Marine backward walk is too slow

WispWisp Join Date: 2007-12-18 Member: 63211Members, Reinforced - Diamond
I like how recent patches have improved marine combat to make it feel more fluid and modern, but there is one element that I still find very bothersome. The backward walk is ridiculously slow, so much so that it feels cumbersome. I understand that this is a balance issue, it helps the Aliens close distance with the Marines... but the tradeoff is too great. I cannot think of another modern first person shooter where moving backwards is so heavily punished.

I think Natural Selection 2 should model the basic infantry level combat after a game like Left 4 Dead. Both games involve asymmetric warfare. One team carries guns and the other can scale walls, leap great distances, etc. On top of this, the mechanics of combat are similar for the Marine and Survivor teams. There are no iron sights, prone, etc. The only difference I can think of is that Marines can sprint. Anyway, the point I am trying to make is that Left 4 Dead is very popular, partly because the shooting mechanics are very fun. If Natural Selection 2 can achieve that same level of satisfaction in wielding a weapon and gunning down Aliens, then the game will be more appealing to new customers. Restricting player movement in anyway hinders this, so I would like to see the very punishing backward walk speed increased significantly.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2011
    L4D does have the disabling of survivor bit though, to give the melee team a way to get close and do their thing. Slow backpedal seems quite a similar approach, but without completely taking away control from the player.
  • PerestroikaPerestroika Join Date: 2011-07-24 Member: 111955Members, NS2 Map Tester
    agreed, this has bothered me for a long while

i basically think about unbinding S every build since its usually just gets me killed
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There are many other games that punish walking backwards but not as hard as NS2 does. L4D2 don't has this but you can't sprint there. I get used to it, ok thats a lie i just cyrclestrafe instead of walking backwards, and if you try to run backwars while shooting in RL you could also sneeze hoping he will get a flu and die by it. Strafing is more usefull than walking backwars at any time.

The problem of the slow movement only exists when you play other games that have another movement (f.e. you need the diopter to aim and hit so your movement will always be reduced when aiming, a thing that doesn't exist in NS2). But I agree that it could be a bit faster. But it doesn't really afect gameplay if you get used to cyrclestrafing. The real punishement is, that you need to turn your back to the aliens to flee. So you have to deside a slow retreat with guns or running like chickens. Thats why it think it fits in the gameplay. But I wouldn't say no to a little speedup but not 100% movement speed.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Personally, I think much of the problem comes from the fact that you hit that slow speed the instant you hit the back key, which feels like you backed into a wall. I'd prefer it if the current backwards movement speed was left in, but the slowdown happened more gradually. So you could do a short move back without much penalty, but a sustained backwards movement is still restricted. Overall I think it would feel smoother, less annoying, but still keep players from backing up out of combat.

Would just need to make sure players couldn't just keep tapping the key instead of holding it down in order to continue moving backwards at a faster speed, but that should be doable.

--Cory
  • stickybootstickyboot Join Date: 2004-01-29 Member: 25711Members, Constellation
    edited November 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1887554:date=Nov 29 2011, 03:58 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Nov 29 2011, 03:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887554"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Would just need to make sure players couldn't just keep tapping the key instead of holding it down in order to continue moving backwards at a faster speed, but that should be doable.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Backpedal stamina bar on the HUD!!!! Think about what a unique feature that would be. :v
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Hehe, the first game ever to have a backwards stamina bar :D Also your nick is simply awesome in relation to this thread!
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2011
    I think the problem with backwards walking is simpler than the instant change in speed. the problem is when you press the backwards key, your speed is decreased, when what should really happen is your <i>backwards</i> speed (or vector) should decrease.

For example, let's say you can move left/straight/right at 5 units/second and back at 2 units/second. If you hold forward and left you'll move at a 45 degree angle at 5 units/second.

Currently if you hold back and left you move a 45 degree angle back at 2 units/second.<i> <b>This seems wrong!</b></i>

What I would expect is to move at something like a 60 degree angle off your backwards vector at something like 4 units/second, so you're moving more left at a reasonable speed, and a little back. There's some math that can be done to get the exact numbers relative to game speed, so it shouldn't require any guestimates.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    You could just make firing slow you down when moving backwards, as the only time it's a problem is in firefights, there's no reason to have it when you're not in one.

Or, more sensibly, you could re-add slowdown on hit for marines, or do something about the general habit of alien attacking being mostly composed of flailing ineffectually at the air while you try to track a target flickering across your screen constantly. It's harder for aliens to hit marines in close combat than it is for marines to hit aliens, because marines tend to have continuous fire or area effect weapons. There's pretty obviously something wrong there.
  • JaweeseJaweese Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58356Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1887560:date=Nov 29 2011, 07:20 PM:name=6john)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (6john @ Nov 29 2011, 07:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887560"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the problem with backwards walking is simpler than the instant change in speed. the problem is when you press the backwards key, your speed is decreased, when what should really happen is your <i>backwards</i> speed (or vector) should decrease.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I agree completely. Movement scalars from things like backwards movement just affect max speed. This causes other weird movement problems, like crouching slowing you down in mid-air.
  • wazups2xwazups2x Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72902Members
    edited November 2011
    The slow backwards movement is probably the only thing I hate about NS2. It drives me crazy.

I really don't understand the decision for the slow backwards movement. If you really want the marines to have a disadvantage while moving backwards why not just make the guns less accurate or something like that? Because gimping the backwards movement makes the pace of the game feel very sluggish.
  • SkwareSkware Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58125Members
    I've had backpedal unbound since NS1. It's a bad habit to use it at all.
    it could be re-worked to have a fair way to be in the game, but hopefully in a way that still lets strafejumping be a viable alternative
    cause i suck at grammar, if the backpedal is changed, i just hope its not too good in fights.
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    backpedal stamina is a genius gameplay mechanic. it should be implemented as kind of a dodge, where you sprint back for a short distance and then slow to walking speed.
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    Yes, a new idea is emerging... you could strafe while turning slightly to the back and jump to dodge backward... er... um... NS1, anyone? How many times must we reinvent the wheel!

For the same reasons the backward glide jump move worked well in NS1, it is a good idea in NS2. But it would be dumbed down a little of course. That's ok I guess.
  • GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
    I like it the way it is ^^
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1887577:date=Nov 30 2011, 04:49 AM:name=Jaweese)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jaweese @ Nov 30 2011, 04:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887577"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree completely. Movement scalars from things like backwards movement just affect max speed. This causes other weird movement problems, like crouching slowing you down in mid-air.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yup he nailed it.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1887555:date=Nov 30 2011, 12:00 AM:name=stickyboot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stickyboot @ Nov 30 2011, 12:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887555"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Backpedal stamina bar on the HUD!!!! Think about what a unique feature that would be. :v<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

2 words:

<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>DO IT</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    Backpedal is fine. You never complained about it in NS1 and it works.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1887611:date=Nov 30 2011, 12:43 PM:name=konata)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (konata @ Nov 30 2011, 12:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887611"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Backpedal is fine. You never complained about it in NS1 and it works.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    NS1 had far better mechanics for dodgejumping and such. As with quite a lot of stuff, NS2 is a bit stuck in a point where it mimics NS1 halfway through but doesn't manage to preserve all the beneficial or necessary details.

I think I'd like to see UWE finding some other solution than giving the backpedal a big speed boost. The backpedal becomes such a dominant and unimaginative option for combat if it's effective to use.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Bring back NS1 movement mechanics imho.
    edited December 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1887577:date=Nov 30 2011, 02:49 AM:name=Jaweese)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jaweese @ Nov 30 2011, 02:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887577"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree completely. Movement scalars from things like backwards movement just affect max speed. This causes other weird movement problems, like crouching slowing you down in mid-air.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Duck+Jump is still going to be revised though, heh it currently also increases your downward momentum like the Lerk :D
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    I support backpedal stamina, but think it should be an invisible quantity, not something tracked on the HUD.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I've disliked it since NS1. It made little sense to implement in NS2 because aliens had no problems closing in on and killing marines before it was implemented.
    <!--quoteo(post=1887630:date=Nov 30 2011, 03:41 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Nov 30 2011, 03:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887630"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Duck+Jump is still going to be revised though, heh it currently also increases your downward momentum like the Lerk :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

don't see why anything +jump is relevant to "w" starting at high speed and slowing to walk speed over a second or so.
    I think if we implemented a strong backwards movement option, and prevented people from jumping while going backwards (which makes sense realistically as well as balance-wise), we'd see a lot less hopping to avoid Skulks and a lot more strafing and skill-based dodging.
    <!--quoteo(post=1887713:date=Nov 30 2011, 09:45 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Nov 30 2011, 09:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887713"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->prevented people from jumping while going backwards.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just cancel out the speed increase when jump is pressed, or to put it another way reduce the backwards stamina to 0 after jumping. Some method that prevents reverse bunny hopping but still allows backwards jumping.
    <!--quoteo(post=1887722:date=Nov 30 2011, 06:32 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Nov 30 2011, 06:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887722"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just cancel out the speed increase when jump is pressed, or to put it another way reduce the backwards stamina to 0 after jumping. Some method that prevents reverse bunny hopping but still allows backwards jumping.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Do we need backwards jumping? It seems to me that it would look awkward, and much more importantly, serve no real gameplay purpose. In my opinion, jumping for Marines should be a movement tool, not a combat or dodging tool, and I can't see how jumping backwards would help outside of dodging.
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    Walking backwards slow is to compensate for the fact that the marine has a ranged weapon.

In earlier releases it was not there.
    Marines simply shot and ran backwards and all skulks were dead.
    It was not fun at all to be an alien ...and it looked rather silly.

They said how did we deal with this in the first one...we slowed the backward speed down...lets do that.

Now that all the history is there ...now try to solve the problem.

If you make it so the marine falls on his butt if he walks backward and fires and gun...i would be fine with that.
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1887713:date=Nov 30 2011, 04:45 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Nov 30 2011, 04:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887713"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think if we implemented a strong backwards movement option, and prevented people from jumping while going backwards (which makes sense realistically as well as balance-wise), we'd see a lot less hopping to avoid Skulks and a lot more strafing and skill-based dodging.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Jumping is often a form of skill-based dodging. Spamming jump, however, is no different from spamming the backwards movement option behind door #2.
    edited November 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1887745:date=Nov 30 2011, 09:47 PM:name=juice)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (juice @ Nov 30 2011, 09:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887745"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Jumping is often a form of skill-based dodging. Spamming jump, however, is no different from spamming the backwards movement option behind door #2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think that jumping to get onto things, or to cross obstacles, is a great form of dodging. Hopping onto a crate or over a railing, for instance.

Jumping to avoid being bitten feels cheap to me as both a Marine and a Skulk, and doesn't seem (to me) like something that should even work.
    <!--quoteo(post=1887737:date=Dec 1 2011, 03:05 AM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Dec 1 2011, 03:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887737"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do we need backwards jumping?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just to preserve the fluidity of the games movement. Restricting movement to "you can only do x when you're doing y unless you're doing z" makes gameplay feel choppy.