Isn't the shotgun too slow, really?

WolpertingerWolpertinger Join Date: 2011-12-24 Member: 138958Members
<div class="IPBDescription">And needs Alt Fire</div>The time between shots is too long and somehow I got the feeling that the delay between pressing the button and the firing itself is... big?

I want to know how others feel about this really frustrating use of the shotgun.

Comments

• internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    edited February 2012
    I think it's fine and it's a completely reasonable way to balance the extremely high burst damage of the gun (the delay between shots, that is).
    Why do you want rapid shots? Is it so that missing is less punishing? If so, there's a light machinegun available.

edit: misunderstood - the delay between clicking and firing is silly, and I'm not sure what causes it but it shouldn't exist
  • {LoC}Blue_Leader{LoC}Blue_Leader Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 144025Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    We need an automatic shotgun that has a rocket launcher attachment.
  • Andrew_e1Andrew_e1 Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33331Members, Constellation
    I think it feels lighting fast compared to the damn reload times of the NS1 shotgun... I hated it for that.
  • WolpertingerWolpertinger Join Date: 2011-12-24 Member: 138958Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1901539:date=Feb 10 2012, 03:11 AM:name={LoC}Blue_Leader)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ({LoC}Blue_Leader @ Feb 10 2012, 03:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1901539"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We need an automatic shotgun that has a rocket launcher attachment.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

AND LAZORS!
  • {LoC}Blue_Leader{LoC}Blue_Leader Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 144025Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1901542:date=Feb 9 2012, 09:12 PM:name=Wolpertinger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wolpertinger @ Feb 9 2012, 09:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1901542"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->AND LAZORS!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It also needs a side barrel attachment that shoots headcrabs!
  • ClonesaClonesa Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143691Members
    I'd like to see the firing speed go up ever so slightly and the damage (particularly at range) go down.

A bigger change I'd like to see is getting away from this idea of tiers and counters with these weapons and forms. It just gets really boring really fast. Any game I see that isn't one-sided usually goes:

All rifle Marines and All skulks->All shotgun marines and Mostly Fades and Skulks->All Jetpack Marines w/ Flamer or GL and All Frenzy Fades with a few Onos.

Player style and roles just change with tech and game duration. Its promotes a boring way to play the game. Instead I'd like to see the multiple different weapons and forms at different tiers and optional upgrade paths for individual players to choose.

An example: A Marine squad with a pointman with shotty, Support w/ advanced welder and mobile spawn point thing, marksman with some kind of semi-auto rifle or railgun and a rearguard with an AR or LMG.

Hopefully they go this route when they add more content.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    The guns and lifeforms are already set up to be complementary and encourage different roles at all points in the game. They're just not balanced for it.
    For instance, a lot of people whine that the flamethrower is no good, but it makes fades easier to fight as part of a group. Same deal with the lerk and gorge (although they honestly feel quite weak in their combat support roles).
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    the ns1 shotgun fired faster, but the ns2 shotgun is just a beast. 2 shot a fade with cara. i wouldn't change it at all, maybe even nerf it...
    <!--quoteo(post=1901545:date=Feb 10 2012, 03:17 AM:name=Clonesa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clonesa @ Feb 10 2012, 03:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1901545"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A bigger change I'd like to see is getting away from this idea of tiers and counters with these weapons and forms. It just gets really boring really fast. Any game I see that isn't one-sided usually goes:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You mean this rock-paper-scissor system? Yeh, I do not like this, as well.
  • WispWisp Join Date: 2007-12-18 Member: 63211Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    <!--quoteo(post=1901509:date=Feb 10 2012, 12:59 AM:name=Dghelneshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dghelneshi @ Feb 10 2012, 12:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1901509"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know that and I'd actually be fine if the FoV wasn't as low as it is now. I don't care about 16:9 users seeing more than me, but I do care about my game looking zoomed-in all the time, disorienting me and making me unable to play, especially in melee combat. Even if I bought a 16:9 screen now, it would still feel strange to me. Others may like it more like this, but some people would like to have more FoV.
    Keep the vertical FoV, but <b>please</b> add a FoV slider into the game, with a reasonable maximum, like something that would translate to around 90-100° horizontal on 5:4 for standard/marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1901545:date=Feb 10 2012, 02:17 AM:name=Clonesa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clonesa @ Feb 10 2012, 02:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1901545"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd like to see the firing speed go up ever so slightly and the damage (particularly at range) go down.

A bigger change I'd like to see is getting away from this idea of tiers and counters with these weapons and forms. It just gets really boring really fast. Any game I see that isn't one-sided usually goes:

All rifle Marines and All skulks->All shotgun marines and Mostly Fades and Skulks->All Jetpack Marines w/ Flamer or GL and All Frenzy Fades with a few Onos.

Player style and roles just change with tech and game duration. Its promotes a boring way to play the game. Instead I'd like to see the multiple different weapons and forms at different tiers and optional upgrade paths for individual players to choose.

An example: A Marine squad with a pointman with shotty, Support w/ advanced welder and mobile spawn point thing, marksman with some kind of semi-auto rifle or railgun and a rearguard with an AR or LMG.

Hopefully they go this route when they add more content.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're onto something here. Sid Meier famously said that games are a series of interesting choices.

NS2 is more fun when the commanders and players are presented with interesting choices.

Do I get an Observatory or a Robotics Factory? That is an interesting choice. Do I go Fade or Onos? That is an interesting choice.

Presently, the Marines lack these sets of choices. The Shotgun is an obvious early game upgrade for the Marine because it crushes skulks and then does moderately well against the Aliens first major upgrade, the Fade. As the game starts to progress, there is some thinking that has to go into whether to continue using the Shotgun or get the Grenade Launcher. The Grenade Launcher is good against structures, but the Shotgun is as well. The Flamethrower feels more like a spam tool than a real weapon... there's not much fun to be had with it long-term because it's so easy to use. I'm afraid that the Exo-suit will become a similar non-choice. Every Marine will want to use the Exo-suit because it will be an obvious upgrade. I think the Marines need another early game weapon to compete with the shotgun and another late game weapon that competes with the Exo-suit. Perhaps the Rifle can have additional upgrades that make it competitive throughout the game.

I hope the Welder replaces the Pistol in your inventory. There should be some sacrifice for getting an upgrade over the Builder, otherwise everyone will want a Welder.
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1901544:date=Feb 9 2012, 09:14 PM:name={LoC}Blue_Leader)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ({LoC}Blue_Leader @ Feb 9 2012, 09:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1901544"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It also needs a side barrel attachment that shoots headcrabs!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

maybe but don't forget the attachment for the mine layer.
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    There's definitely a period of lag when you press the button and when the pellets actually leave the shotgun. It's super frustrating.
    As for the shotgun's fire rate which is a different thing entirely, it is pretty okay. It's <b>beastly</b> if you can get the timing down for the quickfire. I'll leave you to figure out what that means.
  • wilson502wilson502 Join Date: 2004-01-08 Member: 25169Members, Constellation
    I like the idea of slug rounds.
  • assbdaassbda Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96737Members
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1901555:date=Feb 10 2012, 03:43 PM:name=Wisp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wisp @ Feb 10 2012, 03:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1901555"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're onto something here. Sid Meier famously said that games are a series of interesting choices.

NS2 is more fun when the commanders and players are presented with interesting choices.

Do I get an Observatory or a Robotics Factory? That is an interesting choice. Do I go Fade or Onos? That is an interesting choice.

Presently, the Marines lack these sets of choices. The Shotgun is an obvious early game upgrade for the Marine because it crushes skulks and then does moderately well against the Aliens first major upgrade, the Fade. As the game starts to progress, there is some thinking that has to go into whether to continue using the Shotgun or get the Grenade Launcher. The Grenade Launcher is good against structures, but the Shotgun is as well. The Flamethrower feels more like a spam tool than a real weapon... there's not much fun to be had with it long-term because it's so easy to use. I'm afraid that the Exo-suit will become a similar non-choice. Every Marine will want to use the Exo-suit because it will be an obvious upgrade. I think the Marines need another early game weapon to compete with the shotgun and another late game weapon that competes with the Exo-suit. Perhaps the Rifle can have additional upgrades that make it competitive throughout the game.

I hope the Welder replaces the Pistol in your inventory. There should be some sacrifice for getting an upgrade over the Builder, otherwise everyone will want a Welder.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Theres more to it than that tho, in ns1 there was no choice between guns and it worked just fine.
    I always found the only choices you have is to play it as it goes.
    Theres always things like relocation, denial of territory, plain rushing and ninja phasing. Thats plenty of choice to me, adding 4 or 5 guns to every tier is just going to make ###### complex and annoying because everyone on the team will want something different.

I dunno if im alone on this but i dont think ns2 will ever have the same tight strategic feel ns1 had.
    Ns1 was more about the marines trying to deny territory rather than control it and they didnt necessarily need to tech to win unless aliens were advancing, which made the balance of 2 sides more exciting.
    Where as aliens depended on expanding to win and it was the only way to go.
    Marines needed time, aliens needed territory.

Ns2 however its as if both teams are trying to gain territory for both the same reasons as each other, they both need the same things.
    And with the 5 bases in each map? both teams end up getting their expansions usually and then its just a fight for 3rd one.
    I suppose when you look at the big picture it results in a longer game but that thrill of never knowing whats going to happen just doesnt exist.

Its hard to explain, and its only beta still so ill stay open minded about it. I guess im just too curious to see how unw will make it happen.

(oh and to stay on topic i think the shotgun is fine, i prefer slow firing shotguns it feels more beefy when you land that hit, especially on a fade and you hear him snarl from the damage he took)
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    I use shotgun because my FPS is too low to for me to handle and aim the rifle 'decently' and I think the shotgun is fine and should not have any major changes to it however it is too effective against everything, it needs a damage reduction against buildings or something.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1901594:date=Feb 10 2012, 06:23 AM:name=Skie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skie @ Feb 10 2012, 06:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1901594"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There's definitely a period of lag when you press the button and when the pellets actually leave the shotgun. It's super frustrating.
    As for the shotgun's fire rate which is a different thing entirely, it is pretty okay. It's <b>beastly</b> if you can get the timing down for the quickfire. I'll leave you to figure out what that means.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So very true.
  • ClonesaClonesa Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143691Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1901594:date=Feb 10 2012, 12:23 AM:name=Skie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skie @ Feb 10 2012, 12:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1901594"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There's definitely a period of lag when you press the button and when the pellets actually leave the shotgun. It's super frustrating.
    As for the shotgun's fire rate which is a different thing entirely, it is pretty okay. It's <b>beastly</b> if you can get the timing down for the quickfire. I'll leave you to figure out what that means.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Feel its the worst with the GL. I can never tell when and where that thing will end up in a frenzied battle.
  • TheLordTheLord Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16258Members
    If you ask me, shotgun needs nerf rather than a buff. While I'm marine I always buy a shotgun now, since its simply stronger than a gl or a flamer except for "extremely infested" situations.

With a shotgun I chew through (newb) skulks. I agree it's had to hit good skulks with it though, simply because there's still a lot of fps lag and input lag which will hopefully be fixed in the future... Or I simply buy a new rig, hehe :)
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    I'm still not clear whether the complaint is an animation bug (trigger vs. fire)
    or the speed of shooting itself.

If it is an animation bug I haven't noticed.
    and as far as having the shotgun fire faster...it's fine as it is
    I meant the time between shots feels a little bit too long.

And also the delay between pressing the mouse button and and shotgun-shot itself is annoying. It is subtle, maybe, but it is there.

And yes, there is definitly the same problem with the Grenade Launcher. (Whera are all the delays coming from?)