Whip Wall-Walk

PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted GorgeRichmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
While I was playing in Tram, I noticed that my Mature Whip had magically walked up one of the two giant crates in Elevator Transfer. It was pretty funny since it could just drop its Bombard ball on top of structures behind the crates.

So I thought, why not give the Whip full blown wall-walk? It'd orient itself onto a surface properly and if there's infestation it can root there. I foresee games where the Khamm would ask a Gorge (nicely) to put Mini-Cysts on the walls, and he'd set up his Whips to protect Hydras from grenades ^_^

It'd also create stronger defense against Jetpack Marines as they would be whipped out of the sky.

Speaking of which, the Khamm should be able to place Cysts on walls as well as the ground, IMO.

Comments

• SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    i agree with the cyts, not the whip because of what you just described. Being bombarded without knowing were its comming from.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2012
    And how would an alien commander be able control the whips, maybe the Gorge could help with this or something... And I want walking Crags :D
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited February 2012
    Draw a ray from the cursor position (at the screen) and straight down (into the screen) - where it hits the world is where the whip will move to.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1901736:date=Feb 10 2012, 03:29 AM:name=SkymanderX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SkymanderX @ Feb 10 2012, 03:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1901736"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i agree with the cyts, not the whip because of what you just described. Being bombarded without knowing were its comming from.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually, you could very much see the Mature Whip sitting right on top of the crate itself. The infestation is also a dead giveaway, and it's not like the Alien Commander can put Whips on the ceiling upside-down (at least, not with his current view position)

If they orient themselves to the surface they are on, they'd be even more obvious looking than Hydras due to size alone.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1901762:date=Feb 10 2012, 01:26 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Feb 10 2012, 01:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1901762"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And how would an alien commander be able control the whips, maybe the Gorge could help with this or something... And I want walking Crags :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Did you ever played Dungeon Keeper 2. You could take control over your minions by casting a spell on it.
    Would be great if the commander could do the same thing with whips! Maybe even hydras so he could aim at the marine and has a bit higher RoF and its hitscan.
    Or to fly the drifters in vents or higher places to build the building there.

Sorry :-D. Should have known you played all molyneux games.
    I
    I
    \/
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1901942:date=Feb 10 2012, 11:17 PM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Feb 10 2012, 11:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1901942"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Did you ever played Dungeon Keeper 2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What kind of question is that dammit! I'm inclined to feel offended :P
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    Don't worry, I think it was rhetorical. It didn't have a question mark, after all.
    <!--quoteo(post=1902027:date=Feb 11 2012, 05:16 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Feb 11 2012, 05:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1902027"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Don't worry, I think it was rhetorical. It didn't have a question mark, after all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Still pointing my finger anyway :D

Someone (probably you Floodinator?) posted something somewhere about possessing cysts to go into FPS view and from that perspective you'd be able to do this kind of thing. I'm still for the idea of having the Gorge be part of this somehow as well...
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nah it wasn't me.
    Another thing that could be a workaround, would be that teleportation could also be used by a gorge as soon as (and if) it's implemented.
    He could mark a building and port it somewhere else then, it would be "saved" in the 5. Weaponslot and could be dropped like the hydras/cysts.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1902117:date=Feb 11 2012, 04:44 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Feb 11 2012, 04:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1902117"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Still pointing my finger anyway :D

Someone (probably you Floodinator?) posted something somewhere about possessing cysts to go into FPS view and from that perspective you'd be able to do this kind of thing. I'm still for the idea of having the Gorge be part of this somehow as well...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Me too, although Gorge can already put his slime piles on any surface ^_^! Also, Whip Taxi comes to mind (+use on Whip to have it carry you around, even when it walks up walls :D)

<!--quoteo(post=1902123:date=Feb 11 2012, 06:48 AM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Feb 11 2012, 06:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1902123"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nah it wasn't me.
    Another thing that could be a workaround, would be that teleportation could also be used by a gorge as soon as (and if) it's implemented.
    He could mark a building and port it somewhere else then, it would be "saved" in the 5. Weaponslot and could be dropped like the hydras/cysts.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You mean the Shift's building relocation (Echo) ability? Yeah that'd be great for reorganizing Gorge buildings, though not sure if just any Gorge should be able to move support structures around... it would be cool if Drifters could mutate on walls as well.
    <!--quoteo(post=1902173:date=Feb 11 2012, 09:52 PM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ Feb 11 2012, 09:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1902173"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Me too, although Gorge can already put his slime piles on any surface ^_^! Also, Whip Taxi comes to mind (+use on Whip to have it carry you around, even when it walks up walls :D)

You mean the Shift's building relocation (Echo) ability? Yeah that'd be great for reorganizing Gorge buildings, though not sure if just any Gorge should be able to move support structures around... it would be cool if Drifters could mutate on walls as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes I mean echo. Why not? The gorge can reach places that a kham can't acces by a drifter (f.e. The big vent tube in central drilling to repair). Some places can't be accesed by non flyingmarines but a gorge with the help of a skulk can.

IMO the strategical value of crags/shades/whips are not as great as it would be possible. You can't hide a shade or shells somewhere because the kham has only a 2D surface to drop buildings.

In the end all buildings are near a hive because they get heal from it and you can just jump out to kill the marine. I miss the red room.

And a last thing that limits the kham in building are the cysts. If I place a cyst in central drilling I need to do complex ways to connect them (or even drop) on the bridges above orin tram repair, you can place 100 cysts there but you won't get a way to warehouse if you don't take the right routes.
  • ÒŗăNģёÒŗăNģё Join Date: 2012-02-09 Member: 144437Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--sizeo:7--><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>Gorgie mini whips!! </b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
    Gorge is pretty boring in ns2 with only hydras to drop :/
    edited February 2012
    @Floodinator: I think moving Commander placed buildings around as Gorge would be highly griefable, even if it cost PRes. Hopefully, they'll improve Drifter pathing so it can fly into vents of various heights, and for Cyst placement to work as intended :)

<!--quoteo(post=1902252:date=Feb 11 2012, 09:53 PM:name=ÒŗăNģё)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ÒŗăNģё @ Feb 11 2012, 09:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1902252"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--sizeo:7--><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>Gorgie mini whips!! </b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
    Gorge is pretty boring in ns2 with only hydras to drop :/<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I actually experimented with this on my own, made it so the Gorge could build the Whip (even on walls). Too bad the code didn't support Whip being on vertical surfaces, since when I was a Marine fighting against one, its attack didn't even reach me unless I am right up to it :P
    Griefing is always possible.
    Echo could be a cooperative work betweend the com and the gorge. The com marks a building he want's to be teleported and gorges get this building in the 5. slot.
    This way the com desides wich building is ported.