Make a Cyst on a Power Node turn off lights

OmegaliskOmegalisk Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139750Members
<div class="IPBDescription">A temporary solution until Dynamic Infestation</div>In the current implementation of unsocketed Power Nodes, the only place lights are turned off are in the "Buffer Zones" (the intermediate areas between Alien and Marine territory). Not only does this make lighting inconsistent with the game state, but also disallows Aliens a "home field" advantage when defending the Hive.

What I am suggesting is that placing a Cyst or Mini-cyst on an unsocketed Power Node turns off the lights. This way, Aliens can disable lights within their territory while keeping Power on where Marines control.

Comments

• FragmagnetFragmagnet Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72873Members
    edited February 2012
    Infestation messing with a power node's ... power... supplying...ness.
    Do want.

Would make lights go out more often.
    And would make more reason to defend it with sentries or something.

So the infestation hits a powernode?
    Or a cyst is directly on it?
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Hopefully, if/when 3D infestation gets in, it could grow over lights on the ceiling and dampen lighting by +/- 50%. So the more infested a room, the darker it becomes.
  • KilldeKillde Join Date: 2009-06-03 Member: 67661Members
    I always thought it weird how the lights were on without a socketed power node. This often makes it advantageous to NOT build power nodes in areas where the marines don't want to build (several areas in trams with no RT come to mind). If marines never build the power node, aliens can never turn off the lights.

This suggestion might be a good middle ground between the current system, and having maps start with all the lights off. Though I still kind of want all the lights to be off until nodes are socketed.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    edited February 2012
    ^- That was essentially what it was like before Power Sockets were introduced. At game start, Skulks would rush off to every part of the map and chomp off the Power Nodes, rendering most of the map in emergency lighting (which got very annoying to see after a while).

Power Nodes are now meant to grant access to the power for Marine buildings, in whatever facility the Marines are situated. When previously, they maintained power. Still, I do really like the idea of infestation/cyst/some weird growth on a Power Socket to reduce lighting.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    Are we still getting dynamic infestation?
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    Sounds nice, though I would prefer a structure placed on the power node anologous to the marine power node, so you at the very least need to put a drifter there :)
  • Banzai¥Banzai¥ Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143902Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1902623:date=Feb 13 2012, 08:07 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Feb 13 2012, 08:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1902623"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are we still getting dynamic infestation?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Their youtube channel showed that they were still working on it recently, although I thought dynamic infestation was partially in as it was (The blobs/splotches are dynamically done, yea?)
    When it does release, I would like to see infestation dynamically move towards lights quicker than it would spread out on the ground, etc. Sort-of like it's attracted to the lights and dampens or feeds off of it. As to power nodes, cysts and infestation shouldn't automatically disable them (It'll end up the commander spamming them into marine bases and disabling the rooms.)
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1902677:date=Feb 13 2012, 06:30 PM:name=Banzai¥)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Banzai¥ @ Feb 13 2012, 06:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1902677"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Their youtube channel showed that they were still working on it recently, although I thought dynamic infestation was partially in as it was (The blobs/splotches are dynamically done, yea?)
    When it does release, I would like to see infestation dynamically move towards lights quicker than it would spread out on the ground, etc. Sort-of like it's attracted to the lights and dampens or feeds off of it. As to power nodes, cysts and infestation shouldn't automatically disable them <b>(It'll end up the commander spamming them into marine bases and disabling the rooms.)</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not really a problem, since aliens would first have to munch down the powernode (and by then marines are prob screwed anyway), then keep a cyst-chain up to the node and THEN - darkness.

All that would be reversed by a grenade or two.