Natural Selection 2 News Update - Gorilla released (NS2 Build 194)

Comments

• peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1899594:date=Feb 4 2012, 02:30 PM:name=Electr0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Electr0 @ Feb 4 2012, 02:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899594"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So if they're aiming to release by the end of summer, how many more official maps can we expect?

Unless they have a lot of content we don't know about this is going to be a very light release, with no story mode people will expect a lot more for their money, im just saying...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There's a whole minimalist space station style art set to come out with at least one map. I think it's called Biodome.
  • subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    It's still unplayable for me. 12 fps, dropping to 3 when there is anything happening.

I think I'll just have to accept that I can never play the game smooth and just think of the payment as a thank you for the many hours I enjoyed NS1.
  • fleetcommandfleetcommand Hungary Join Date: 2010-05-20 Member: 71809Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1899628:date=Feb 4 2012, 05:20 PM:name=subshadow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (subshadow @ Feb 4 2012, 05:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899628"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's still unplayable for me. 12 fps, dropping to 3 when there is anything happening.

I think I'll just have to accept that I can never play the game smooth and just think of the payment as a thank you for the many hours I enjoyed NS1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For me only Mineshaft seems to be low-fps map, others are playable. However, I want to figure out which component is the bottleneck: my CPU or the VGA. Just have no idea how could I do this :)
  • WispWisp Join Date: 2007-12-18 Member: 63211Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    <!--quoteo(post=1899594:date=Feb 4 2012, 01:30 PM:name=Electr0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Electr0 @ Feb 4 2012, 01:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899594"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So if they're aiming to release by the end of summer, how many more official maps can we expect?

Unless they have a lot of content we don't know about this is going to be a very light release, with no story mode people will expect a lot more for their money, im just saying...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They have two more maps planned for release, Refinery and I believe the other is called Shipping. Refinery contains a lot of industrial equipment and lava throughout the map. Shipping is a cleaner looking map with living quarters, a bar, etc. Refinery, Shipping, Tram, and Mineshaft all represent four parts of a large human facility. Those four maps, plus Summit, bring the total number of release maps to five. They are also planning on introducing a Biodome themeset post-release.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2012
    <div align='center'>22player StressTest on Uwe:Onos, two version before RC candidate Gorilla (250ms ping from Europe :P)
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F4cWzxT8Des"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F4cWzxT8Des" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4cWzxT8Des" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4cWzxT8Des</a></div>
  • arualarual Join Date: 2005-03-12 Member: 44989Members
    Loving the patch. Builds 190/191 went a long way towards making the game playable for me and the optimisations in 194 just continue that trend.

I just hope you guys are enjoying the weekend and celebrating rather than hanging around the office worrying about having to make urgent bugfixes!
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1899688:date=Feb 4 2012, 02:19 PM:name=arual)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (arual @ Feb 4 2012, 02:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899688"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Loving the patch. Builds 190/191 went a long way towards making the game playable for me and the optimisations in 194 just continue that trend.

I just hope you guys are enjoying the weekend and celebrating rather than hanging around the office worrying about having to make urgent bugfixes!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can tell you Max was working on NS2 the next day, at 6AM. The man is dedicated to getting things in your hands ASAP. (He's also a bit nuts but we love him for it)
  • fleetcommandfleetcommand Hungary Join Date: 2010-05-20 Member: 71809Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1899694:date=Feb 4 2012, 09:26 PM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ Feb 4 2012, 09:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899694"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can tell you Max was working on NS2 the next day, at 6AM. The man is dedicated to getting things in your hands ASAP.<b> (He's also a bit nuts but we love him for it)</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We love the whole dev-team ;)
  • SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
    Ok, having had a decent playthrough, here are some thoughts: Mineshaft looks pretty but is nigh unplayable due to the many, many places to get stuck or fall down and die. The onos is a huge dissapointment, visually. I cannot say how it plays because when I evolved into one, I got suck in the floor and had to /kill. I did run around as a Gorge or Skulk with a pair of Oni and boy they look stupid from behind. I miss the space cow, the gorilla isn't working for me. Fought some jetpack marines. Seems cool but again, visually unappealing. Maybe the legs of the marines could ragdoll a bit when they are flying? They seem a bit stiff.
    I am aware that this is beta, many things are wip, etc.

Still much <3 for UWE!
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    For those of us with old computers, you definitely want to turn graphics option to "Medium". Mine Shaft was unplayable for me on "High" due to its massive texture memory usage.
  • CDavidCDavid Join Date: 2012-01-29 Member: 142403Members
    Great, finally Onos and JP :) Thanks guys, keep up the good work!
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    We had a 70+ minute long gather 6vs6 game on mineshaft yesterday. Aliens couldn't win because onoses (onii? ... onii-chans!?) were getting stuck in gap, marines were having a hard time winning because aliens had so damn many buildings (and the commander didn't want to arc-spam). Eventually we won with arc spam and coordinated JP rushes even though at some point we were only stuck in our main base.

When we were on the alien team, I lost a fade twice in a row because I accidentally touched a ladder in operations. Stuck instantly.

<!--quoteo(post=1899568:date=Feb 4 2012, 02:18 PM:name=unkind)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (unkind @ Feb 4 2012, 02:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899568"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Skulk leap could really be a bit faster, it's cool right now but yeah.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It would be totally awesome if the leap speed increase would be additive or multiplied by your current speed, so you could make huge leaps together with walljumping. Although I guess it would get a bit ridiculous with celerity, which is coming soon. Apparently schimmel already coded it, just needs testing.

<!--quoteo(post=1899568:date=Feb 4 2012, 02:18 PM:name=unkind)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (unkind @ Feb 4 2012, 02:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899568"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1. Laggy ass people instantly killing you before THEY turn the corner on your screen. Also lots of "i moved behind the wall and died where the guy didnt even have LoS" going on. Reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally bad.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This happens in every FPS game that has prediction (=all games these days). Back in Quake2 times the shot only left your gun after ping(ms) and not instantly. Prediction has a few drawbacks but generally it's better to have than not to have.

<!--quoteo(post=1899568:date=Feb 4 2012, 02:18 PM:name=unkind)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (unkind @ Feb 4 2012, 02:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899568"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->3. The taking damage sounds for aliens are seemingly delayed. Also taking damage period seems to be delayed on the GUI. Like, you die and watch your hp drain to zero a second later. Annoying.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Also I feel like the damage sounds aren't following you, so if you get shot while you're a skulk, you can hear the damage sounds behind you, depending on the direction where you are moving. It's really confusing. (Although I'm not 100% if this was only in 193)

<!--quoteo(post=1899568:date=Feb 4 2012, 02:18 PM:name=unkind)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (unkind @ Feb 4 2012, 02:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899568"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->4. Cannot see when people are firing when using alien vision, dunno if this is intended but I don't see why it would be. It's really dumb especially when they have flamethrowers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    But then you'd only see flames which means you wouldn't see anything.

<!--quoteo(post=1899568:date=Feb 4 2012, 02:18 PM:name=unkind)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (unkind @ Feb 4 2012, 02:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899568"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->5. Grenade launchers... The damage versus players is really just kinda stupid. I can see a direct hit killing someone in 1 shot, but it's like a nuke every explosion. Spammy weapons are horrible for this kind of game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The GL is OP because you can also shoot with it like you would with a rifle.
    Alternatively you could turn FF on which would balance it nicely.

<!--quoteo(post=1899568:date=Feb 4 2012, 02:18 PM:name=unkind)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (unkind @ Feb 4 2012, 02:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899568"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->2. How big is the gas cloud radius, if I gas cloud above marines do they take damage or do I have to be at their level?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think it's enough if you fly right above their heads.
    <!--quoteo(post=1899907:date=Feb 5 2012, 04:33 PM:name=Skie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skie @ Feb 5 2012, 04:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899907"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alternatively you could turn FF on which would balance it nicely.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was also thinking of the possibility of FF, but then I realized it would be bad for the marines. On a human-only FPS where both team have similar weapons (i.e. Day of Defeat Source, where Axis and Allied troops are fighting - they both have guns, grenades, etc.), it usually causes a more balanced gameplay with more careful players.
    But here, turning on friendly fire would mostly affect marines since there's a very little possibility that you accidently bite your friend's ass wile being a skulk while there's a much more greater chance to hit your teammate while you are fighting against a few skulks as marines.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->(unkind @ Feb 4 2012, 02:18 PM)
    2. How big is the gas cloud radius, if I gas cloud above marines do they take damage or do I have to be at their level?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1899907:date=Feb 5 2012, 09:33 AM:name=Skie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skie @ Feb 5 2012, 09:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899907"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it's enough if you fly right above their heads.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was testing this offline just yesterday and noticed that if your a lerk on the ground standing directly next to a marine and use your spores, nothing happens. The gas cloud is too low to effect them.
    But if you fly up right about head level or slightly above, then they start choaking.

I think the gas cloud should effect them if you use it while on the ground too.
  • SmasherSmasher Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43732Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1899914:date=Feb 5 2012, 12:16 PM:name=MiniH0wie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MiniH0wie @ Feb 5 2012, 12:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899914"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was testing this offline just yesterday and noticed that if your a lerk on the ground standing directly next to a marine and use your spores, nothing happens. The gas cloud is too low to effect them.
    But if you fly up right about head level or slightly above, then they start choaking.

I think the gas cloud should effect them if you use it while on the ground too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah the area it covers should definetly be increased some, I mean it's gas/spores - gas/spores usually spreads out (slowly) in a room..
    Best defense for a marine agaisnt lerk spores atm is just standing still in one place lol =P
  • WywagWywag Join Date: 2003-08-15 Member: 19759Members, Constellation
    Very nice! Looking forward to playing the final later this year.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1899915:date=Feb 5 2012, 12:22 PM:name=Smasher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Smasher @ Feb 5 2012, 12:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899915"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah the area it covers should definetly be increased some, I mean it's gas/spores - gas/spores usually spreads out (slowly) in a room..
    Best defense for a marine agaisnt lerk spores atm is just standing still in one place lol =P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

the bigger the gas cloud is (or the more it expands) the less skill it takes to use it - the less difference the player makes in how it is applied and how fun it is for them and their opponents

be careful with suggesting mechanics like that!
  • SmasherSmasher Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43732Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1899924:date=Feb 5 2012, 01:23 PM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Feb 5 2012, 01:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899924"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the bigger the gas cloud is (or the more it expands) the less skill it takes to use it - the less difference the player makes in how it is applied and how fun it is for them and their opponents

be careful with suggesting mechanics like that!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well it should at least be a little bigger than the lerk model itself, otherwise you can't gas a stationary target at all;/
  • AtlantisThiefAtlantisThief Join Date: 2010-11-24 Member: 75254Members
    I LOVE YOU NS2 Team,
    you fixed the game for me. I had today my first ~10 minutes to play without any FPS freezes and stuff. It was so great, sadly after the 10 minutes the server started to get all crazy and i dced. Will take a round later this evening and hope to get a slot on the europe servers that arent lagging that much.
    I didnt saw the new things you implented (map and so on), but i saw the performance and it rocks.
    I'm not a facebook fan but still will use the term: "I like" that update!
  • Salraine_ChiSalraine_Chi Join Date: 2011-07-03 Member: 107669Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    +

My performance has improved over the last two builds.
    Hydras are better now and have a use.
    Onos is fun but still needs work. Gather its weak because of balance which is fair enough for the moment until Exo Suits are in.
    New maps are always welcome.
    Loading screens when joining a server are good.
    Never liked jetpacks in NS1 but I am having fun with them in NS2.

-

Had a few black screens which meant a restart. This I havnt had for ages.
    Screen is getting cluttered. Player names are bigger and as aliens I get distracted by the amount of info on screen. Same for marines and the map in the top left is taking up a fair bit of space. Options to disable or toggle on and off when needed would be great.
    I don't like the on screen tips. I know to press E to build without having a big "Press E to Build sentry Turret" in the middle of my screen. Again great if you are new but annoying if you have been playing a while. An option to disable this would also be welcome.
    Options for brightness/gamma/contrast/AA etc would be a good addition.
    Marine jumping spam. I always mention this as its traditional for me too :) HATE IT.

Great build and having fun atm with it. Cheers UW
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2012
    the gas doesnt need to spread, thats overkill.
    it just needs to fall to the ground, like the crop dusting effect the devs said they wanted. that way a lerk can fly overhead (since you cant fly through marines, and going between a pack of them just gets you stuck /shotgunned) and do it's job as a crop duster - still very much in combat. its so frustrating to be such a fast, agile flying creature to be stopped dead in your tracks in order to fight properly. imho at least

ontopic:
    some things i've noticed that need looking into (Forgive me if mentioned previously)

<ul><li>red damage indicators /arrows point in the opposite direction frequently with hydras. (im using inverted mouse, is this the cause?)</li><li>with gorge's bile bomb so powerful and so distant, we need to not have so many vents into marine base, its really frustrating and theres no equivalence for marines, mines dont work against this tactic either. one gorge taking down a base from a location marines cant get access or LOS to is... unbalanced, to say the least.</li><li>onos getting stuck on the ground everywhere on mineshaft (im sure you're aware of this one)</li><li>occasionally a forward placed armory displays weapons that are buyable when in fact they are not, despite furious clicking and ample res. (the console says something to the effect of buy item 127 or something but no res is taken and you dont get the item)</li><li>waypoints should be viewable on the map. PLZ</li><li>we need a "weld me, teamie!" hud notification that we can press, as it sometimes is impossible to get the attention, despite voice or text or flashlight, of your teamate to weld your armor. "press E to repair armor" pop up would be great - but only when requested.</li><li> the mini map up in the top left is useless to me and in my way, severely. i already have a map when i need it. please allow this to be toggleable.</li><li>the flamethrower needs a greater purpose / justification for price. it really should be the anti structure weapon - catching nearby enemies on fire if they touch, with *crippling* effects on a structure that the GL does not provide. balance by making the amount of ammo really sparse?</li><li>onos needs to have his charging ability not be limited to <b>only </b>gaining momentum, while still being something that does not take away from energy. (make it a weapon slot, but have a huge cooldown period) this game is filled with tight corridors and turns more than it is open, long spaces. he would RARELY get the chance to charge anything with this restriction. good idea tho. will it knock down marines? (no dmg necessary)</li><li>turn animations for skulk and onos need the rear of their body to trail or follow the forward part of their body, think of a horse. the current implementation is a spinning top and looks jarring compared to the beautiful animations of leap and charge.</li><li>this one is more of an opinion, but: infestation is now the ugliest thing in the whole game. that trailer looks amazing short of the infestation! its only due to its resolution, too. its an obvious low res image when compared to the surfaces it touches. can we get the resolution bumped in the meantime? if it is, indeed still a placeholder? thx</li><li>still need like a 0.5 sec delay coming out of blink before being able to swipe. if that number is off, then just increase whatever it is ever so slightly. currently, with factors like tickrate and latency, the fade is blinking into existence at the same time he is swiping - always getting a free hit, basically. you could cross the fade's arms in the player's POV to give the cue when swiping is available? it would look dramatic having him unfurl his limbs above his head before striking. :)</li><li>server performance is the only thing performance wise that i notice still needs work. needing 5 ghz to achieve a tickrate of 30 is a steep entrance cost for a server. (great job optimizing the client thus far!)</li></ul>

best patch yet, obviously. great, awesome games so far. really feels like a fleshed out, in depth multiplayer game worthy of mass consumption, just a few more things to iron out first. but the basics like fun, interactive, lasting, coordinating, skillful gameplay are all present. (balance feels great too) great job guys
    <!--quoteo(post=1899944:date=Feb 5 2012, 07:37 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Feb 5 2012, 07:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899944"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the gas doesnt need to spread, thats overkill.
    it just needs to fall to the ground, like the crop dusting effect the devs said they wanted. that way a lerk can fly overhead (since you cant fly through marines, and going between a pack of them just gets you stuck /shotgunned) and do it's job as a crop duster - still very much in combat. its so frustrating to be such a fast, agile flying creature to be stopped dead in your tracks in order to fight properly. imho at least<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, this is not a bad idea, but I would suggest the spore cloude to fade away while falling down which would mean that spores spread on too high would have no effect on marines on the ground, while braver/skilled Lerk's spore cloud would have more effect.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1899944:date=Feb 5 2012, 06:37 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Feb 5 2012, 06:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899944"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[*]this one is more of an opinion, but: infestation is now the ugliest thing in the whole game. that trailer looks amazing short of the infestation! its only due to its resolution, too. its an obvious low res image when compared to the surfaces it touches. can we get the resolution bumped in the meantime? if it is, indeed still a placeholder? thx<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thanks for the feedback. Regarding this specific point, it is not the resolution of the infestation texture that is the problem. It is actually quite large, currently a 2048x2048 texture. The problem is that the decal that uses the texture is being scaled up to such a large size for initial hive infestation that the texture is going to look low res no matter it's resolution. This will be fixed with the final implementation of infestation, which will tile the texture, rather then stretching it up so large, and we'll also be able to add normal maps to the texture (something we can't do just yet for decals), which will give it added detail and depth. But, it doesn't make much sense to spend a lot of time to make the placeholder infestation look better, when that time could just go into working on the final implementation, instead.

--Cory
  • bona vacantiabona vacantia Join Date: 2012-01-19 Member: 141241Members
    Enjoying the new build. Where the servers are capable of maintaining a good tickrate I've had some very good, smooth games. Impressed with the steady improvement since 186.

Keep up the good work UWE.

The Onos seems a bit weak, but I'm sure that he will be brought up to full strength in due course.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Good build yeah, I played way too much this week-end. You need to put more bugs in the next one !
  • rehreh Join Date: 2011-12-11 Member: 137450Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1899944:date=Feb 5 2012, 06:37 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Feb 5 2012, 06:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899944"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->some things i've noticed that need looking into (Forgive me if mentioned previously) //snip<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can only second the nice list of thought out suggestions from ironhorse. Couldn't agree more on the skulk/onos animation.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1899907:date=Feb 5 2012, 04:33 PM:name=Skie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skie @ Feb 5 2012, 04:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899907"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We had a 70+ minute long gather 6vs6 game on mineshaft yesterday. Aliens couldn't win because onoses (onii? ... onii-chans!?) were getting stuck in gap, marines were having a hard time winning because aliens had so damn many buildings (and the commander didn't want to arc-spam). Eventually we won with arc spam and coordinated JP rushes even though at some point we were only stuck in our main base.

When we were on the alien team, I lost a fade twice in a row because I accidentally touched a ladder in operations. Stuck instantly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Our marine round lasted over two hours actually, before we were finally able to end it. Games like that really show the weaknesses of the game as it currently is. Everything from the ridiculous alien spawn rate, to the poor skill scaling of most of the alien classes, massive structure spamming and static defense fueled stalemates.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1899979:date=Feb 5 2012, 01:30 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Feb 5 2012, 01:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899979"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks for the feedback. Regarding this specific point,...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

thanks for the response, Cory!
    yea that is a large resolution, you're right lol
    i totally understand it doesn't make sense for you guys to spend time on a placeholder... but what if a community member wanted to? could it be done?

forgive my ignorance in this area, but if i'm understanding you correctly the issue is the size of the decal that is placed under a hive. if that decal were smaller, then all other infestation hence forth would display that size decal as well, right? so we'd see less actual infestation coverage at the cost of it's better looks? or am i completely off? :)

sorry to bug, i love the texture, works perfect, i'm just one of those guys who unfortunately actually takes note of every little piece of art and texture in a world. (that you paint yourself)
    I had to stop playing id's Rage because of my own texture nitpicking. i took more notice of the low res images, cringing at everything around me, instead of actually enjoying the game. :-/
  • c0kec0ke Join Date: 2004-07-02 Member: 29676Members
    edited February 2012
    i also have to say that the games are lasting much too long

many games last longer than 1h, not rarly 2h, and thats more than the majority wants to spend for 1 round

but i think the main cause is the rubbish reg. fighting an enemy takes 5x as long as it should. obiously hydras and sentries dont have such problems, this makes them pretty strong and welcomes the turtle games

and spores are not really damaging much imo. what actually makes them being worth a atleast a little is the fact that marines cant see through that -gas-, aliens can. so youre kind of blinding the marines. but its way too easy to avoid getting hurt
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    edited February 2012
    Amazing build looks amazing!