Armory and Armor

FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">Should the Armory really weld Marines</div>I want to bring up a discussion about the Armory.
I often see on pub that as soon as a Marine get attacked the run (f.e from dc to ms) to the next armory getting healed and welded. A group of 4 rines gets down to 2 rines because of those running backs.
Sometimes you go as a Group somwhere and after the attack all or almost all run back and the aliens can retake teritory. Its hard to be a rine that stays there alone awayting the revenge of the skulks, while the others run back.

I sure the teamplay will increase if only the rines can weld eachother. They need to play atleast with another rine and ramboes can get punished by the team by not getting welded so they may be forced to teamplay.
Also a model for welding is needed because pressing E ain't intuitive to new players. If there is a model of something like a welder they will atleast ask the other players what is it for.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    You can already weld your fellow marines, press E. Sure it's not clear currently, but it is in the game :)
  • NixxenNixxen Join Date: 2004-02-11 Member: 26401Members
    Think what he's getting at is that there's too few marines welding each other after a confrontation, and if the armory didn't weld marines they would be forced to help each other out instead of stomping on back to the closest armory for a weld.

You have a similar "issue" with the aliens, but they can't fix each other up unless one of them is a Gorge - and even then some aliens run back to the hive to heal instead.

However I don't think removing it is the right approach to take. Rather have the other option you mentioned with a distractive icon/model on marines with damaged armor.
    I doubt all marines would weld each other up in pubs though, even with the flashy icon.
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    I would say go the icon/sprite direction.

Brink did this for ammo and health.
    An icon would show up on your buddy.
    Indicating what key to press

and you would be rewarded with a bunch of swirling sprites when you did it correctly.

<a href="http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Games/B/Brink/Everything%20else/Super%20review/Buff_river--article_image.jpg" target="_blank">http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/Gam...ticle_image.jpg</a>

It was a simplistic mechanism that actually worked in pub play.
  • LeonLeon Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58131Members
    Yes it should. Most marines are too retarded to pay attention and use critical functions of the game to win.
  • SiniStarRSiniStarR Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71380Members
    It's not just for armor though. If I have ever run back it's been because of health and ammo. I can constantly hit the keys to ask the com for health and ammo, but whether or not he drops it is 50/50. It really depends on who is com. I am all for the welding icons and such on marines, but I feel the commander would need something a little more.
    I don't think giving automatic updates be helpful (more annoying) to the com, but maybe if the notifications told him, who specifically needs health and ammo? I've found that as playing com if you click the button to focus on the marine who needs help, they sometimes turn out to be dead by the time you get there... If it was to say who specifically needs help, you can at least check the death messages.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1870691:date=Aug 23 2011, 02:18 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Aug 23 2011, 02:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870691"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can already weld your fellow marines, press E. Sure it's not clear currently, but it is in the game :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Did you even read what I wrote?....
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1870690:date=Aug 23 2011, 09:11 AM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Aug 23 2011, 09:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870690"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I want to bring up a discussion about the Armory.
    I often see on pub that as soon as a Marine get attacked the run (f.e from dc to ms) to the next armory getting healed and welded. A group of 4 rines gets down to 2 rines because of those running backs.
    Sometimes you go as a Group somwhere and after the attack all or almost all run back and the aliens can retake teritory. Its hard to be a rine that stays there alone awayting the revenge of the skulks, while the others run back.

I sure the teamplay will increase if only the rines can weld eachother. They need to play atleast with another rine and ramboes can get punished by the team by not getting welded so they may be forced to teamplay.
    Also a model for welding is needed because pressing E ain't intuitive to new players. If there is a model of something like a welder they will atleast ask the other players what is it for.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    How about you weld those 2 Marines which will eliminate them having to run back...

Having a model will create a delay between welding/shooting (having to have the 2 models transition from 1 another).
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    Maybe we can have a automatic weld for when marines are near each other (promote teamwork), or when they use an armory.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    it would be cool if armor could only get restored through a mac or a marine with welder :)
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1870734:date=Aug 23 2011, 09:53 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Aug 23 2011, 09:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870734"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe we can have a automatic weld for when marines are near each other (promote teamwork), or when they use an armory.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The way I see it, no actions should be automatic unless it involves structure abilities. And even if that were the case, team welding is a rather powerful mechanic if actually attended to by a team. There is an immediate reward for actually taking the time to weld a team mate, so instead I think it should be our jobs as players to inform and encourages others to weld, rather than having the game hold our hands.
  • henzeehenzee Join Date: 2009-05-26 Member: 67483Members
    edited August 2011
    Yes, armory shouldnt weld so players would start to weld each others. Icon and maybe some random sound feedback from other player would make ppl weld. (build in, not said by player himself) "Bzzzz..." "It tickles!"
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1870741:date=Aug 23 2011, 01:09 PM:name=Heyman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Heyman @ Aug 23 2011, 01:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870741"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The way I see it, no actions should be automatic unless it involves structure abilities. And even if that were the case, team welding is a rather powerful mechanic if actually attended to by a team. There is an immediate reward for actually taking the time to weld a team mate, so instead I think it should be our jobs as players to inform and encourages others to weld, rather than having the game hold our hands.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Then i guess every form of alien auto-heal should be removed.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1870711:date=Aug 23 2011, 04:14 PM:name=vizionz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vizionz @ Aug 23 2011, 04:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870711"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How about you weld those 2 Marines which will eliminate them having to run back...

Having a model will create a delay between welding/shooting (having to have the 2 models transition from 1 another).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ever tryed to weld a running Marine? Even caling the name wont stop em from running to the next armory...
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    The problem with team welding is that it's entirely backwards.

As an injured person, I can do nothin to get healed from a teammate.

As a teammate, I can be at full health but I'm the one who has to do the healing.

The reason the injured people run back is because they want to do something to get health back, the thought is 'I'm injured, I'll go get health' which is not something you can really change.

If you want people to stay with the group, you need to make it so that it's advantageous to stay with the group. If you're carrying a relatively expensive gun and are close to death, it is entirely against your interest to stay with the group and die, so someone else can steal your gun.

Find some way to make staying with the group a safer alternative to running back to an armory, and you'll solve the problem, until then you are going to end up with people doing it quite a lot.
  • GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1870709:date=Aug 23 2011, 04:02 PM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Aug 23 2011, 04:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870709"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Did you even read what I wrote?....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    He probably just read this:
    I sure the teamplay will increase if only the rines can weld each other.

In a good forum post the first sentence after a break should say in short what the lines until the next break should say. And your first sentence said exactly the opposite. That is why he got confused ;-)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1870709:date=Aug 23 2011, 03:02 PM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Aug 23 2011, 03:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870709"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Did you even read what I wrote?....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Indeed I did and came to the conclusion that you said its ingame and I concur... No need to detract from the game due to newbies running back to base. A game should never be balanced around pubplay...

All it needs is a better visual indicator...
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Maybe we can find a way to make it really obvious when someone is trying to weld you. Like showing a different weapon model, or sparking, bright light, and crackling noises, like some sort of... torch.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It'd be nice if they increased the range of the welding and make it so you're crosshairs don't have to be exactly centered on the marine to work. Right now, its such a hassle to do that many players don't bother.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1870787:date=Aug 23 2011, 03:00 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Aug 23 2011, 03:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870787"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It'd be nice if they increased the range of the welding and make it so you're crosshairs don't have to be exactly centered on the marine to work. Right now, its such a hassle to do that many players don't bother.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The bigger issue is when you go up to someone to weld you both collide and get sent 10 ft up in the air, then can't find each other, and have to do it all over again. Hopefully this will be fixed in 185 as UWE said it might be.

But the welding in general is fine now. It's a placeholder for an actual welder, and I'm fine with that for now.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    adv armory should ONLY restore health and armor. Normal armory should restore health only. This way not all armories will be restoring armor but only the adv one which will be in marine base.

as for pushing E on each other, that is such dumb thing. I actually hope its placeholder for the actual welder, which should NOT be given to all marines by default.
    edited August 2011
    Yes because having to switch to a weapon I have to buy first and then hold left mouse is much more convenient than pressing E.

Not to mention the joy of having to ask someone else to heal my armor and hoping they have a welder otherwise I'm entirely screwed when it comes to field repairs.

I really don't get why some people are suggesting that the best way to encourage teamwork is to troll players into oblivion by making everything as difficult as possible to do by yourself.

Shooting a roomful of people in the kneecaps will not engender a sense of team spirit and convince them to work together, it'll leave you with a room full of people who hate you and your stupid game, because it's you as the game designer who are forcing them into this crappy situation in which they suck horribly at everything, not the enemy team.

And if everyone hates your game, they'll go play another one. Games are supposed to be fun, not character building exercises.
    <!--quoteo(post=1870794:date=Aug 23 2011, 11:43 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Aug 23 2011, 11:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870794"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes because having to switch to a weapon I have to buy first and then hold left mouse is much more convenient than pressing E.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

its not about what's more convenient, its about bring back what's needed in a game. But you had problems using welder in ns1, enjoy pushing E now.
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1870796:date=Aug 23 2011, 11:47 PM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Aug 23 2011, 11:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870796"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->its not about what's more convenient, its about bring back what's needed in a game. But you had problems using welder in ns1, enjoy pushing E now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And why exactly does the welder need to be a separate, purchseable, selectable weapon?

Let's consider, what is the net effect of this?

1. Welding prevents you from doing other things.
    2. There is a limited capacity of welding which can be done per player in the squad, because x amount of weld power is spread over y marines on average.
    3. Welding comes in slightly later in the game.
    4. You can see when someone is welding.

So, taking these four premises, let's replace the old welder with a new one, which is purely a visual effect, is activated by holding E on a weldable surface, it lowers your weapon much like building does, it has a reduced welding speed compared to the old welder, and is unlocked for all marines after a simple research.

The net effect of this is:

1. Welding prevents you from doing other things.
    2. There is a limited capacity of welding which can be done per player in the squad, because x amount of weld power is spread over y marines on average.
    3. Welding comes in slightly later in the game.
    4. You can see when someone is welding.
    5. It is consistent with all other mechanics in the game, whereby holding E on an unbuilt structure fills up its HP and E is used as the general 'interaction' button.
    6. It is far more streamlined than the other approach from a player perspective.
    7. It makes teamwork far easier, as if you need a player to weld, you can be sure that if you have a welder, so do they, and if you don't have a welder, neither do they, thereby enhancing players' understanding of their teammates.
    8. It frees a weapon slot you can use for something else.

Which of these is the superior method?
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    Getting someone to stand still while you weld them now is a mini game in itself
    sorry but standing there pushing E on each other or pushing E on power nodes is just down right dumb. And its not something should be given to the all marines by default. it should be bought from the armory, or dropped by the commander.
    Having only select marines who choice to buy this weapon would promote far better teamwork rather then every marine having this by default. (class roles)

as I said before I hope its just placeholder, like many other things in the game now.
    <!--quoteo(post=1870805:date=Aug 24 2011, 12:12 AM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Aug 24 2011, 12:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870805"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->sorry but standing there pushing E on each other or pushing E on power nodes is just down right dumb. And its not something should be given to the all marines by default. it should be bought from the armory, or dropped by the commander.
    Having only select marines who choice to buy this weapon would promote far better teamwork rather then every marine having this by default. (class roles)

as I said before I hope its just placeholder, like many other things in the game now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You keep saying that but you don't give any sort of reasoning as to why it is the case.

Repeatedly yelling something doesn't make it so, unfortunately. I've tried doing it, doesn't work.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1870805:date=Aug 24 2011, 12:12 AM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Aug 24 2011, 12:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870805"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->sorry but standing there pushing E on each other or pushing E on power nodes is just down right dumb.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't see how it's any dumber than changing weapon and holding mouse1. They could even make a welder model come up when you press e.
  • subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    Then how do you draw a border between marines who can only build structures, and marines who can build and repair structures?
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1870747:date=Aug 23 2011, 12:22 PM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Aug 23 2011, 12:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870747"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ever tryed to weld a running Marine? Even caling the name wont stop em from running to the next armory...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm having an idea about this: We already have hit indications coded in. Wouldn't be much of a work to make the arrow green to show heal / armor restore. would also be useful for aliens
  • blinblin Join Date: 2011-07-20 Member: 111290Members
    We just need on option command to be added to the speak list: Z-5 Weld me!!

Most of the time I need to type and tell ppl to weld me, or hear a person telling me to weld him, with that option it would be way more comfy.

And, of course a visual effect on a marine with low armor is needed too, but not too cartoonish.

Marines are wearing this stuff which is kinda brings all the info right in their eyes, so visual on a low armor marine is very natural and explainable.