NS2 Progress

Comments

• BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    dont remember ever playing Fusion\Sat\Waste. i remember tanith. but not sure what the name of the map was. its the one where marine start is in a room with 2 doors on one side and that was the only way in the base if i remember correctly. at least for one of the maps i seam to remember alien hive always being in the same place.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    On no official ns_ maps was the hive placement ever fixed. It was always random among the 3 allowed alien spawn locations. If you ever saw it, it was a custom game somehow.
    edited November 2011
    that could be the reason usually played on custom maps

only ever played on one of the official maps.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    It's great to see so many more updates and news being posted. The new HUD and visual effects make the game look so much more polished.
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1885520:date=Nov 18 2011, 02:38 PM:name=BJHBnade_spammer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BJHBnade_spammer @ Nov 18 2011, 02:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885520"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->that could be the reason usually played on custom maps

only ever played on one of the official maps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Unless you only played siege maps or combat maps this was also true of all custom ns_ maps. You'd need some sort of plugin to alter the spawn position.
  • nUfl0wnUfl0w Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42412Members
    <!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->BIG appreciation<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> here for the guy(s) working through the weekend. Be sure you also get some rest! We will still be here on monday - nagging :P
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1885779:date=Nov 19 2011, 08:46 PM:name=nUfl0w)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nUfl0w @ Nov 19 2011, 08:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885779"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->BIG appreciation<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> here for the guy(s) working through the weekend. Be sure you also get some rest! We will still be here on monday - nagging :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

UWE are working their butts off (and sometimes weekends) to get 188 in everyone's hands ASAP.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1885738:date=Nov 19 2011, 06:23 PM:name=Soylent_green)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soylent_green @ Nov 19 2011, 06:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885738"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Unless you only played siege maps or combat maps this was also true of all custom ns_ maps. You'd need some sort of plugin to alter the spawn position.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As far as I know, a lot of the siege maps had random spawns as well, sometimes you'd have to go back to get the other hives, sometimes forward.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    edited November 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1885400:date=Nov 17 2011, 06:00 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Nov 17 2011, 06:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885400"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Haha, you lot just got outted as combat-players. Go hide in shame.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I loved combat.
    Internal fan boyism in NS would have you feel guilty, as if you're not actually playing NS when playing the combat mode. This is incorrect. Extra game modes just add diversity, and create a larger player base, it's quite simple to never play a mode, especially if you feel another is superior.

In other words, I hope NS2 has tons of game modes, I would even like to see combat come back. I feel it's a great instant-action game mode that would help new players acclimatize to the NS game world.
    edited November 2011
    Combat had a lot of good points, but also quite a few bad ones.

Personally I'd pefer a blend of the two gamemodes, combat is more reliable than NS, because you don't have to worry about the game collapsing due to shoddy commanding or gorging, but on the other hand the level system didn't really work very well unless you were good at the game, and the maps were a bit repetitive and lacked some of the interesting building-related attack/defence situations you got in NS.

A gamemode like combat but maybe with battlefield style bases to capture, designed for small maps and a bit more action oriented than NS, but still with no commanders and maybe with a change to the level system where lagging behind players get levelled up as the rest of the team progresses, that'd be better than NS1 combat.

But I agree that I would like to see lots of gamemode permutations, allowing them tends to produce some really excellent content out of what can otherwise be some pretty dull games. The Armed Assault series is a prime example. So I'm sure NS2 will get some very fun modes. If they supercede basic NS2, so what? The modding community tried hundreds of variations and made something that more people find fun. That can hardly be a bad thing.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    I actully love both if I want those long more strategic games I would play vanilla NS otherwise for fast paced action and no worries about how much res I have I love to jump in combat and have fun there with the shorter rounds.

I feel like NS should have combat at launch in order to survive longer as a game as I am sure most new players gonna be scared to jump into vanilla NS we all know how it is you do one mistake and everyone on your team is yelling at you. Allso further ahead in the future if NS will be released on console combat would be a perfect fit for that ( playing with controller and what not ).

One more thing I can think of is most of those players who love to rambo their way into a map alone would go for combat mode instead of ruining the experince for us others who work as a team, listen to the commander and do all of his/her orders.

Allso I am not sure how many servers UWE can provide for us after release so having combat and giving the player the option to start a listen server in combat mode for 10-12 players might be a great idea.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1885847:date=Nov 20 2011, 10:59 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Nov 20 2011, 10:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885847"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As far as I know, a lot of the siege maps had random spawns as well, sometimes you'd have to go back to get the other hives, sometimes forward.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

OK. I only remember having played 2 or 3 different siege maps and they all had a single blocky, badly textured hive-room containing all 3 hives and the marines had a siege room just behind the wall to obliterate the aliens when the ~10-20 minute timer ran out.
  • DestroidDestroid Join Date: 2011-10-25 Member: 129240Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1885857:date=Nov 21 2011, 04:29 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Nov 21 2011, 04:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885857"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Personally I'd pefer a blend of the two gamemodes,<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think it's pretty clear there has been a strong move in this direction, with personal resources and purchasing your own weapons.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    Delivered: [188] Flamethrower Ubercharged

I like the sound of this one!
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Technical task Create simplified collision shapes for movement/shooting<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This sounds great! This will help reduce the client prediction load, yes?

Also, does the client try to predict everything in the entire game or just movement/shooting close to the player? Prediction shouldn't include stuff that is beyond the occlusion geometry, and it should only do prediction at a very slow rate for buildings and other non-combat updates that are within range, right?

So I'm hoping that will help client fps.
    i really want the rpg elements combat mode had back in the game as an option for us to play i get tired of the same old rts/fps only mode ns mode was. would be nice to have it the other way.
    Is the next patch planned to be like 188 or smaller and take a week or two like they used to?
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1887359:date=Nov 28 2011, 08:27 PM:name=BJHBnade_spammer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BJHBnade_spammer @ Nov 28 2011, 08:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887359"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i really want the rpg elements combat mode had back in the game as an option for us to play i get tired of the same old rts/fps only mode ns mode was. would be nice to have it the other way.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

many old vets been saying this already many times, I just don't know much how it must be repeated. Currently charlie is mixing combat ideas with NS maps, which is the mess we see now but if he would of kept things separated we would have NS in two different versions in single game, this way everyone can experience it differently.

I hope charlie actually reads this, and understands NS can be more then just one mode rather then mixed mode with messy design.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1887386:date=Nov 28 2011, 11:12 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Nov 28 2011, 11:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887386"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is the next patch planned to be like 188 or smaller and take a week or two like they used to?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We are hoping to have another patch out later this week with a lot of fixes.

--Cory
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    I find the idea of a mixed mode better than several modes. Of course it is going to be harder to get things right, but its better than creating two modes because things are lacking in one. If classic and combat are merged then we have all the good stuff in one. Rather than a classic mode that lacks local fun and a combat mode that lacks global fun.
    <!--quoteo(post=1887402:date=Nov 29 2011, 02:20 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Nov 29 2011, 02:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887402"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We are hoping to have another patch out later this week with a lot of fixes.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds good. Thanks,.
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    With random spawns, it's almost like close spawn is combat, far spawn is classic
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1887359:date=Nov 28 2011, 08:27 PM:name=BJHBnade_spammer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BJHBnade_spammer @ Nov 28 2011, 08:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887359"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i really want the rpg elements combat mode had back in the game as an option for us to play i get tired of the same old rts/fps only mode ns mode was. would be nice to have it the other way.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I suggest you download Combat Mod then. But obviously no one is playing that, yet.
    <!--quoteo(post=1887419:date=Nov 29 2011, 04:48 AM:name=juice)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (juice @ Nov 29 2011, 04:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1887419"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->With random spawns, it's almost like close spawn is combat, far spawn is classic<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Could feel that way some times, mostly because summit is not designed for random spawns, and doesn't fit with random spawns.
    <!--quoteo(post=1885971:date=Nov 21 2011, 05:16 PM:name=Soylent_green)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soylent_green @ Nov 21 2011, 05:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1885971"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->OK. I only remember having played 2 or 3 different siege maps and they all had a single blocky, badly textured hive-room containing all 3 hives and the marines had a siege room just behind the wall to obliterate the aliens when the ~10-20 minute timer ran out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hmm, maybe, I'm sure I played one where there were a bunch of different rooms along the path and you could put a hive in each? Not sure though.

Although yes, blocky and badly textured was present throughout, although some were only as blocky and badly textured as any goldsrc map is.
    Whats up with the progress page?

<b>Development Progress

Fatal error: Cannot use string offset as an array in /var/www/html/plugins/mod_pivotal_tracker.php on line 42</b>
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    only thread that seemed appropriate to post in.

Any info on the vertical surface stretching infestation issue as well as the general overall visual look of infestation?
    and is it still just a placeholder?
    i would love to have a community effort on new visuals..

just curious as i feel its the only ugly part, visually, of the game currently. (armory GUI and main menu are small fries comparatively)
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1888379:date=Dec 4 2011, 04:47 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Dec 4 2011, 04:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1888379"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Any info on the vertical surface stretching infestation issue as well as the general overall visual look of infestation?
    and is it still just a placeholder?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Placeholder, and it's being worked on. :)
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1888096:date=Dec 2 2011, 10:49 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Dec 2 2011, 10:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1888096"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Whats up with the progress page?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'll try and fix this today.

<!--quoteo(post=1888379:date=Dec 4 2011, 02:47 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Dec 4 2011, 02:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1888379"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Any info on the vertical surface stretching infestation issue as well as the general overall visual look of infestation?
    and is it still just a placeholder?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've improved the look of the placeholder for the next release.
  • Lemming JesusLemming Jesus Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71385Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1888514:date=Dec 5 2011, 09:30 AM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Dec 5 2011, 09:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1888514"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'll try and fix this today.

I've improved the look of the placeholder for the next release.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Is the plan to gradually make it better? I thought by placeholder you guys meant it was going to be swapped out entirely when the time came to work on it.