Streaming Content

EvangelionEvangelion Join Date: 2006-09-18 Member: 58023Members
Is streaming content important to the development of NS2? I feel like NS2 could benefit HUGELY from having the ability to show games through streaming. NS1 had a pretty good history of competitive tournaments and leagues when streaming wasn't around, and I think taking a model which embraces streaming and tournaments can really help NS2 is the long-run.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    We're already streaming stuff (well I would if my machine/upload could handle it :P) <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=114604" target="_blank">Live streaming NS2 Beta Gameplay</a>

I usually put stuff on YouTube instead, along with loads of other chaps. Live streaming would be awesome though!
  • EvangelionEvangelion Join Date: 2006-09-18 Member: 58023Members
    I know that there are a couple people who try streaming, but overall the game is not really in a state where streaming seems to be working well. Youtube content is available, yes. But I'm more curious as to whether or not UWE has "The ability to stream games/matches" as part of their game plan. I think that certainly if they wish for it to have a competitive scene this is pretty much required.

I know, I for one, would love to see more streaming content available. It'd be nice to see one or two dedicated streamers, as well as some scrims/matches streamed. I know NS2HD has some games available on youtube, but there is a different experience of watching it live.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I think you just answered your own question, the game is indeed not yet ready to be streamed smoothly :)

It would be awesome if there was going to be a demo recorder and something like HLTV. But I think we have to wait for that bit longer...
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1888636:date=Dec 6 2011, 01:20 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Dec 6 2011, 01:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1888636"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It would be awesome if there was going to be a demo recorder and something like HLTV. But I think we have to wait for that bit longer...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not that much longer...
  • nUfl0wnUfl0w Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42412Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1888647:date=Dec 5 2011, 10:28 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Dec 5 2011, 10:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1888647"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not that much longer...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

awww your teasing! tell me your working on it, right now! :D If so I <3 you
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    Actually I've had a working prototype since October, I'm just working on other sections of the mod right now, but I do hope to be able to at least show a video of it in action this month.
    <!--quoteo(post=1888759:date=Dec 6 2011, 05:56 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Dec 6 2011, 05:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1888759"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually I've had a working prototype since October, I'm just working on other sections of the mod right now, but I do hope to be able to at least show a video of it in action this month.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Party in players house when that happens :D
  • nUfl0wnUfl0w Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42412Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1888785:date=Dec 6 2011, 03:25 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Dec 6 2011, 03:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1888785"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Party in players house when that happens :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We are so going to burn down that house on release :D

Dont know the mod yet, but I already admire you for working on it! BIG thx!
  • EvangelionEvangelion Join Date: 2006-09-18 Member: 58023Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1888636:date=Dec 6 2011, 01:20 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Dec 6 2011, 01:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1888636"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think you just answered your own question, the game is indeed not yet ready to be streamed smoothly :)

It would be awesome if there was going to be a demo recorder and something like HLTV. But I think we have to wait for that bit longer...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is good, I think. However, I'mt talking more about appealing to those who don't already own the game. Streaming is an easy platform to gain basically free marketing from. If people know about the game from streamers than there could be a larger audience that is interested in it.

Anyways, my purpose for this topic was to ask if streaming was on the agenda for Unknown Worlds for this project, because as it is right now, its close to impossible to stream it.
  • SantoSanto Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147548Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1889098:date=Dec 8 2011, 12:54 PM:name=Evangelion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Evangelion @ Dec 8 2011, 12:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1889098"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is good, I think. However, I'mt talking more about appealing to those who don't already own the game. Streaming is an easy platform to gain basically free marketing from. If people know about the game from streamers than there could be a larger audience that is interested in it.

Anyways, my purpose for this topic was to ask if streaming was on the agenda for Unknown Worlds for this project, because as it is right now, its close to impossible to stream it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not sure if I should have played gravedigger or opened another thread. Sorry :-S

@Topic:

As during the past months streaming got possible, we should maybe do some kind of a brainstorming what kind of content we should stream. Actually, I've streamed some usual public stuff for the past 2 days. Sometimes a friend just joined me on skype and we just had some fun. Nothing special.

The main question, I personally ask myself is : Is this the content we want to become streamed? Just some public action? Then including friends on skype or some usual commentary? There are like tons of options even on this point tho.

Another way is to organise some gather evenings or something similiar and just stream them back to back.

Guess, If we finally made it to get some decent count, there would be possibilites for like doing some "more depp" ingame stuff, maybe some "talkshows" where "famous" members talk about stuff or w/e.

There are like tons of options we actually have :/

What do you guys think?