Pirates of New Horizons Infestation video

Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
<div class="IPBDescription">...not impressed at all.</div>I checked the video linked in the twitter feed. I wasnt really impressed with what I saw. The art style is cute and all but I'm hoping the final infestation in NS2 is a 3D rendering like the tech sample from a few years back and not like that painted on sample from the PNH video. What they presented in that video looked more like the infestation that we see in it's current form, which I understood is only a place holder.

I imagine the final DI to be a slowly creeping 3D carpet of ooze that covers anything it touches rather then a shader effect that paints textures a different color.

(p.s. I still prefer calling it DI over croach or whatever it was changed to)

Comments

• RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2011
    Did you really need to post a new topic about something that has been mentioned by the devs on numerous occasions.

Search is your friend, and so is the tweet comments thread.
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    hmmm... i did a search for a thread discussing the pirates of the new horizons video and found nothing... can you provide a link so I may provide more of my opinions?
  • DarksterDarkster Join Date: 2010-02-17 Member: 70612Members, Reinforced - Gold
    It's a different game. Exit Strategy Games is showing off what their game is doing. If you want to tell them what you think do so <a href="http://www.exitstrategyentertainment.com/phpBB3/index.php" target="_blank">at their forums</a>.
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    i like their art style but their implementation is more or less equivalent to UW's placeholder art. It is a good example of why NS2 needs something like their tech demo 3d implementation to stand out from the crowd.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/2006/12/dynamic_infestation" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/2006/12/dynamic_infestation</a>
  • cmc5788cmc5788 Join Date: 2009-10-06 Member: 68959Members
    edited September 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1874026:date=Sep 10 2011, 04:43 AM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Sep 10 2011, 04:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874026"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i like their art style but their implementation is more or less equivalent to UW's placeholder art. It is a good example of why NS2 needs something like their tech demo 3d implementation to stand out from the crowd.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The implementation isn't quite the same. The pirates DI seems to take advantage of something like triplanar projection, whereas the placeholder DI in NS2 looks like it's projected onto one plane, hence the texture stretching on walls. Being placeholder, it's probably just latching onto the decal system or something.
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    edited September 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1873994:date=Sep 9 2011, 09:59 PM:name=Darkster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Darkster @ Sep 9 2011, 09:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1873994"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's a different game. Exit Strategy Games is showing off what their game is doing. If you want to tell them what you think do so <a href="http://www.exitstrategyentertainment.com/phpBB3/index.php" target="_blank">at their forums</a>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The point of this thread was not to discuss their game specifically but the relation it has with NS2 and there similar technology for DI in it's current form. I honestly have no interest in their game what-so-ever so I will not be posting on their forums.

<!--quoteo(post=1874061:date=Sep 10 2011, 10:58 AM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Sep 10 2011, 10:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874061"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/2006/12/dynamic_infestation" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/2006/12/dynamic_infestation</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That post is from 5 years ago, how is that supposed to help? I already mentioned the tech demo in my original post. Part of the point of my post was to see if there was a change in technology being used for DI that I was not aware of. My concern is that they will use a similar technology to that of PNH for the final DI implementation which I would find very disappointing.

<!--quoteo(post=1874026:date=Sep 10 2011, 05:43 AM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Sep 10 2011, 05:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874026"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i like their art style but their implementation is more or less equivalent to UW's placeholder art. It is a good example of why NS2 needs something like their tech demo 3d implementation to stand out from the crowd.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My point exactly. What they put on display seemed like nothing more then a polished version of UW's placeholder for DI... which isn't very impressive.

<!--quoteo(post=1874077:date=Sep 10 2011, 02:06 PM:name=cmc5788)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cmc5788 @ Sep 10 2011, 02:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1874077"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The implementation isn't quite the same. The pirates DI seems to take advantage of something like triplanar projection, whereas the placeholder DI in NS2 looks like it's projected onto one plane, hence the texture stretching on walls. Being placeholder, it's probably just latching onto the decal system or something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thank you for providing some useful feedback.