Pistol dmg change

CygoneCygone Join Date: 2011-05-29 Member: 101528Members
<div class="IPBDescription">What does it mean?</div>•Changed pistol damage type from Heavy to Light and increased primary damage from 20 to 25 and alt from 30 to 40 ("finisher")

How does this work in the game? what benefits and what not ?

Comments

• SwampRatSwampRat Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13369Members
    In addition to that, how does it compare to the rifle and does it feel right in comparison?
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2011
    i believe pistols were armor-penetrating rounds before (did double damage to armor).
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    only the secondary was "heavy" dmg if im not wrong... so they buffed primary, and changed secondary to only be less effective against armor - and a bit more effective if no armor.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2011
    i think it makes the pistol a little overpowered vs unupgraded skulks; the secondary fire is a 2 shot kill with weapons 1 vs no armor upgrades i think. it'll make it a slightly more interesting choice of armor 1 vs weapons 1 for marines and crag vs shade for first chamber.

*edit* nvm weapons 1 vs no carapace leaves a skulk at 1 hp
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited October 2011
    Pistol has always been a Skulk killer; with speed and accuracy.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Yeah, but 2 shots...
    Wheeee: is the 1 hp if they're standing on infestation? I'm thinking the passive regen might... well, I guess 2 shots go off too fast for that to kick in.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    It means it's worse against fades but better against skulks. As if marines needed to be better against skulks.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1879393:date=Oct 11 2011, 08:31 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Oct 11 2011, 08:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879393"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, but 2 shots...
    Wheeee: is the 1 hp if they're standing on infestation? I'm thinking the passive regen might... well, I guess 2 shots go off too fast for that to kick in.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No 3 hits. WP 1 Alt-Pistol does 44 DMG skulk has a total of 90 hp with A 0. ( 1 armor absorbs 4 light dmgpoints)
    But its faster when you use primary mode it deals 28 dmg so its a 4 hit kill then but it is faster.

<!--quoteo(post=1879402:date=Oct 11 2011, 08:51 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Oct 11 2011, 08:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879402"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It means it's worse against fades but better against skulks. As if marines needed to be better against skulks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Alot weaker! If marines have weapons 3 the Alt-attack does 52 dmg and a fade with Armor 3 has a total of 800hp (Light:Every armor point of the target will absorb 4 points of damage) . So with 16 shots he is gone. And you would need 25 shots with primary-mode to kill a fade.

Compared to the old heavy model.
    15 shots out of primary-mode and 9 for the alternate-mode ( WP 3 and A 3)

Normal damage wouldn't change much. You would need 16 and 10 shots with the new dmg values.

Now the Marines lack on a good ranged weapon. Those changes dropped the power of the pistol to almOst 60% of the old model. An alt shot out of it with WP 3 are blocked by just 13 Armor.
    So its is just 1 shot weaker.
  • RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
    Change it back, or at least give me some other Armor Piercing weapon.
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    Yea i was also surprised about this. I remember people complaining about pistols being a good starter weapon since it did extra damage against armor, but think about it, skulks only have 5 armor, the heavy damage type didn't really make all that much of a difference, and it made it so the pistol was still somewhat useful against a fade.

It all sounded good on paper for light damage for the pistol, but i think it really needs to be re-considered.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    edited October 2011
    The pistol was overpowered before. As much as I loved using it you have to admit that taking all of a fades armour off in 1 clip was crazy.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    the pistol was (also alt fire) HEAVY damage. that means when you encounter a fade (or anything with armor) -> switch to pistol and get all bullets into that enemy to maximize your damage output. once a target has no armor anymore, the rifle, or any another bullet weapon, will be the better choice.

now the pistol is the opposite: it deals LIGHT damage, that means once you ran out of ammo with your primary weapon, switch to pistol since the target most likely will already have less or no armor -> more damage.

most people will feel this change as a buff to the pistol, since they used the pistol anyway as a last resort (which was actually a bad choice before build 187) on targets with no or less armor.
    I used the pistol to down smaller aliens by the dozens and conserve my primary for actual threats.
    <!--quoteo(post=1879413:date=Oct 11 2011, 09:56 PM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Oct 11 2011, 09:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879413"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The pistol was overpowered before. As much as I loved using it you have to admit that taking all of a fades armour off in 1 clip was crazy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would prefer another way to do it, yes, but it did give the pistol some utility in the late game, as well as being just about the only remotely useful marine weapon against the fade.

The change only makes the pistol more stupid at the start, and more useless at the end. It's not improving anything on its own.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The problem I see is that now only the SG is effective vs well armoured units Fades/Gorges at horrible range compared to the pistol. And this changes alot. A group of marines with only 1 hitting the Fade with pistol and the rest with LMG could easy take out a Fade. ( pls don't start a discussion about this)
    The good side is it takes much longer to snipe cysts with pistol and this is good.

Maybe puncture DMG with the old number could be something. It could force the pistol to an allrounder (maybe only for alt mode).

Also if I have an LMG and no more ammo it is way more effective kicking the alien with the LMG than switching to the Pistol (ok that counts not for the Fade). Reason is with 50 LMG bullets you kill any alien even if you have weapons 0 and the aliens armor 3 if you did not you're, 90% of the time, in close combat so slow switching to the pistol is often the wrong choice.
    For the other guns you have no other choice.

And a last point. To be a finishee you should have a chance to switch to the pistol and shoot, but often till you switched to the pistol the kharaa are gone. So it needs a faster switching.
    As a starter it doesn't need to be faster.
    Solution:

Primary Fire is Light Damage, Secondary is Heavy
  • CygoneCygone Join Date: 2011-05-29 Member: 101528Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1879434:date=Oct 12 2011, 01:13 AM:name=Raneman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raneman @ Oct 12 2011, 01:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879434"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Solution:

Primary Fire is Light Damage, Secondary is Heavy<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    I still don't get why the pistol MUST have light damage, even if it's only for primary fire mode. Is it because of a dissatisfaction with having the pistol be slightly more effective if used first, rather than last? I would agree that it should be reworked, however not if it impacts balance in a negative way.

Can't we at least make it normal damage, so its not completely useless against fades that have armor. Lets say a full pistol clip would do 250 damage, at normal damage that would mean a full pistol clip would do 125 damage to a fade's armor. That's assuming a fade would allow you to pump a full pistol mag into him, and lets be honest, most encounters with fades happen well after fades have gotten armor 3, which would leave the fade with 25 armor and the amount of time it taken for you to pump 10 pistol rounds into him, to swipe you 2-3 times for the kill. Even with weapons #3, which increased damage by 31%, thats still 163.73 points of damage against armor, which some of that damage is going to carry through to the fade's health, leaving it with more armor.

I'd say that's about fair, since there is going to be a multiple number of fades on the battlefield at any given moment, since once the 2nd hive goes up, multiple people are going to be able to afford a fade at once. This means a individual marine is going to need a somewhat significant way to combat a Fade, possibly even more than 1 at once.

Now the way it currently is that light damage does 1/2 damage against armor. That means a full mag of pistol ammo, that still does 250 damage is going to do 62.5 points of damage to a fades armor. That would be significant if you were dealing with a fade with zero armor upgrades, but that quickly changes, as armor 3 triples the fades armor, while Weapons #3 increases damage by 31%. A weapons #3 marine with a pistol doing light damage would do about 81.9 points of damage to a fade with an entire mag full of ammo, which the fade most likely has armor#3, would still have 68.1 points of armor. That's hardly what i would call fair, since the pistol does negligible damage to fades with any amount of armor.

What does all this mean? we've made the pistol significantly less effective in dispatching fades, which i wouldn't have called overpowered before, since pumping a whole mag, which is somewhat hard to do with shifting hitboxes, ping, and increasingly unstable servers after hours of game time that NS2 rounds tend to last. At the same time, we've made pistols more effective towards lifeforms that lack a large amount of armor, namely skulks which have a low amount of armor, making the entire justification behind making the pistol a "finisher" rather than a "starter" practically void. with 250 points of damage, 50 points higher than before, against a skulk that has 70 hp + 5*2(*2 due to light damage modifier) makes the pistol more effective overall against skulks.

All this put together, this has increased the disparity between aliens with a 2nd hive and without a 2nd hive, making tier 1 even more obsolete with its primary class being skulks, and making tier 2 more proficient, with its primary class being fades. This isn't the direction the game should be going at this point in my opinion, the 2nd hive is already critical enough, it unlocking fades, additional energy, and skulk leap, all of which is fine to me, however it does not need to be further intensified past that point. This post has been way longer than it probably should have been, but i wanted to voice my thoughts on this topic clearly.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    I'm not playing very often fade (I do from time to time, usually gorge, comm, or marine). But from my perspective of the game the pistol was doing too much damage as a starter weapon. you see a fade -> pistol and pump the mag in him -> fade retreats! i did this several times as marine, since I knew how effective heavy damage is. that bothered me somehow, especially because most marines did not know that! there was once a pistol related thread, where people discussed that weapon, when to use it etc. Nobody said that it's actually a starter weapon, dealing most damage against fade (because of high armor) and should be used before any other weapon. also on public servers i barely seen any marines running around with the pistol in case their primary weapon was reloaded and ready.

so this change, even if you don't like it, will not affect 80% of the players. The play style was wrong, now the weapon fits to that. If that change would not have come, people would complain later about it (with that exact argument, pistol is too strong against armor)
    The problem is that the pistol has gone from useless except for its power against fades, to just useless.

Why have the gun if it's just going to be useless?
    you call 250 extra damage (even if it's just light) useless? The reason why you might think like this could be, that you are allowed to cancel rifle reload (you don't need to switch, your primary weapon is almost always ready). if you would be forced to change weapon in order to cancel a reload, you might not see it as such a problem. also, the rifle accuracy is pretty high currently, which makes the pistol alt fire shine less.

so here are 3 things that could change in order to make the pistol more useful (treating the cause, not the symptome):

- reduce weapon switch delay from primary to pistol
    - increase a bit the bullet spread from rifle, to make the pistol the right choice for big distances
    - prevent cancellation of rifle reload by fireing the weapon

now imagine a game with those 3 changes included and tell me the pistol, especially when considering the high damage against health, is useless.

but even without that changes: 250 almost instant light damage is a lot.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2011
    I can't wait to try Build 187!

The Pistol damage change sounds interesting. One clip of pistol ammo is now capable of dealing up to 400 damage. Since Cysts don't have armour, this could make Pistol the ideal weapon for sniping Cysts. Drifters, Eggs and are Shades are perfect targets waiting to be sniped.

When Pistol damage type was Heavy, it created confusing choices for marines. Since the Pistol was more effective against armoured aliens, marines had to initiate the fight with pistol to maximize their damage. However, the Pistol was a poor weapon for defending against surprise attacks. Shotgun and Rifle make much better travelling companions than the Pistol.

Now, the Pistol deals increased damage against unarmoured foes, making it a better backup weapon than it used to be.

I think another reason why this change is needed is the upcoming (re-)introduction of the Onos. The Pistol is readily available to all marines. Such long ranged, low-tech Heavy damage would undermine the Onos' role as the tank.
  • BamBam!BamBam! Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104527Members
    edited October 2011
    Agreed, this is a pre-emptive change that doesn't make too much sense in this build but is meant to modify our reliance on the pistol for armour damage prior to the Onos' appearance.
  • CygoneCygone Join Date: 2011-05-29 Member: 101528Members
    Ok, how about then we add a 'new' pistol to the armory that fire 'Heavy' dmg, for 10/15res?

Best of both worlds?
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    I will miss my fade busting pistol definitely I've probably gotten more fade kills with it than any other weapon really, but I suppose popping skulks and cysts even easier is okay.. and yeah this issue will be gone when the new heavy weapons are added along with EXO.
  • gorge.ousgorge.ous Join Date: 2011-01-07 Member: 76481Members
    Why does it feel like its much easier to kill skulks with the pistol then with the rifle?
    So, what the use of the rifle?
    It just feels "wrong".
    hmm, I don't "feel" that it's easier to kill skulks with the pistol, even though it is in theory. My aim suffers a little bit from smashing the mouse button rapidly...

with the rifle you need 0.444 seconds, with the pistol 0,36 (if i calculated now correctly). this asumes that your smash you mouse1 button exactly every 0.1 seconds when using the pistol :)

i would not really say that the pistol is stronger. you can rely on the rifle as well. best way of dealing skulks is of course: one marine uses rifle, another the pistol