Natural Selection 2 News Update - Mineshaft Reveal

Comments

• playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    Most interesting part was at the end, is that biodome? Mineshaft doesn't seem to deviate from the existing industrial-theme that much, but the bit at the end does.
  • GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
    edited November 2011
    Could be ns2_docking if it's not mineshaft.

The maps look pretty good :)

I just hope a map cycle is in place BEFORE they release any new maps :-)
  • SpaZSpaZ Join Date: 2003-06-11 Member: 17256Members
    well that made me moist indeed
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Great work UWE - wish I was working in your art department!

Looking more solid and professional with every update with a real attention to detail. I thought the new logo animation was fantastic, and I haven't even mentioned the map!

Happy Birthday and good luck with everything!
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited November 2011
    Very cool i like the onos hint ^^
    Mineshaft look nice, very "alive" i am very excited to see how big it is, its the first official "real" map right?
    <!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->But i would love to see some ship map or<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

Oh and Happy anniversary
  • ArcticfoxxArcticfoxx Join Date: 2009-12-11 Member: 69593Members
    OH-MY-GOD! That is simply a work of true art! Thx so much to the team and Sgt. Barlow!

This had me almost jizz in a certain place, especially when i saw that bar!

Has to be a readyroom implementation where everybody can hang out and just chill with eachother, instead of all the senseless killing :)

Some drinks and of course gorges for bartenders (Onos topless on a strippole maybe? :)
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    Map looks great, I am assuming this level will be aimed at a larger player group if it's that much <b>larger</b> than current maps. Are we going to lean towards ns1 size maps?

The giant drill bit swaying..... a cinematic or is there actually user interactive physics on props? I would hate to see a video aimed at selling to be misleading on what the engine can really do.

I would be disappointed if it where to end up like killing floor where everything that is animated is enclosed by invisible walls <i>(collision_geometry)</i> so you can't interact with it <i>(big gears in foundry level)</i>, not like the world would end, it would still be pleasing to the eye but none the less misrepresenting the capabilities of the engine.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1882993:date=Nov 1 2011, 08:35 AM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Nov 1 2011, 08:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1882993"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mineshaft look nice, very "alive" i am very excited to see how big it is, its the first official "real" map right?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Nope, Tram is also an official map.
  • ale'ale' Join Date: 2011-08-06 Member: 114689Members
    Looks sweet, especially the alien start. Fantastic work. I hope map rotation is in the game soon, too!

Oh, and happy birthday! Can't believe it's been nine years.
  • SkipjackSkipjack Join Date: 2005-04-13 Member: 48323Members, Constellation
    a map? :(
    I was hoping for +20fps. That would actually make me play the game again.

I hope this time mineshaft will acutally be a fun and playable map :S
    if you are unsure whether a map will be successful or not compare the general brightness to other maps.
    good maps: veil, tanith, eclipse, hera, lucid (+nearly all of the rest) bad maps: mineshaft, altair they were never played and by never i mean NEVER
  • MrYiffMrYiff Join Date: 2004-08-24 Member: 30867Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1882996:date=Nov 1 2011, 08:21 AM:name=SN.Wolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SN.Wolf @ Nov 1 2011, 08:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1882996"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Map looks great, I am assuming this level will be aimed at a larger player group if it's that much <b>larger</b> than current maps. Are we going to lean towards ns1 size maps?

The giant drill bit swaying..... a cinematic or is there actually user interactive physics on props? I would hate to see a video aimed at selling to be misleading on what the engine can really do.

I would be disappointed if it where to end up like killing floor where everything that is animated is enclosed by invisible walls <i>(collision_geometry)</i> so you can't interact with it <i>(big gears in foundry level)</i>, not like the world would end, it would still be pleasing to the eye but none the less misrepresenting the capabilities of the engine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep, I think mineshaft is definitely aimed at bigger servers with probably 20 players being minimum for decent games (of course it may still play ok with smaller numbers of players but I think it will shine once we can get more people playing it at once).
  • MrYiffMrYiff Join Date: 2004-08-24 Member: 30867Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1883001:date=Nov 1 2011, 09:10 AM:name=Skipjack)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skipjack @ Nov 1 2011, 09:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1883001"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->a map? :(
    I was hoping for +20fps. That would actually make me play the game again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Don't worry, while Marc has been working on Mineshaft, Max has been working on other things engine related that will help things, hopefully these will be in the 188/189 patch (depending on whether there is a smaller 188 bugfix patch before the ns2 tourney or not I guess).
  • tritoptritop Join Date: 2011-09-09 Member: 120632Members
    edited November 2011
    This map looks awesome! Can't wait to play it.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1882996:date=Nov 1 2011, 08:21 AM:name=SN.Wolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SN.Wolf @ Nov 1 2011, 08:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1882996"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Map looks great, I am assuming this level will be aimed at a larger player group if it's that much <b>larger</b> than current maps. Are we going to lean towards ns1 size maps?

I would be disappointed if it where to end up like killing floor where everything that is animated is enclosed by invisible walls <i>(collision_geometry)</i> so you can't interact with it <i>(big gears in foundry level)</i>, not like the world would end, it would still be pleasing to the eye but none the less misrepresenting the capabilities of the engine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's a cinematic. Don't worry about the collision though, that's being looked at right now, so you should see something more sophisticated than a big box.
  • PampelmusePampelmuse Join Date: 2005-04-06 Member: 47641Members
    what a nice 9th anniversary present for the community <3
  • reavenreaven Join Date: 2011-09-30 Member: 124664Members
    Looks really amazing, cant wait to play it!
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    Oh! Looking pretty awesome!
    Too bad it is so big and contains 6 tech points. Sounds like doesn't suit competetive play, atleast not 6v6 very well.
    Hoping to see Mineshaft and map rotation in the next patch. :)
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Your atmospheric lighting looks very nice, and I am also interested to see how the game plays out on a bigger map.

The map looks good, although if I had a suggestion, it'd be more particle effects. The paintings have a lovely sort of washed out look to them, which the map sort of lacks, although obviously it might not be good for gameplay to make it too obstructive.
  • ap0ap0 Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130515Members
    Amazing !
    I really like the atmosphere of the alien's spawn area.
  • Josh86Josh86 Join Date: 2010-12-06 Member: 75513Members
    Mappers did a good job from the concepts to implementation, especially Central Drilling. Marine Spawn felt a little less detailed than the concept (floor textures giving that impression) -- do you have any technical art tricks to add some additional detail to certain areas?

I really enjoyed the reveal video. A couple things caught my eye in particular:

The atmospheric lighting being cast from behind the drill bit/assembly. It looked very nice. Is this any hint to the implementation/optimization of atmospherics (Can I call it that? Is this what volumetrics falls under?).

The vertical conveyor system. Very cool. I read Insane's post about part of the video being rigged cinematics. Is it planned for there to be actual movement with props? I remember talk about conveyor belt systems before and movement. I did notice the belt conveyor was static. The pulverizer I assume was also rigged?

The last little bit in the clean looking corridor with the Fade. I'm really liking that look and feel. It's a nice switch from the worn and dirty look of the other maps. Is that 'outer space' I see through the window panes in the ceiling?
  • PeabushPeabush Join Date: 2007-07-13 Member: 61575Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What new logo???

Great looking map btw.
  • ShalfaShalfa Join Date: 2011-10-19 Member: 128261Members
    Thank you so much! You're the best developer I know :) I mean you litsen to the community and such I'll never regret that I bought NS2, Thank you!
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1883039:date=Nov 1 2011, 01:19 PM:name=Josh86)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Josh86 @ Nov 1 2011, 01:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1883039"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I read Insane's post about part of the video being rigged cinematics. Is it planned for there to be actual movement with props?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I may have misunderstood you but I want to clarify anyway. When I said "cinematic" I didn't mean that it's something that's been set up purely for the video. I mean that it's a dynamic prop with pre-configured animations. Earlier this morning I decided that the cinematic editor was a step in getting that into the level, but now that I've woken up a bit I've remembered that it's a prop_dynamic, just like the spinning fans in the levels that have already been released. We do use custom cinematics for some animated pieces though, such as the spinning warning light.

So you'll see the drill swaying in-game. We've been creating a number of different animated environment pieces that you'll see in Mineshaft and in other, un-revealed maps.

The atmospherics (what we call the volumetric light effects) have been hugely optimised and now look superb in-game. They should turn up in an upcoming build, certainly by the time Mineshaft is released.
  • DogbiteDogbite Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27329Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That's it, time to sell a kidney and build a machine that will run this game!
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    just wait this map is beautiful, but I have to say the first time I saw it I sat in front of the waterfalls for like 20 minutes. So Beautiful!
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1882994:date=Nov 1 2011, 07:36 AM:name=Sansa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sansa @ Nov 1 2011, 07:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1882994"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Has to be a readyroom implementation where everybody can hang out and just chill with eachother, instead of all the senseless killing :)

Some drinks and of course gorges for bartenders (Onos topless on a strippole maybe? :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The Thirsty Onos Bar is actually in our other map, NS2_Docking. And it's actually in the gameplay part of the map, not the readyroom. It looks very cool, and we can't wait to show it off.

The giant drill bit swaying..... a cinematic or is there actually user interactive physics on props? I would hate to see a video aimed at selling to be misleading on what the engine can really do.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, this map is much larger in size, and closer to NS1 maps, so it is aimed at larger player groups, of about 16-20. As Insane already mentioned, the Drill does sway like that in game, but it's an animation, not interactive physics. But we still have plans to have that at some point, so cables can sway when hit, crates and barrels can move, and hopefully this hanging drill could also be moved from player interaction eventually as well.
    <!--quoteo(post=1883039:date=Nov 1 2011, 01:19 PM:name=Josh86)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Josh86 @ Nov 1 2011, 01:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1883039"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mappers did a good job from the concepts to implementation, especially Central Drilling. Marine Spawn felt a little less detailed than the concept (floor textures giving that impression) -- do you have any technical art tricks to add some additional detail to certain areas?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    One thing that can help with that, which is on the feature request list, is the implementation of decals in the level editor. So, the dirt patches and streaks and the stuff like that could be placed as decals, which will add an extra level of detail.
    <!--quoteo(post=1883039:date=Nov 1 2011, 01:19 PM:name=Josh86)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Josh86 @ Nov 1 2011, 01:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1883039"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The atmospheric lighting being cast from behind the drill bit/assembly. It looked very nice. Is this any hint to the implementation/optimization of atmospherics<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, the atmospheric lighting has been optimized and will be in the next patch.
    <!--quoteo(post=1883039:date=Nov 1 2011, 01:19 PM:name=Josh86)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Josh86 @ Nov 1 2011, 01:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1883039"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The vertical conveyor system. Very cool. I read Insane's post about part of the video being rigged cinematics. Is it planned for there to be actual movement with props? I remember talk about conveyor belt systems before and movement. I did notice the belt conveyor was static. The pulverizer I assume was also rigged?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The crusher part of the machine is animated to smash up and down once in a while. Eventually we'd like to make it so that it can hurt or kill players if they get caught when the crusher drops down as they are going through there (its a secondary route to the hallway next door). The conveyor belt itself will also eventually be moving, but we need to use scrolling textures, which is tech we don't have yet, but is coming soon.
    <!--quoteo(post=1883039:date=Nov 1 2011, 01:19 PM:name=Josh86)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Josh86 @ Nov 1 2011, 01:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1883039"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The last little bit in the clean looking corridor with the Fade. I'm really liking that look and feel. It's a nice switch from the worn and dirty look of the other maps. Is that 'outer space' I see through the window panes in the ceiling?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, that is not outer space. The hallway, as mentioned before, is from the Docking map, which is also part of the same Refinery art set, and shares the same skybox as Tram, as its meant to be part of the same facility. However, the map has a very different look, since half of it is meant to be the living and leisure part of the facility for the employees, so it is cleaner and less industrial then the Mineshaft and Tram.

--Cory
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1883072:date=Nov 1 2011, 05:33 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Nov 1 2011, 05:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1883072"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Thirsty Onos Bar is actually in our other map, NS2_Docking. And it's actually in the gameplay part of the map, not the readyroom. It looks very cool, and we can't wait to show it off.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I guessed that :P
  • ZehtukaZehtuka Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72853Members
    Excellent work on the video, looks like an interesting map for sure.
  • phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Given the size of this map, how long would it take for a gorge to get to where the action is, or would they be better off skulking to where they want to be and gestating ?

(it could be an awful lot of running around for a very short lifespan where the action is)
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    Nice ,thanks for the "to the point" replies!! I was losing interest as i felt that i way overshot map size but now i'm thinking i can have another go and re-evaluate my levels and find some happy mediums.