Should More People Have Black Armour?

SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
Just saw this topic come up in multiple different threads and thought i'd create one for it. As of now i believe 17,000 have black armor out of 19,000. Some people say this is not enough? I think this is more than plenty. its over 90% do you think that the beta people should have some kind of reward though for being beta buyers?

Comments

• elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    i wouldn't mind gorge plushies...
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    What about keeping the black armor for special edition users and making a logo on the armor for all Beta testers?

That way we all would be special and happy.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Need special beta-tester tattoo for the skulk.
  • GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
    You get what you pay for..
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    Us people with green armour are fine. As you pointed out, there are currently far less people with green armour making us more special! Black armour noobs! :D
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1878099:date=Oct 5 2011, 05:15 AM:name=SkymanderX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SkymanderX @ Oct 5 2011, 05:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878099"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think this is more than plenty. its over 90% do you think that the beta people should have some kind of reward though for being beta buyers?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Right now its (maybe) over 90% but the people who pre-order the special edition should keep the black armor and i hope they don't add a stupid DLC later, that would be a punch in the face of all special pre-order people.
    I mean everyone who pre-order the special or "normal" version are supporting the Unknown Worlds Entertainment Team but the special order people give more money which support UWE a bit more and i guess the little black armor is the thing which that people deserve.
    I mean the other gift for "normal" and special pre-order people, is the ability to test and play the game already.

So in my mind, the black armor should be limited like UWE said.

But to be realistic, i never notice if a marine has a black or a green armor ingame, only in ready room its noticable very good.
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1878115:date=Oct 5 2011, 04:18 AM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Oct 5 2011, 04:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878115"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But to be realistic, i never notice if a marine has a black or a green armor ingame, only in ready room its noticable very good.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Black armor is cool for dark areas.
    You have blue glowing goggles on the head and fancy thinks on the back ... to be a better target for skulks in normal vision :)

.. but be realistic, I never notice this stuff as skulk, because 80% of time I play with alien vision "on".
    <!--quoteo(post=1878119:date=Oct 5 2011, 11:58 AM:name=ZycaR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZycaR @ Oct 5 2011, 11:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878119"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->.. but be realistic, I never notice this stuff as skulk, because 80% of time I play with alien vision "on".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    me too but i like that!
    As marine you got a totaly diffrent feeling because you only have your flashlight.
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1878115:date=Oct 5 2011, 04:18 AM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Oct 5 2011, 04:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878115"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Right now its (maybe) over 90% but the people who pre-order the special edition should keep the black armor and i hope they don't add a stupid DLC later, that would be a punch in the face of all special pre-order people.
    I mean everyone who pre-order the special or "normal" version are supporting the Unknown Worlds Entertainment Team but the special order people give more money which support UWE a bit more and i guess the little black armor is the thing which that people deserve.
    I mean the other gift for "normal" and special pre-order people, is the ability to test and play the game already.

So in my mind, the black armor should be limited like UWE said.

But to be realistic, i never notice if a marine has a black or a green armor ingame, only in ready room its noticable very good.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well if your talking about money, people could always just pay another extra 5 bucks.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1878122:date=Oct 5 2011, 12:10 PM:name=SkymanderX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SkymanderX @ Oct 5 2011, 12:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878122"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well if your talking about money, people could always just pay another extra 5 bucks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And invent timemachine, and follow NS2 for nothing for year or so only to be betrayed by the expectations.
  • assbdaassbda Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96737Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1878122:date=Oct 5 2011, 10:10 PM:name=SkymanderX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SkymanderX @ Oct 5 2011, 10:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878122"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well if your talking about money, people could always just pay another extra 5 bucks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ive thought about that as well but when you expand it, it makes UWE look like a bunch of sellouts who are trying to make money through a bunch of stupid add-ons. Not that black armor is stupid you know, but take tf2 for example and paying dollars for ###### hats which are irrelevant to the game.
    UWE will become everything ive ever hated.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    The people with black armor already paid 5$ for it and pre-ordered before or long before the beta was out.
    It would not be fair if everyone could just get it. This should not be changed.
    Although I'm in for some kind of customization to your character, like the way the helmet is folded out/looks, hologram in front of eyes etc.
    But something like that can easily wait until after v1.0.
  • ChinaChina Join Date: 2011-07-24 Member: 112029Members
    I would have liked black armor, but I didn't find out about NS2 in time. So i guess that's extra 5 bucks that they wont see from me ..unless i had a time machine that is.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2011
    If it fits the art style of the game, i dont see a problem with model/skin dlcs...

You dont have to buy them, and i doubt uwe would make pitch black aliens, pink neon skins, silly hats or other funny stuff (uwe is not stupid) - so there is no ingame advantage to gain.

PS: I think uwe was pretty clear that <u>black armor wont ever be buyable</u> to anyone again, it was a special thank you for preordering that early.
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    The beta testers reward is being able to play the game before its released. The black armor is to reward the early adopters. I would think either of the two is worth the pre-order beta purchase of Natural Selection 2 :)
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    Who ordered the "Black armor" edition .. gave money to UWE although there was nothing to show.
    .. they was able to establish the company and bring alpha and then what we have now :D

Sorry not nothing. There was at least: few screenshots / ideas / good (and smart) peoples and huge amount of enthusiasm!!!
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1878131:date=Oct 5 2011, 12:48 PM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Oct 5 2011, 12:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878131"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Silence black armoured newb, bow down to my green armoured uniqueness! :D
  • Salraine_ChiSalraine_Chi Join Date: 2011-07-03 Member: 107669Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have posted about this before but didn't get much feedback. I think the black armour looks much better than the green and would like to see it as the default on full release. Maybe give the original people (me included) who bought it and received the black armour a arm badge or something similar.

Ta

Sal
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited October 2011
    I don't have Black Armor, but I don't think I should. It's something special for the oldest fans who supported UWE long before the game was anything like what it is now. It's not showy or garish, I don't feel like less of a player when I see someone wearing it; it's just a nice treat for the veteran supporters, and I think it should stay that way.

Now, if you want to ask me if Beta testers should get something unique that isn't Black Armor, that's a different matter entirely...
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would pay 50€ and more to get a black armor... on my current account.
    but I doubt, that will happen.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    You aren't missing anything, you can't tell you're wearing it.
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2011
    I know.. but if someone has a black armor he is seen by many people as a pro... even if you can smoke him easily.
    but wearing the "noob suit" makes you look like a noob...even if you have like 300+ hours of gaming experience.

Maybe it is infantile to care about such minor things (a skulk doesn't care if he dilacerates a black or a green armor marine)
    but for me this is important.

and I don't know <i>why</i> exactly it is important for me.. but it is..
    Maybe it is because I have like 300+ hours of gaming time and 373 posts in the forum, but still look like a noob.. as opposed to someone who baught the special edition and just playtestet build 10 for 20 minutes... or so.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited October 2011
    That is only true of extremely stupid people. Paying an extra £10 is not an instant lifetime certificate of pro-ness.

If it makes you feel better most people probably don't even know you exist, much less how good or bad at the game you are. People think silly cosmetic things are cool because they want to be a special little snowflake, not because it means the person wearing it is better at the game. The only thing someone is going to think when they look at a black armor wearer is 'that guy has something I don't, I want it'. They don't think you're better at the game because you have it. If anything I would have thought the stereotype was 'look at that idiot he spent money on a stupid pre order thing what an idiot' or something similar.

If black armor worked the way you think I would enjoy the game a lot more, because I would be able to get people to do things when I tell them to.
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1878133:date=Oct 5 2011, 07:55 AM:name=China)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (China @ Oct 5 2011, 07:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878133"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would have liked black armor, but I didn't find out about NS2 in time. So i guess that's extra 5 bucks that they wont see from me ..unless i had a time machine that is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is very true for me, i would have loved to buy this but i simply never found out about the game in time

<!--quoteo(post=1878184:date=Oct 5 2011, 05:25 PM:name=Shilorius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shilorius @ Oct 5 2011, 05:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878184"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know.. but if someone has a black armor he is seen by many people as a pro... even if you can smoke him easily.
    but wearing the "noob suit" makes you look like a noob...even if you have like 300+ hours of gaming experience.

Maybe it is infantile to care about such minor things (a skulk doesn't care if he dilacerates a black or a green armor marine)
    but for me this is important.

and I don't know <i>why</i> exactly it is important for me.. but it is..
    Maybe it is because I have like 300+ hours of gaming time and 373 posts in the forum, but still look like a noob.. as opposed to someone who baught the special edition and just playtestet build 10 for 20 minutes... or so.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Also Even if black armor doesn't make you a pro its true, it does give you respect in the community. But will also agree that alpha people should have something special because they "bought in" when the game could have even crashed and failed and they defiantly helped the progress of the game.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ns1 inspired beta armor.

Alpha Marines, Beta Marines, Standard Marines. With option to switch between them.

Throw in some limited customization, changing the colors on the suit lights, emblems on pieces of armor. And it's perfect.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    edited October 2011
    If I see a black armor in a group of marines it's generally smart to kill him first. This has proven effective many many times in game.
    But yes, black armor is not indicative of any actual skill, but at the same time, the majority of the people that have it are very, very good.

I would love the ability to customize marine armor color(s). Think halo-esque style. Since marines look absolutely nothing like aliens, the colors and textures are unimportant, and changing them will not impeded the game in any confusing manner. If anything it will help people stand out when they want to. I'd like to have my own custom armor in game so people know it's me.

<!--quoteo(post=1878133:date=Oct 5 2011, 07:55 AM:name=China)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (China @ Oct 5 2011, 07:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878133"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would have liked black armor, but I didn't find out about NS2 in time. So i guess that's extra 5 bucks that they wont see from me ..unless i had a time machine that is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

When the black armor package was available it cost $40 and the standalone game cost $20 as I recall. So it was a $20 difference I paid, mostly because I never went constellation in NS1, and felt I should've given the amount of playtime I had gotten out of it. Since then, the game cost has increased to $35.
  • gorge.ousgorge.ous Join Date: 2011-01-07 Member: 76481Members
    I actually have the black armor but I would like to switch back to the normal one as I prefer it from asthetic point of view.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1878146:date=Oct 5 2011, 03:07 PM:name=Argathor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Argathor @ Oct 5 2011, 03:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878146"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Silence black armoured newb, bow down to my green armoured uniqueness! :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh YOU!
    <!--quoteo(post=1878318:date=Oct 6 2011, 06:25 PM:name=gorge.ous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gorge.ous @ Oct 6 2011, 06:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878318"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I actually have the black armor but I would like to switch back to the normal one as I prefer it from asthetic point of view.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you didn't activate it in steam yet, that black armor key is worth pretty much I guess :P
  • gorge.ousgorge.ous Join Date: 2011-01-07 Member: 76481Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1878346:date=Oct 7 2011, 02:13 AM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Oct 7 2011, 02:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878346"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you didn't activate it in steam yet, that black armor key is worth pretty much I guess :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, sadly I did activate it ;)
    <!--quoteo(post=1878128:date=Oct 5 2011, 01:21 PM:name=assbda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (assbda @ Oct 5 2011, 01:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878128"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not that black armor is stupid you know, but take tf2 for example and paying dollars for ###### hats which are irrelevant to the game.
    UWE will become everything ive ever hated.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Same here, i stop playing TF2 because of the item shop, people who got a lot of money (and no brain) just buy all items.
    I mean, we all the big fans, support them with buying the "more" expensive version, just for supporting them and if they sell the black armor again its like "oh hey fans look, we sh*t on you, we just want to make more money mmimimimimi"