Natural Selection 2 News Update - Mineshaft Reveal

Comments

• saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    Just a question, but will the next patch include the atmospherics so summit can still look just a good as Mineshaft? Excellent work so far, the combat is going to be far more intense then Summit I can tell already.
  • heWantedMeToChangeMyNameheWantedMeToChangeMyName Join Date: 2009-10-22 Member: 69115Members
    I did not consider this earlier, but when the power to a room is cut, do the moving parts stop?
  • ThrillseekerThrillseeker Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60593Members
    edited November 2011
    This is the most amazing map ever :) Btw: Name of background music?
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    BARLOW NICE MAP BRAH
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1883094:date=Nov 1 2011, 07:06 PM:name=saltybp53)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (saltybp53 @ Nov 1 2011, 07:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1883094"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just a question, but will the next patch include the atmospherics so summit can still look just a good as Mineshaft?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, and Pyskoman is currently working on adding atmospheric lights to Summit.
    <!--quoteo(post=1883096:date=Nov 1 2011, 07:09 PM:name=heWantedMeToChangeMyName)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (heWantedMeToChangeMyName @ Nov 1 2011, 07:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1883096"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I did not consider this earlier, but when the power to a room is cut, do the moving parts stop?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not currently, but that is something we'd like to do.
    <!--quoteo(post=1883106:date=Nov 1 2011, 07:45 PM:name=Thrillseeker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thrillseeker @ Nov 1 2011, 07:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1883106"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is the most amazing map ever :) Btw: Name of background music?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    All the music used in the movie was original music created for NS2, and will be available on the soundtrack when we release that. The end music that was playing during the Thirsty Onos scene is actually a track created specifically for that bar room in the map, so that will be playing in game.

--Cory
  • SaschaSascha Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72444Members
    Fantastic news :) ... its shame that the current ns2 haven't any ingame music because the created music is fantastic. :( all in all keep up the great work.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wow, I can't wait to play Mineshaft! You guys have me grinning like an idiot :D
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    Looks awesome, great job.

Any plans to make a larger ARC that can mount that drill for some good ol' hive killing? :P
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
  • CataclyzmCataclyzm Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33031Members
    April Fools!!!

Oh wait :/
  • gobotgobot Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67688Members
    wow the artworks look really nice and the atmosphere of the "real thing" in the video is just awesome! Can´t wait to walk through this map.
  • TimTim Join Date: 2011-07-24 Member: 111958Members
    I strongly suspect that the minecraft facebook post was made to hint at this.
  • TurtleTurtle Join Date: 2002-10-18 Member: 1540Members
    edited November 2011
    My only problem with it is that, due to the lighting choices, the map looks exactly like every other map once you get over the layout.

Try to start varying up the lighting more, subtly tune the light color on each map to help differentiate them more, especially so since you have to use the same art assets so much.

As it stands, way too many of the maps you have use the same plain pure white colored lights, or something close to that.

Even on Earth light varies from area to area. Ambient light color in Los Angeles will tend toward something subtly different than say, Paris, or Cairo.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2011
    E.g. summit:
    If you look closer (or type r_lights 1), there are already subtle light changes from area to area... (greenish, bluish, yellowish, purpleish, redish...)

How strong to you want it? strong green room, blue room, yellow room? ns2_nightclub? :P
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Red Room has to make a comeback somehow though, oh wait never mind we can simply turn the power off :P
  • StreifenHirnchenStreifenHirnchen Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67609Members
    yay, another map in an unplayable game... *facepalm*
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1883196:date=Nov 1 2011, 11:01 PM:name=StreifenHirnchen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (StreifenHirnchen @ Nov 1 2011, 11:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1883196"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yay, another map in an unplayable game... *facepalm*<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The game isn't unplayable, there are plenty of people playing the game on a day-to-day basis and every previous patch has made the game run better and better. With occlusion culling making it into the game as well as other optimization the game should be even more playable than ever before in the near future.
  • blinblin Join Date: 2011-07-20 Member: 111290Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1883178:date=Nov 1 2011, 08:13 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Nov 1 2011, 08:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1883178"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->E.g. summit:
    If you look closer (or type r_lights 1), there are already subtle light changes from area to area... (greenish, bluish, yellowish, purpleish, redish...)

How strong to you want it? strong green room, blue room, yellow room? ns2_nightclub? :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

... and then you need to get the keys from each room to go further: Red key for the red room, green one for the green etc...

:-)
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2011
    Don't forget to take the chainsaw from the secret room!
  • ArcticfoxxArcticfoxx Join Date: 2009-12-11 Member: 69593Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1883122:date=Nov 1 2011, 09:49 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Nov 1 2011, 09:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1883122"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, and Pyskoman is currently working on adding atmospheric lights to Summit.

Not currently, but that is something we'd like to do.

All the music used in the movie was original music created for NS2, and will be available on the soundtrack when we release that. The end music that was playing during the Thirsty Onos scene is actually a track created specifically for that bar room in the map, so that will be playing in game.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

AWESOME. just AWESOME. that is all.
  • MOOtantMOOtant Join Date: 2010-06-25 Member: 72158Members
    Rocks appearance is a big letdown. They just look cheap, I don't know how to describe it. Maybe self-shadowing trick from EP2 and/or directional bumped diffuse would help. I'm quite sure that people will be seeing these rocks for hundreds of hours and they'll see every tiniest problem with them.
  • JydskatomkraftJydskatomkraft Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60123Members, Constellation
    I am looking so much forward for the next patch. I love the improvements being done to the engine these days (they were also needed) and if the new map feels smooth to play it will rock my world!

I am huge fan of NS and I support you guys. Next time I pass San Francisco beers will be on me. (said by the Danish guy)
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    Nice map looks great, however i hope we see a bit more variety in the environments we get to play, as good as the refinery and rocky theme is for a dark style, i hope we'll get something a bit lighter and more visually interesting, like alien start is in summit, im thinking outside maps with lots of vegetation and in various kinds of environment, science and military facility's, space ships and stations etc, i just hope this style won't be ns2's only one.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1883072:date=Nov 1 2011, 09:33 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Nov 1 2011, 09:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1883072"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, this map is much larger in size, and closer to NS1 maps, so it is aimed at larger player groups, of about 16-20. As Insane already mentioned, the Drill does sway like that in game, but it's an animation, not interactive physics. But we still have plans to have that at some point, so cables can sway when hit, crates and barrels can move, and hopefully this hanging drill could also be moved from player interaction eventually as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Crates and barrels already work like that in the game, we just don't have it setup anywhere. However, we don't have any way of setting up a more complex physical system -- like a chain or a cable -- yet.
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    Awesome looking map.

I loved the play back and forth between the preproduction artwork and the actual shots of the map.

Keep cranking you guys ...you rule.

-chris
  • TAPETRVETAPETRVE Join Date: 2011-02-08 Member: 80866Members
    Holy hellhole, this looks amazing. Can't wait for the map to be released upon us. Been a while since I last played a match, but I guess it's about time I get my behind back in gear and start following the newsfeed again.
  • ikirikir Join Date: 2003-07-19 Member: 18265Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    Simply awesome! Happy birthday NS!!
  • snooopssnooops Germany Join Date: 2008-12-08 Member: 65702Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2011
    Is the train controllable? That would be nice, i mean the quake engine was allready able to do that, why not the high loved ns2 engine?
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1884391:date=Nov 9 2011, 12:59 PM:name=snooops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snooops @ Nov 9 2011, 12:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1884391"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is the train controllable? That would be nice, i mean the quake engine was allready able to do that, why not the high loved ns2 engine?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The quake engine wasn't written single handedly by one person. Now that Dushan joined the team and there are two persons working on the Engine maybe we will have lifts, controllable trains etc someday. Especially now that they updated the PhysX to version 3 which includes some kind API for vehicles.
  • MooseMoose Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16248Members
    Sexy stuff !!!

Cant wait to play on this.