Biting a gorge = "Heal me"

subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
An idea I came up with when playing NS1.
When you attack a gorge as alien, the attack animation doesn't show up + the gorge gets a message that a teammate <u>near him</u> requires healing (+ some alien sound effect).

I know aliens can ask for healing manuallly, but just clicking the gorge when near him can speed this up.

Comments

• FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just use the "heal me" in the sayings menu. You should (forgot if in NS2 it is in) be shown on zhe Hivemind for the gorge marked as needs heal.

With your way in combat it gets tricky if it was a bite for a marine beside the gorge or a heal request.
  • B1ackSmokeB1ackSmoke Join Date: 2011-01-25 Member: 78855Members
    edited December 2011
    I like where this is going.

Maybe just have it so when an alien uses voice command for healing, any or all gorges in that area can see a little maker on that alien or an indicator.

Kind of like how the Marine Commander gets an indicator from a marine that needs med packs. Just transform that to a gorge in first person.

-B1ackSmoke
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    What about pressing USE on him, instead of attacking the poor gorge?
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1890427:date=Dec 16 2011, 05:08 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Dec 16 2011, 05:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1890427"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What about pressing USE on him, instead of attacking the poor gorge?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Seems more reasonable at least. No potential friendly fire issues or illogical concepts. Considering how much NS2 seems to prioritize the atmosphere it would feel weird to have stuff like bite heal floating around.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    I'd prefer one key for heal me/weld me with the appropriate visual and sound fx like in NS1.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    The 'heal me' button could trigger a whining or yelping noise
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    +use on a Gorge make you "use" the Gorge as a kinda health/energy dispenser like in Half-Life. The problem with this is the Gorge will become a griefing target what with every alien +use-ing it leaving no energy for the Gorge to use :P
  • CataclyzmCataclyzm Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33031Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1890445:date=Dec 16 2011, 04:43 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Dec 16 2011, 04:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1890445"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Considering how much NS2 seems to prioritize the atmosphere it would feel weird to have stuff like bite heal floating around.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It has been mentioned in another thread that each alien class may see the map slightly differently depending on the objectives they tend to "thrive on". For a gorge, this may be some aura that glows from a target that needs healing, whether passively, an ability awarded with the procession of a certain hive type (ex. shade hive), or triggered by +use as suggested.

Or am I not understanding what you are saying?
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1890390:date=Dec 15 2011, 09:49 PM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Dec 15 2011, 09:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1890390"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just use the "heal me" in the sayings menu. You should (forgot if in NS2 it is in) be shown on zhe Hivemind for the gorge marked as needs heal.

With your way in combat it gets tricky if it was a bite for a marine beside the gorge or a heal request.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you're in combat a bite for a marine beside the gorge would probably necessitate a heal request, or healing for the gorge which would achieve the same thing.
    <!--quoteo(post=1890577:date=Dec 17 2011, 01:55 AM:name=Cataclyzm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cataclyzm @ Dec 17 2011, 01:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1890577"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It has been mentioned in another thread that each alien class may see the map slightly differently depending on the objectives they tend to "thrive on". For a gorge, this may be some aura that glows from a target that needs healing, whether passively, an ability awarded with the procession of a certain hive type (ex. shade hive), or triggered by +use as suggested.

Or am I not understanding what you are saying?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think you misunderstood. What I meant was simply that biting a gorge to ask for healing isn't probably the best way to implement a 'heal me' communication message. For example +use on gorge seems already a lot more intuitive and logical concept to me.

I still prefer having a hotkey for heal request though though as it gives you more freedom to move and look around rather than walking and looking right at gorge whenever you need healing.

As for the actual visual implementation I don't really have opinion as long as it isn't overly obstructive. A glowing aura is probably quite alright as long as it's implemented right and in a subtle enough way.
  • CataclyzmCataclyzm Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33031Members
    edited December 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1890756:date=Dec 18 2011, 09:15 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Dec 18 2011, 09:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1890756"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think you misunderstood. What I meant was simply that biting a gorge to ask for healing isn't probably the best way to implement a 'heal me' communication message. For example +use on gorge seems already a lot more intuitive and logical concept to me.

I still prefer having a hotkey for heal request though though as it gives you more freedom to move and look around rather than walking and looking right at gorge whenever you need healing.

As for the actual visual implementation I don't really have opinion as long as it isn't overly obstructive. A glowing aura is probably quite alright as long as it's implemented right and in a subtle enough way.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Roger that.

Hotkey? +Use? Why not both? I'm still in favor of advanced controls that experienced players can program/add/unlock/setup/etc. as these would not detract from the basic controls for new players
    <!--quoteo(post=1890813:date=Dec 19 2011, 03:31 AM:name=Cataclyzm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cataclyzm @ Dec 19 2011, 03:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1890813"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hotkey? +Use? Why not both? I'm still in favor of advanced controls that experienced players can program/add/unlock/setup/etc. as these would not detract from the basic controls for new players<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's kind of situational. Obviously intuitiviness goes a long way and the +use on gorge is a pretty straightforward thing to do. Then again I'd also appreciate that the game doesn't teach players inefficient approaches. With little effort you can probably get everyone to use the hotkey, which leaves them free to use their focus on something else than targetting a gorge and possibly running next to it get the heal request done.

It's kind of situational and depends on how the rest of the game goes.
  • subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    I think I didn't really made my point.
    There would be 2 types of "heal me"-messages.
    One would be visible acros the map, notifying the gorge that he needs to support his teammates at location X.
    My suggestion works on an extremely close scale: "Turn around gorge i'm right behind you!"
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited December 2011
    ^
    Hotkey heal = "Hey everyone, a player needs a heal."
    +Use heal = "Hey you, heal this player."

What is the benefit to using the Hotkey heal? You might not be that near to any gorges, so they can come to you from a couple rooms away.

What is the benefit to using the +Use heal? You don't send the message to every gorge, even a gorge on the other side of the map, and the gorge you select is more likely to stop whatever else he's doing and help you, since the request is specific to him and you are right next to him.