656Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1902469:date=Feb 12 2012, 05:40 PM:name=Jaweese)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jaweese @ Feb 12 2012, 05:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1902469"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When you jump while sprinting, the speed bonus that you get from sprinting goes away halfway through the jump, so it feels like you've hit something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Is that an intentional feature? Wouldn't it be more fun (and real) to maintain the speed at least until you touch the ground again?
    Also, whenever I crouch mid-air, the speed decreases a lot, feels pretty weird. Is that also intentional? Marines are already very restricted on their movement, I wished we could at least get rid of these things, would feel a lot better IMO.