Gorge Wars

SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
edited September 2011 in Modding
<div class="IPBDescription">discuss the mod and share ideas</div>hey guys,

I thought it's time to think about a lightweight fun mod and want to share my ideas with you. I will start to code in about 2 weeks I think, but I'm afraid maybe my own ideas are not hilarious enough and maybe you could come up with some improvements.

so the basic concept:

2 teams of gorges fighting in a team deathmatch style against each other. That sounds maybe boring, but here is the clue: Gorges, as smart as they are, found out a way how to use some of the marines weapons and how to buy them from the armory. They discovered, that the best way to carry a weapon, is to attach it to their head. Instead of tech points you have armory locations. I'm not sure if armories should be constructured / captured or whatever, but at least one rule should apply:

the more armories you have, the bigger weapons you get. so if you reach the maximum number of armories (4?) you will be able to attach a giant double barreled gun to your head, dealing extra structure damage.

The gorges will be able to build crags / shades and hydras, and their passive abilites can be triggered with +use. what those abilities are in detail is not fixed, but I might use the one from my mod.

about the weapons: in slot 1 primary attack you have your main weapon bought from an armory (if no weapon is attached you have spit), slot 1 alt attack is heal spray. slot 2 is the drop structure ability. left click drop structure, right click cycle.

this are the basics for now, I think it could be quite funny to see all those gorges with guns running around and trying to kill each other :)

I almost forgot to mention: Victory condition is to have all armory points captured.

Comments

• WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited September 2011
    It would be more fun to watch a marine ride the gorge like a horse while firing a gun.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like that Idea a lot! Though in my opinion you shouldn't take away that overall gorge feel. A turret template that you can upgrade with all kind of different weapons would be a kinda more intruiging plot, while you have to capture the enemy team's flag or something? Your weapons would be the gorge like ones but you could level your damage and armor? To get Resources you have to kill other chambers, enemys and steal the flag. This would make for mega epic gorge belly slide chases. (Also jetpack and exoskeleton gorges please)
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I agree with whoppaXL. It might be more fun if actual weapons are limited or hard to obtain somewhat otherwise its really just a reskinned fps. Wonder if its possible to scale up gorge cysts so you can place them like bunkers :p.
  • nUfl0wnUfl0w Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42412Members
    nice idea

would love so much to see gorges with jetpacks :D
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1875320:date=Sep 18 2011, 06:56 AM:name=nUfl0w)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nUfl0w @ Sep 18 2011, 06:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1875320"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->nice idea

would love so much to see gorges with jetpacks :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that's a cool idea :D
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Actually, I'd like to see it where the gorges can't attack directly, but must build and push with structures/chambers. Also, I'd give gorges the skulk wall-climb to make it really interesting. Gameplay could be about capturing all the tech points by building structures on them (gorge-spawn?) and killing the enemy stuctures built on them.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    wall walk maybe, we could try it. since it will be based on ns2, it will not be a problem to include that. but I would like to discuss the basics at first. Maybe this mod could become sort of a "tutorial" mod for ns2? mappers could describe how they created some map, i could ddescribe how to write the code or what it does, and about model creation (and about animations, but i don't know about that). the community will become much bigger once the game is released (i hope), so some tutorials to push the modding wouldn't hurt
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    first off i love the idea for this mod. If your going to do a tutorial mod though, you should do that in a totally diffrent mod. This should be gorge wars mod not tutorial gorge wars chaos who knows whats going on mod :p I think wall walk for sure, but i think that it should be more like gorges from ns1. its obvious that pure gorge vs gorge wouldn't be that fun (as you've obviously though). i like the idea of cap the flag or team death match more the the armourys because regular ns2 is already a battle for territory and this would be something fresh.

I think that gorges should have like three classes (not trying to be cod or tf2 here). one that builds stuff, one that fights, and a regular gorge. The builder one would be able to gain resources from other member's kills and they could build chambers that upgrade stats and weapon damage as well as stuff like crag, whip, and shade. The fighter gorge could be the one with the guns or some other form of fighting and the regular gorge would be the only one with heal spray. he would still be able to put up hydras and have bile bomb. The fighter would not have heal spray or hydras but possible bile bomb. he could also have some kind of battle cry or something else unique. The builder would have spit of course but he would also have a bit for self defense.

+1 for walk walking btw.

just my thoughts, you may or may not like them.
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    oh yea and knock back for the battle gorge not a battle cry forgot about his.
  • DogbiteDogbite Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27329Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Have you considered Gorges with Mech style hardpoints?
  • UlmontUlmont Join Date: 2011-10-02 Member: 125211Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It would be more fun to watch a marine ride the gorge like a horse while firing a gun.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or maybe as a gorge you could evolve into a marine (with no weapon, or with just the axe), and then you could ride on top of another gorge, take the weapon from its head, and fire it. That could get incredibly fun. GORGE JOUSTING! RAAAAGH!
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1874827:date=Sep 15 2011, 05:34 AM:name=WorthyRival)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WorthyRival @ Sep 15 2011, 05:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874827"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It would be more fun to watch a marine ride the gorge like a horse while firing a gun.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This. =)