Re-Add the Shade Voice Distortion

MajinMajin Join Date: 2003-05-29 Member: 16829Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">It was an awesome error that should stay</div>BRING BACK THE PLAYER VOICE COMMUNICATION DISTORTION!
I think we all thought this was a feature of the Shade, and it made the shade a really important target, since it not only cloaked the area and distorted your sight and sound but also your voice communication. The shade would keep you from hearing the commander and team mates and I thought it was a great feature. I am surprised that it was in fact never intended that way.

I say re-add that voice communication distortion, who agrees?

Comments

• SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    No.
    Why? Well the effect is really cool. But it will be a public game only effect, because in clanmatches everybody will use outside voicechat.
    This will make public games and clanmatches different balance wise. And i think its already hard enough to balance a FPS/RTS like ns2 as it is.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    Agreed, Asraniel.

No.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    I going to say no as well
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1871433:date=Aug 27 2011, 08:40 AM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ Aug 27 2011, 08:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1871433"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No.
    Why? Well the effect is really cool. But it will be a public game only effect, because in clanmatches everybody will use outside voicechat.
    This will make public games and clanmatches different balance wise. And i think its already hard enough to balance a FPS/RTS like ns2 as it is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    It was terrible

No
  • YashokiYashoki Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59256Members
    Even though it was a really cool effect. It's easy to get around via outside voice chat programs which is a shame because I love the distorted sense it gave.
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    maybe UWE can add in some side effect to the voice chat if the marine is in range of a shade, like a strange echo, or a synthesized voice.. or so.
    But the effect has to be minor that the speaking is still understandable
  • TopperTopper Mr. Parasite Himself Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8462Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1871433:date=Aug 27 2011, 02:40 AM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ Aug 27 2011, 02:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1871433"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No.
    This will make public games and clanmatches different balance wise. And i think its already hard enough to balance a FPS/RTS like ns2 as it is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Also sad to see it go, but this is a very good point
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1871433:date=Aug 27 2011, 04:40 PM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ Aug 27 2011, 04:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1871433"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No.

This arguement of pro clanners using 3rd party voice applications and differences in balance isn't very strong. Sure, if voice distortion was removed because UWE wanted to design a game that didn't impede team play i would agree wholeheartedly, but to remove it because a certain group of people are able to circumvent it doesn't make much sense to me. Not to mention you have to admit the balance impacts of voice distortion are pretty negligible. Annoying perhaps, but really if your in a hive room do you need to be told to shoot the hive?

As with the OP, i liked the unintended voice distortion effect and those who didnt like it have to admit that it didnt make voice chat absolutely unintelligible either.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2011
    one of the reasons i hate the so called "professional players": They use external tools to cheat their way out of game features.
    be it eavesdropping or com dampaning, they're assjerks.
  • NixxenNixxen Join Date: 2004-02-11 Member: 26401Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1871454:date=Aug 27 2011, 12:09 PM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Aug 27 2011, 12:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1871454"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->one of the reasons i hate the so called "professional players": They use external tools to cheat their way out of game features.
    be it eavesdropping or com dampaning, they're assjerks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is really to be expected of any respectable community these days.
    Even casual players use voice coms such as TS3, VT or mumble when they play together.
  • HackepeterHackepeter Join Date: 2003-06-08 Member: 17107Members, Constellation
    edited August 2011
    My first thought was: "Wow, what a cool idea to disturb in game voice, too" but true, if you can bypass it with external voice chats such as Teamspeak or even the steam voice chat it does not more make sense to have that effect in the game.

So no, please keep it as it is now :)

Edit:

But it's funny that all people thought the bug was a feature :D
  • ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1871458:date=Aug 27 2011, 12:29 PM:name=Nixxen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nixxen @ Aug 27 2011, 12:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1871458"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is really to be expected of any respectable community these days.
    Even casual players use voice coms such as TS3, VT or mumble when they play together.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    When playing L4D i was "forced" by my buddies to use TS a few times. I never understood whats so good about it. Sound quality is the same, "lower latency" is placebo and you have to use this external program, update it, set it up, make sure to unbind the voice button in the game, make sure the program works, give it admin rights when installing and you dont even know what it does to your pc because the developer is somewhat strange...
    Trollish idea: why not set such programs on the VAC-list for ns2?
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    i say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

then everyone will use teamspeak, mumble or vent to play on
  • Jason WhoreJason Whore Join Date: 2011-04-11 Member: 92514Members
    maek NS2 able to hack into voice chat programms like mumble ts and skype, add distortion effect right there.
  • CandideCandide Join Date: 2011-06-28 Member: 106766Members
    If competition is the problem, then maybe the community just have to friendly set the matches so that each team has to play with NS2 voice system, and no 3rd party program. Of course, everybody has to play the game and being fair.

But yeah, this unintentional feature was a bit like the penicillin for me: an accident that revealed a <b>genius </b>idea/discovery. Disturbing team communication with shade is SOOOOOOO genius that it <b>has to </b>make it in the final version! This would bring the level of play and strategy to a much higher level. Seriously.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited August 2011
    No. Impeding voice communication with your team is a bad idea for the reasons already stated. It would be okay if your teammates voices dsp changed so the sound appeared to be coming from local speakers inside your helmet, but no muffling or distorting. You should still be able to hear them clearly.