Another direct NS2 ripoff

Comments

• Dragon-GuardDragon-Guard Join Date: 2011-07-25 Member: 112159Members
    edited December 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1891017:date=Dec 20 2011, 03:02 PM:name=TheNameIsJambo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheNameIsJambo @ Dec 20 2011, 03:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891017"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nuclear Dawn rings a bell.

That game made me LOL though. It was brutal. It's Natural Selection on the Source engine, without any aliens. And the environments are disappointing, to say the least. The whole game is just <b>bland</b>.

The word 'Average' comes to mind.. Repeatedly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

happen to own Nuclear Dawn, play it next to NS2, used to play NS1 and a lot of Empire, COMPLETELY different games, what your saying is the same as saying SC/SC2 is the same as CnC because you both collect resources and build ######, only 1 is "in space".

<!--quoteo(post=1891021:date=Dec 20 2011, 03:25 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Dec 20 2011, 03:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891021"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nuclear Dawn is Empires without vehicles.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Different from Empires, did you play it? HONESTLY play it? they had a free weekend last week

<!--quoteo(post=1891039:date=Dec 20 2011, 05:26 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Dec 20 2011, 05:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891039"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And costs moneys<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Worth it, bought it as a preorder, still worth its money up to this point and i have been maxed lvl for quite a while now.

I dont get all this hating on Nuclear Dawn, the maps look amazing and are covered in detail if you take the time to look at them, as do the models, although they could use some higher res textures, but thers a matter of where you want to put your resources and source does have its limits.
    The game is good in its own rights, each of the games listed has things the others dont have.
    For example I love how ND has a persistent player and class leveling that unlocks new attachments for you to pick, they give you something extra without making them overpowered to people without them.
    As for the commander part of ND vs NS2, i like ND better by far as it is.
    Also, Exos is overpowered, fades are worse.
    NS1 and NS2 arent gods gift to humanity as the one and only true FPS/RTS hybrid so please stop going all hurrdurr NS ripoff.

<!--quoteo(post=1891114:date=Dec 21 2011, 12:50 AM:name=DooM-AU)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DooM-AU @ Dec 21 2011, 12:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891114"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No they ###### don't, USA has the worst IP law's.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed, US IP laws are horrible, they allow the big name companies to pretty much control anything up to the point of near world wide cencorship.
    SOPA or PROTECT IP anyone?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhwuXNv8fJM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhwuXNv8fJM</a>
    watch this and dare say that again.
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    That map in there i can recognize from Tremulous first game (indie), except that one in the pic is using textures of natural selection of course... and aint talk about the rifle...
  • dobsdobs Join Date: 2011-08-04 Member: 114164Members
    FYI: Nuclear dawn is awesome.

It has minor problems, true. (some minor bugs and a to simple command mode)

I just cant see how anyone could call it a ns2 ripoff 0o. It has been in development for years... If you want to call it dull, bad, etc. compared to ns2 it plays way better atm. (Dont get me wrong, i like ns2 but it plays like an alpha, not beta)
    Please dont see every game that has a commander mode as an empire/ns2 ripoff. Its just one more game of that sort.
  • Death_by_bulletsDeath_by_bullets Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27336Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1891114:date=Dec 20 2011, 06:50 PM:name=DooM-AU)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DooM-AU @ Dec 20 2011, 06:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891114"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No they ###### don't, USA has the worst IP law's.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you look at the US laws and enforcement in terms of the entire world, then they are decent. I can give you numerous cases of IP cases that have been upheld in the US and numerous cases worldwide that have had unfortunate results. The problem isn't pirates in the US, it is pirates outside of the US taking US IP. Because the internet is an international system, it opens up many legal loopholes that often prevents US law from coming into effect.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1891117:date=Dec 21 2011, 12:08 AM:name=Dragon-Guard)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dragon-Guard @ Dec 21 2011, 12:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891117"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Different from Empires, did you play it? HONESTLY play it? they had a free weekend last week<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I was tempted to do so during the free weekend, but the fact they dropped vehicles has really been a deal-breaker for me. Even more puzzling is I believe they said they had some vehicle-code in, and it was decent enough but not perfect, which is why it supposedly wasn't shipped with the game. The maps in the game don't seem fit for vehicles either, as well as the not-so-high popularity of the game currently makes the chances we'll be seeing them added post-release not very likely. Add to this that the commanding-role is reportedly not very in-depth. All of this makes it a bit of a run-of-the-mill team-shooter (I am sure I'm doing it an injustice by calling it that, but the shooter-market is a bit saturated with blandness at the moment, and I was really hoping for more out of Nuclear Dawn).

I also loath persistent ranking\leveling, so that didn't help a lot either (even if it doesn't impact the gameplay significantly, it just leaves a bit of a bad taste).

But no, it certainly is not a Natural-Selection rip-off, it shares the commanding-role but that's about it. If they ever decide to add vehicles (and improve the RTS-aspect) I will be the first to put money in for it, but I fear that won't happen.
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    Aaaand this is my perennial IP discussion obligatory cue to link to whatever article recently appears from the best anti-IP thinkers I know...
    <a href="http://mises.org/daily/5834/Postmarket-Effects-of-Intellectual-Monopoly" target="_blank">Against Intellectual Monopoly</a>.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1891041:date=Dec 20 2011, 08:38 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Dec 20 2011, 08:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891041"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've heard the name tremulous before. Not sure where though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's been around for a while, I just don't think it was a Icrap App..... <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremulous" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremulous</a>
  • measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
    edited December 2011
    This is bad news. What with the SOPA coming to town.. SOPA is basically a law that says "We're bigger than you and we can take all of your funds, your website, everything."
    Just because WE have been developing this game since the early 2000's doesn't mean that a court is even going to hear OUR side of the argument.
    Already, there are something like 5 cases listed where-in big corps have consumed little organizations without the defence ever being heard. Apple is probably trying to bait the trap... What ever happened to kikoman soy sauce as an investor?

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qeEcoi8kEuU"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qeEcoi8kEuU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2011
    <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremulous" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremulous</a>
    <b>Though Tremulous features a similar theme and game-play to Natural Selection,[7] the developers say it is neither based on it nor inspired by it. Development on the game began "long before NS was in the public domain".[6] The similarity in gameplay can likely be accounted for by the fact that the Tremulous team cite an earlier game as a possible inspiration, a Quake 2 mod called Gloom. Gloom may have had a similar impact on the development of Natural Selection.</b>

This got to be a big joke. If you read the entire wikipedia they copied exaclly like the ns1 gameplay and still they dare to say their not copying it. Tsss.... Patetic of them

And if that was true about their development began long before ns1, then why do they have ns2 riflegun in their game right now? Ahhhh I'M PISSED !?!?!?!?
    <!--quoteo(post=1891138:date=Dec 21 2011, 04:31 AM:name=oldassgamers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oldassgamers @ Dec 21 2011, 04:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891138"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremulous" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremulous</a>
    <b>Though Tremulous features a similar theme and game-play to Natural Selection,[7] the developers say it is neither based on it nor inspired by it. Development on the game began "long before NS was in the public domain".[6] The similarity in gameplay can likely be accounted for by the fact that the Tremulous team cite an earlier game as a possible inspiration, a Quake 2 mod called Gloom. Gloom may have had a similar impact on the development of Natural Selection.</b>

This got to be a big joke. If you read the entire wikipedia they copied exaclly like the ns1 gameplay and still they dare to say their not copying it. Tsss.... Patetic of them

And if that was true about their development began long before ns1, then why do they have ns2 riflegun in their game right now? Ahhhh I'M PISSED !?!?!?!?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That Apple-store item is a rip-off, it isn't the official Tremulous-team. And yes Gloom predates both Tremulous and NS by a large margin, and no doubt has had a large influence (directly or indirectly) on both.
  • SparkTRSparkTR Join Date: 2007-02-09 Member: 59913Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    edited December 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1891138:date=Dec 21 2011, 02:31 PM:name=oldassgamers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oldassgamers @ Dec 21 2011, 02:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891138"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremulous" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremulous</a>

And if that was true about their development began long before ns1, then why do they have ns2 riflegun in their game right now? Ahhhh I'M PISSED !?!?!?!?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The Tremulous team are just as much victims as Unknown Worlds are, this appstore release isn't official. Also NS and Tremulous are absolutely nothing alike other than the basic premise of human vs alien, both games vaguely branch off from Gloom and go in radically different directions. Tremulous was great back in the day, it's a pity development has slowed down these past years.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oki thx for answering so quick. I'll sattle down a littlebit before I'll.......
  • dobsdobs Join Date: 2011-08-04 Member: 114164Members
    Hmm i remember installing tremulous, playing it for about 1 minute, then shutting it down. Its not really worth trying if you ask me.
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    edited December 2011
    Gloom was really cool. IT HAD MOVEMENT.

And you can't really say "here's another NS2 rip off" or we might aswell just call this game (NS2) another Starcraft rip off. It's just heavily inspired by.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    Hmm... Well that first picture looks like it was placed there by accident but no doubt this guy has stolen Tremulous.

Any way, if anyone wants to know Nuclear Dawn is 40% off on steam until the 2nd of January (I will probably get it).

With that out the way, nuclear dawn looks like MvM combat but it doesn't look bad. If anything, nuclear dawn is what Natural Selection 2 and that is a FPS game with the 'help' of a commander. Not like NS where they needed the commander.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    What, no one wants to mention Savage?

You had a technological, human team against an organic, non-human team!
    You had an RTS commander!
    You had FPS gameplay!
    You had researches!
    You had resources!

If any FPS/RTS hybrid is a rip-off of Natural Selection, surely it's Savage?!

[I never played it though. I wish I had but I was a) too poor to afford the game and b) too poor to afford broadband]
    <!--quoteo(post=1891145:date=Dec 21 2011, 07:46 AM:name=konata)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (konata @ Dec 21 2011, 07:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891145"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->id-Tech 1\2\3 were really cool. THEY HAD MOVEMENT.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Fixed that for ya.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->too poor to afford broadband<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They have broadband in Australia?
  • TheNameIsJamboTheNameIsJambo Join Date: 2011-12-15 Member: 138071Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1891048:date=Dec 20 2011, 04:54 PM:name=Josh86)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Josh86 @ Dec 20 2011, 04:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891048"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've never played it, but it seems that it was a team-based Quake mod with a human and alien team. I've heard some bad comments from some people that NS is just a ripoff of that -- but I don't think that it's a very nice thing to say about such a unique and fun mod. I never was a Quake player, so missed out on the mod scene then. I was too busy with Playstation games and non-FPS games (Earthsiege or Sierra Games, Heroes of Might and Magic, LucasArts stuff, etc) on computer. It was around '98 that I started getting into heavy computer multiplayer and 3d first person shooters (Delta Force, Tribes, Half-Life, etc).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ditto to that.. Although, I did miss out on the 'early' Quake stuff, but I caught up fairly quickly! I got my first good gaming rig back in 2000! :)
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1891151:date=Dec 21 2011, 11:58 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Dec 21 2011, 11:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891151"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What, no one wants to mention Savage?

You had a technological, human team against an organic, non-human team!
    You had an RTS commander!
    You had FPS gameplay!
    You had researches!
    You had resources!

If any FPS/RTS hybrid is a rip-off of Natural Selection, surely it's Savage?!

[I never played it though. I wish I had but I was a) too poor to afford the game and b) too poor to afford broadband]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Savage and Savage 2 are awesome games though! Why don't you play Savage 2 now then? I think it is free to play nowadays but they sell these random items to make revenue.
  • Deagle2Deagle2 Join Date: 2010-11-30 Member: 75360Members
    Tremulous is a great game, it's just like NS, you have to play it a while before really having fun. And while it's similar to NS in some way, its gameplay is totally different, the alien classes aren't even the same, only that makes a difference. And buildings aren't placed by commander, but by players with an ability to build. I love both games, and I'm just sad there's somekind of flamewar between them.
    Also the screenshot comes from here : <a href="http://tremulous.net/forum/index.php?topic=15071.0" target="_blank">http://tremulous.net/forum/index.php?topic=15071.0</a>
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1891138:date=Dec 20 2011, 11:31 PM:name=oldassgamers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oldassgamers @ Dec 20 2011, 11:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891138"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This got to be a big joke. If you read the entire wikipedia they copied exaclly like the ns1 gameplay and still they dare to say their not copying it. Tsss.... Patetic of them<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Looks like gloom to me.

All creative work is derivative. Natural-selection was highly derivative; it's a mod(it derived so much of its look and feel from the HL engine, example mod and hl engine constraints); and the influences from star craft, the AVP games and the alien(s) movies and gloom is apparent throughout.

<!--quoteo(post=1891138:date=Dec 20 2011, 11:31 PM:name=oldassgamers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oldassgamers @ Dec 20 2011, 11:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891138"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And if that was true about their development began long before ns1, then why do they have ns2 riflegun in their game right now?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Easy, they don't. Did you read the thread at all?

<!--quoteo(post=1891138:date=Dec 20 2011, 11:31 PM:name=oldassgamers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oldassgamers @ Dec 20 2011, 11:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891138"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ahhhh I'M PISSED !?!?!?!?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Quite possible. Resume posting when you sober up in the morning.
  • gorge.ousgorge.ous Join Date: 2011-01-07 Member: 76481Members
    edited December 2011
    Is there any website oder email where you can file a complaint against a Apple Appstore App?

*edit*
    Just wrote a support ticket to the AppStore support explaining the issue in detail. Now I wait for a response, promised within 48 hours.
    But feel free to do this to, as my experience with support employees tell me that the success of your ticket highly depends on who is going to look at it...
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1891170:date=Dec 21 2011, 06:28 AM:name=gorge.ous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gorge.ous @ Dec 21 2011, 06:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891170"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is there any website <i>oder</i> email where you can file a complaint against a Apple Appstore App?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can try sending ein e-mail to appstorenotices@apple.com or filing a copyright claim here <a href="http://www.apple.com/legal/trademark/claimsofcopyright.html" target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/legal/trademark/claimsofcopyright.html</a> but that requires significantly more legwork(e.g. being authorized by uknownworlds to file a claim on their behalf).
  • MOOtantMOOtant Join Date: 2010-06-25 Member: 72158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1891021:date=Dec 20 2011, 04:25 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Dec 20 2011, 04:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891021"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nuclear Dawn is Empires without vehicles.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Stealing general idea and making it absolutely not work isn't copyright infringement. You'd have to reuse art assets or code which they haven't done.
    Oh I was making no such assertion, just gave a better alternative to what Nuclear Dawn might be compared to (instead of NS).
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1891177:date=Dec 21 2011, 03:18 PM:name=MOOtant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MOOtant @ Dec 21 2011, 03:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891177"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Stealing general idea and making it absolutely not work isn't copyright infringement. You'd have to reuse art assets or code which they haven't done.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He didn't say there was any copyright infringement.
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    Savage was fun for a little while, but was ultimately shallow in action gameplay, with no movement skill and simply pushbutton sprinting, etc.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    I remember a marine vs alien game back in quake 2 days.. was it called gloom? or was it somethign else?

I wouldn't be suprised if the whole reason I got into NS was because it reminded me of that q2 mod
    <!--quoteo(post=1891269:date=Dec 22 2011, 02:55 AM:name=ogz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ogz @ Dec 22 2011, 02:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1891269"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I remember a marine vs alien game back in quake 2 days.. was it called gloom? or was it somethign else?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is gloom:

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nhp_-OQgoeY"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nhp_-OQgoeY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
    Look at that movement, hot damn. Makes NS2 look paraplegic.