The Deadly Crash Glitch

MajinMajin Join Date: 2003-05-29 Member: 16829Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Game crashed randomly</div>So I have exhausted my understanding of what could be causing this for me.
Randomly when I am playing NS2 will crash, this is often just a freeze up and the NS2 Debug screen comes up. This never use to happen and I am not sure what has brought it on lately. Before 180, it never happened.

I have done everything to try to fix this (including CHKDSK/R, new drivers, clean install, a fresh format of my whole computer) so I am looking for any advice from people who have random NS2 crashes on ways to fix this.

Specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

System Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
System Model P5N-T DELUXE
System Type x64-based PC

Processor Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU @ 2.40GHz, 3000 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS P5N-T DELUXE ACPI BIOS Revision 1501, 8/5/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.4

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 3.09 GB
Total Virtual Memory 8.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 6.75 GB
Page File Space 4.00 GB

GFX: nVidia EVGA 570 with 2gb memory

System disk: SSD Corsair CSSD-F60GB2 SCSI Disk Device Size: 55.90 GB (60,019,868,160 bytes)
Other Disk: Western Digital Model ST332062 0AS SCSI Disk Device Size 298.09 GB (320,070,320,640 bytes)

Thanks
Majin

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm not sure anybody is going to have any good advice past what you've done. The best thing you can do is to try to figure out what part of the game is causing the crash and see if you can replicate it. This sounds like something that needs to be fixed on UWE's end.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    Does it still happen when you are not overclocking? Have you run stability tests? Like you've said, youve ruled out all the software which you can, that leaves your hardware, or the fact that NS2 is just a bit unstable.
    Also, what maps does it crash on, any more than another? I find I get ns2 crashes with debug in Tram, but never in summit.
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    make sure you copy the logs when this happens.
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    try running memtest86+ and see if it shows any errors...
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    were you playing ns2_tram by anychance?
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1870837:date=Aug 24 2011, 06:50 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Aug 24 2011, 06:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870837"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not sure anybody is going to have any good advice past what you've done. The best thing you can do is to try to figure out what part of the game is causing the crash and see if you can replicate it. This sounds like something that needs to be fixed on UWE's end.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->My advice is post the exact info from a DxDiag. What you've posted is only half the picture.

It's more important to know what the system thinks you have instead of what you think you have (especially for laptops, which download up to date video drivers but refuse to install them).

Not sure how you'd go about this in NS2, but posting a log of the console prints on boot would be useful as well.

It would be useful to have any info, no matter how anecdotal, regarding when you crash.

Are you in a multiplayer game or does it happen in single player?
    What's the minimum amount of time you've played for before crashing?
    If NS2 produces dump files, are new ones created in the specific dump location when you experience a crash?

You say a debug screen comes up when you crash, what exactly does it say? (<b>Alt+Prt Scr</b> ftw!)

Are you running other applications when NS2 crashes, e.g. anything that has an overlay, anything that streams data via the internet, anything that taxes the CPU?

Are you running any custom config files or plugins for NS2?