Auto downloading is coming soon, what can we expect?

Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
edited December 2011 in Modding
As Max is working on this at the moment it should hopefully be in <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyN-OJFbC8Y#t=2m50s" target="_blank">build 190</a>, im wondering what mods we can expect to see on servers in the coming months?

Is there anything you're particularly looking forward to, like new game modes, abilities or other features?

Two things id like to see are combat and a grappling hook for the gorge (should be official), it would make him much more fun to play as and more of a nuisance to marines.

Comments

• MotigMotig Join Date: 2008-10-23 Member: 65281Members
    Did he actually say downloading or just map changing? I thought he only mentioned map changing.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I believe I heard him say downloading maps and mods.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    edited December 2011
    Max said maps and mods in NS2HD[327], and just maps in NSHD[328]. I didn't expect to see map-downloading\client-consistency and mod-downloading all in one single build, and the upcoming at that. So either 1 of those features is going to be axed, and postponed, or the upcoming build will take quite a bit of time (I dare say not this year anymore). Unless they're really laying the whip on Max, which isn't unheard of.

In any case, I'm really curious how client-server consistency is going to be implemented exactly, as it will determine the future of subtle mods such as crosshair\alien-vision\camera and many others currently floating around. I wouldn't at all be surprised if almost all of them will be bricked at initial release (depending on how the implementation looks).

Interesting times.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    The three features are map rotation, map/mod downloading and client consistency checking. They're all sort of related features so I was hoping to have them all done for Build 190. At this point, I think it will be a stretch, so those that aren't in 190 will be in 191.
  • Mr MoeMr Moe Join Date: 2009-12-17 Member: 69696Members
    Thank you Max! This is great news.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Frankly, the map rotation and downloading is enough imo. Mod downloading would be great, but I don't really see it getting used that much at this moment.
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    edited December 2011
    I noticed client consistency checks are planned. It would be nice to be able to white list some mods as "Ok to use". This would allow mods like simple crosshairs changes to be considered valid, while code level differences would invalidate a client, etc.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    Was there any mention if the download can be redirected or will it come from the server it's self? I looked and didn't see anything on redirects and map files with custom content will weigh in heavy and may effect server to client bandwidth issues on large player slot or low bandwidth servers during level change, this was an issue with the first ns1 where you would see "connection issues detected" and long hangs during the level change, especially with lower bandwidth servers.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1889022:date=Dec 8 2011, 12:49 PM:name=SN.Wolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SN.Wolf @ Dec 8 2011, 12:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1889022"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Was there any mention if the download can be redirected or will it come from the server it's self? I looked and didn't see anything on redirects and map files with custom content will weigh in heavy and may effect server to client bandwidth issues on large player slot or low bandwidth servers during level change, this was an issue with the first ns1 where you would see "connection issues detected" and long hangs during the level change, especially with lower bandwidth servers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think its important to have that before 1.0 (even well before) but would an initial implementation without it be a huge strain? I can't imagine most servers these days really struggling with the size of maps vs todays bandwidth. I suppose as long as its somewhat throttled that would alleviate any issues also.
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1888982:date=Dec 7 2011, 10:42 PM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Dec 7 2011, 10:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1888982"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The three features are map rotation, map/mod downloading and client consistency checking. They're all sort of related features so I was hoping to have them all done for Build 190. At this point, I think it will be a stretch, so those that aren't in 190 will be in 191.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I cannot express how happy watching those videos about map rotation/downloading made me. Thank you, this is a huge step forward and one I will thoroughly enjoy!
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1889060:date=Dec 8 2011, 07:01 AM:name=endar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (endar @ Dec 8 2011, 07:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1889060"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think its important to have that before 1.0 (even well before) but would an initial implementation without it be a huge strain? I can't imagine most servers these days really struggling with the size of maps vs todays bandwidth. I suppose as long as its somewhat throttled that would alleviate any issues also.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I am not sure how redirected map downloads would work, perhaps someone could elaborate? Would it be something our maps/mods database could assist with? Assuming theres nothing technically well over my head? ;-)
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1889020:date=Dec 7 2011, 06:42 PM:name=McGlaspie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (McGlaspie @ Dec 7 2011, 06:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1889020"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I noticed client consistency checks are planned. It would be nice to be able to white list some mods as "Ok to use". This would allow mods like simple crosshairs changes to be considered valid, while code level differences would invalidate a client, etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's my plan. I will probably post some details on the forum when I'm actually working on it so that I can get feedback and make sure the system will work for server operators/modders.

<!--quoteo(post=1889022:date=Dec 7 2011, 06:49 PM:name=SN.Wolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SN.Wolf @ Dec 7 2011, 06:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1889022"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Was there any mention if the download can be redirected or will it come from the server it's self? I looked and didn't see anything on redirects and map files with custom content will weigh in heavy and may effect server to client bandwidth issues on large player slot or low bandwidth servers during level change, this was an issue with the first ns1 where you would see "connection issues detected" and long hangs during the level change, especially with lower bandwidth servers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think we will have the download go over a separate http connection which could be on the same machine as the server (NS2 already has a web server build into it) or anywhere else on the Internet.
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    edited December 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1889129:date=Dec 8 2011, 10:04 AM:name=Argathor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Argathor @ Dec 8 2011, 10:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1889129"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am not sure how redirected map downloads would work, perhaps someone could elaborate? Would it be something our maps/mods database could assist with? Assuming theres nothing technically well over my head? ;-)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think it's just another source for getting the files you need, so instead of downloading the map or mod files from the game server you instead connect to a different web server so your download doesn't negatively affect the game server bandwidth/performance.

<!--quoteo(post=1889144:date=Dec 8 2011, 11:02 AM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Dec 8 2011, 11:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1889144"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's my plan. I will probably post some details on the forum when I'm actually working on it so that I can get feedback and make sure the system will work for server operators/modders.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Will there be some sign on the server list if there's a mod running or not?

Just thinking it might be a good idea to make it obvious so people know if a server is pure or not, it should be ok though to have community maps on pure servers.
  • cH40z-LordcH40z-Lord Join Date: 2009-07-26 Member: 68269Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1889144:date=Dec 8 2011, 06:02 PM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Dec 8 2011, 06:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1889144"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think we will have the download go over a separate http connection which could be on the same machine as the server (NS2 already has a web server build into it) or anywhere else on the Internet.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Counter-Strike and Call of Duty allows server admins to specify a webdownload server for all downloads, which it also a nice and handy way for multiple servers running on the same machine. You can put all maps and mods in a folder which has the same folder-hierachy as the maingame has and then you enter the URL inside your server-config: done.
  • JowJow Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106032Members
    So are these going to be pretty much straight equivalents for fastdownload and sv_pure in Source or will they work a bit differently?

I hope the conistency check is similar at least, for sv_pure they have 0 for anything is fine, 1 for only original files, and 2 has a whitelist for files that can be changed.

Seems like it'd fit fine for this game too.
  • fsfodfsfod uk Join Date: 2004-04-09 Member: 27810Members, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1889145:date=Dec 8 2011, 04:04 PM:name=Electr0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Electr0 @ Dec 8 2011, 04:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1889145"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Will there be some sign on the server list if there's a mod running or not?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Max really needs to expose a way for mods to add keywords to the server game tag for this and also the ability to add entrys to the rules list
    <!--quoteo(post=1889171:date=Dec 8 2011, 05:16 PM:name=fsfod)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fsfod @ Dec 8 2011, 05:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1889171"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Max really needs to expose a way for mods to add keywords to the server game tag for this and also the ability to add entrys to the rules list<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Additionally allow the max-slots to be altered as well (for the sake of implementing proper reserved-slots). Let me also take this opportunity to point that we're still not able to fetch the server-name\IP\port\max-slots\password from within Lua.
    Two things annoy me, reserved slots that appear to be an almost full server only to kick you when you try connecting and bots appearing as if they're real players, it should be obvious what's going on, if there's a 32 player server with 30 people already playing and 2 reserved slots, it should say so, same with bots, if there's a server filled with bots i want to know before connecting.
  • fsfodfsfod uk Join Date: 2004-04-09 Member: 27810Members, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1889386:date=Dec 9 2011, 01:42 PM:name=Electr0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Electr0 @ Dec 9 2011, 01:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1889386"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Two things annoy me, reserved slots that appear to be an almost full server only to kick you when you try connecting and bots appearing as if they're real players, it should be obvious what's going on, if there's a 32 player server with 30 people already playing and 2 reserved slots, it should say so, same with bots, if there's a server filled with bots i want to know before connecting.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I just experimented with adding support to show the number bots on a server in the server browser of my mod, but i guess max has just hard coded 0 for cBotPlayers parameter for his call to UpdateServerStatus because the bot number returned in the serverinfo packet stayed at 0 after i added some bots to a lan server
    Thanks for trying, hopefully Max will look into that for you, i doubt bots will be much of a problem for a while but if they get some AI we might start seeing them on servers.
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1889015:date=Dec 7 2011, 08:06 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Dec 7 2011, 08:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1889015"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Frankly, the map rotation and downloading is enough imo. Mod downloading would be great, but I don't really see it getting used that much at this moment.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Can't agree with you anymore.
    Did we get this in Gorilla?
    Still no sign this is coming any time soon even though it was expected for gorilla, come on uwe there's many mods around and in the works that should won't be played until we get this!
  • woodywoody SoCal Woody56 Join Date: 2004-02-14 Member: 26541Members
    Anything on rcon access in the works ?
    You mean the HL1\HL2 rcon-protocol? That's what I always read in the phrase "rcon". Anyways, I be working on that.
  • woodywoody SoCal Woody56 Join Date: 2004-02-14 Member: 26541Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1910388:date=Mar 6 2012, 12:52 AM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Mar 6 2012, 12:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910388"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You mean the HL1\HL2 rcon-protocol? That's what I always read in the phrase "rcon". Anyways, I be working on that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Great as I mis using HLSW :)
    Ah, it warms the heart to hear that, with the decline of popularity for IRC and the idea that people should use a web-page to admin their servers made me feel rather melancholic. Glad to see at least someone remembers how servers should be properly adminned. I'm building the RCon-module to work specifically with HLSW (to such a degree that it emulates commands like "status" "listips" and such to maintain full-compatibility with all of HLSW's commands, as well as any PHP\JS-scripts out there written for HL1\HL2's rcon).

Oh, and another +1 for auto-downloading naturally.
    This thread should be probably be closed now, even after all these months the idea of it coming soon is a complete joke.
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1916609:date=Mar 23 2012, 06:09 AM:name=Electr0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Electr0 @ Mar 23 2012, 06:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916609"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This thread should be probably be closed now, even after all these months the idea of it coming soon is a complete joke.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I thought this was a new thread and all this was coming soon...necro :(