ns2_clandestine

13»

Comments

• peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1856205:date=Jun 25 2011, 06:34 AM:name=SN.Wolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SN.Wolf @ Jun 25 2011, 06:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1856205"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->WOW! Thanks Peregrinus, That's the feedback i am looking for!

I will back the commander view off to give a better field of view, I was having some trouble with the build way-points landing on top of the locations entities so i will extend them up and raise the camera.

Maybe add some detail to the bottom of the corridors to try to upright them.

The "Crap I'm stuck" areas are easily fixed with Collision Geometry.

The corridors leading to generator do need some transitioning work....hmmm...cinematics of electrical stuff on broad wall surfaces....hmmm.

Vent's have been an issue with me personally as i want cover for skulks to cover great distances quickly but limit the traffic (size wise) to just skulks with a few accessible to gorges in key areas to hide and heal teammates. I'm not sure if fade will receive a crouch ability so it's hard to judge what that would equal in game units. The textured vents are placeholders and will be replaced with models once i can see how they play out. (go or stay decision)

Was your frame-rate comparable to other large maps as I am building and testing on a newer above average system and really don't see much of a difference in performance comparing to tram.

As for the cinematic, It's located in the brigg outside the window and set to repeat. The cinematic animation is 100 frames but i set the time line way above so it takes about 15 seconds to replay. Hoping for a trigger to tie to a button so it will look as though the button you push brings the house down.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're welcome. Bear in mind that I've never made a map so I can only comment on what I like and dislike as a regular player.

I forgot to comment on the elevator. Is it planned to be operable? Right now I don't know what the point of it is, there is one room where you can go under the elevator and climb up underneath it, but you can't get passed it. Not clear what's going on there.

Frame rate was similar to other maps. One difference was that when I turned on atmospheric lighting in marine start the game froze until I turned it off again.
  • CajunFriedCajunFried Join Date: 2011-06-07 Member: 103166Members
    edited June 2011
    Wolf, I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but I am seeing two of the prop/cinematics from your level in Summit. I hope I copied your files in correctly. I'll show screenshots when I get home.

Scratch that I just loaded summit up and it was okay. Must have just been the server I was on.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1856320:date=Jun 25 2011, 06:58 AM:name=CajunFried)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CajunFried @ Jun 25 2011, 06:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1856320"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wolf, I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but I am seeing two of the prop/cinematics from your level in Summit. I hope I copied your files in correctly. I'll show screenshots when I get home.

Scratch that I just loaded summit up and it was okay. Must have just been the server I was on.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The only way that could happen is if i used the same name for them as the stock assets, I keep all of my custom stuff in their own sub-folders so it's not possible to overwrite anything even if they where with the same names.
  • Classic319Classic319 Join Date: 2010-11-06 Member: 74789Members
    Wow! Still lots of things to fix or add, but it looks really potential. I think that this can be another best map of community as summit. Keep it up! I hope you make another fantastic map, just a bit problems at that map now that can definately be fixed.
  • Captain KirkCaptain Kirk Join Date: 2011-06-27 Member: 106608Members
    Map looks awesome. We need more maps in NS2 for sure. Keep up the good work!
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    Haven't seen this map for a while and wanted to check out the progress. Looking good.

Make this as good as summit and you might have your map in the Beta!

That will be your goal!
    Now go forth and achieve it!

:D
    edited July 2011
    Thanks for the words of encouragement! I am not a huge fan of sexy curves but summit is sexy enough to take out on a second date and and that's a lot to live up to.
    My level is more of an old school style and i really want to bring a lot of the assets provided by The Dev team into the players eyes. They spent a lot of time making these models and they should be seen as they are very complex and a lot of care went into detail.

I will Refine the cinematics as they get closer to a 1.0 and the ones i built are just placeholders until i get the cinematic editor down. It's not to much different than the trackmania replay editor except it has to look good from all views instead of a fixed position. (<u><!--coloro:#708090--><span style="color:#708090"><!--/coloro-->would be nice if they updated in real time like textures do<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></u>)

I am trying to get a play-test for Saturday evening 8PM PST (USA West Coast) for version A110 that i will release Saturday morning. Hoping to get a few good commanders and players to see how the start locations pan out as i almost feel generators will be unexplored for most games and was fumbling to make that Marine start and dropping one of the res nodes from double. And yes the commander cameras are fixed for the new version coming but, I am hoping the mini-map doesn't break again.

If anyone is interested in play testing I will post the details when i update this thread with the new version Saturday morning.

EDIT: The minimap is giving me issues again so the next release is most likely after build 180 patch (hopefully the fix for it is in there).
    Production on this level is/was nearly complete but I am stopping any work on this level at this time. I may pick it up again after 1.0 (next year?) but it is unlikely. When that time comes i will either finish/fix the level or i will release it to another mapper to pick at along with all my custom snippets and other level files. Thanks everyone for the feedback but with the current ever changing state of the engine and lack of the ability to push the file via server for testing I'm not so sure the layout will even work anymore and have lost my motivation.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    why? just upload the map for people to test out on their own and help you fix things, then once it picks up popularity someone may add it to a pub server like Triad24 has done.
    <!--quoteo(post=1868384:date=Aug 11 2011, 09:50 AM:name=WasabiOne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WasabiOne @ Aug 11 2011, 09:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1868384"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->why? just upload the map for people to test out on their own and help you fix things, then once it picks up popularity someone may add it to a pub server like Triad24 has done.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There are several factors in this decision.
    1. How long since alpha and the game is not feature complete (biggest class is not in so it's hard to scale for that)
    2. Server does not push files to client resulting in an empty server (I own my own 1U blade so it's not a matter of hosting)
    3. Only high end rigs can play smoothly (Level is very heavy on my X6 1090T Black Edition - GT220 -8GB Ram)
    4. Difficulty of importing the simplest things like models and sounds
    5. Things missing from the engine at this time....water,elevators,custom weld points. (all the cool customizable stuff)
    6. Time/loss of interest coupled with frustrations due to constant engine change (Best to just wait for game completion and start over)

Nothing Personal towards anyone on the dev side, things take time. I just feel it is still way to early to tell what is best and the mapping guidelines haven't been updated at all leaving mappers in a state of confusion. Think about new customers starting to use the tools with vague information at best . shouldn't rely on forums and wiki for game/tool manuals, this is not a mod but a game for sale for real money and if one purchases these tools they "should" be accompanied with proper documentation. I have been on board since day one and i have over 30 forum topics bookmarked that contain information the PDF does not even mention that is vital to even get a level playable.

If the engine will support ability to push the files to clients, I may give it one last go before dropping it completely. It's a great game and has the potential to be as fun as ns1 still is to this day but, for me personally, ns2 has became to complex in the tech tree and feels more like work than play and has lost that ns1 feel some time ago.

I really don't have anything other than those I listed but I am sure in the end all those issues will be resolved and the game will be fun for some. If anything, if you play ns1, think of it as a purchase of that game. I would have paid $60 for ns1.
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    whats the progress on this has it been updated for the new power system /spawning system?
  • zastelszastels Join Date: 2003-11-29 Member: 23731Members
    Wolf s'time you come back with an update!
    Sorry no updates on this, I am hoping i can find some inspiration to repair/finalize this level but the game is no longer NS for me. I'm not sure what it is, but I started it a week ago and was totally lost after a 6 months of absence. I can't find the time to learn the tech tree let alone find whats broken at this time.

(if i can't get it working for 1.0 i will release it to another mapper to polish out)
    Okay, Now I shall finish this up but have ran into some issues, a lot of missing stuff issues so I copied the file to a new level file. I can't edit any entities and i don't know why. The layers and group windows only show when i select either the extrude or draw tool even though they are checked to be visible under the selection tool. I am at a total loss on how to fix this, anyone have some ideas.

Thanks for the help so far Kouji!
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    OH GOD A ZOMBIE THREAD
    <!--quoteo(post=2011923:date=Nov 5 2012, 05:23 PM:name=killer monkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (killer monkey @ Nov 5 2012, 05:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2011923"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->OH GOD A ZOMBIE THREAD<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This game is a zombie if you review the first announced release date. :)
    Okay, it's published in the steam workshop. Please leave details on problem areas here. I will try to figure out the errors and get some fixed team locations in place.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Glad to see this map back in action. However, it does have quite a few game-breaking problems:
    - Can't place RT in vent or the brigg
    - Places where you can drop RTs are unpowered (double, data processing, area 37)
    - Area 37 is a nightmare hive location because marines can simply gun down the hive from the open eastern corridor.
    - There are many rooms/corridors where you either can't drop structures or dropped structures are unpowered.
    <!--quoteo(post=2017530:date=Nov 9 2012, 01:57 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Nov 9 2012, 01:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2017530"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Glad to see this map back in action. However, it does have quite a few game-breaking problems:
    - Can't place RT in vent or the brigg
    - Places where you can drop RTs are unpowered (double, data processing, area 37)
    - Area 37 is a nightmare hive location because marines can simply gun down the hive from the open eastern corridor.
    - There are many rooms/corridors where you either can't drop structures or dropped structures are unpowered.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

-Yeah, I noticed this is due to pathing settings. I am at my wits end trying to get the pathing to connect but it's broken and if i vary from the original settings it gets worse.
    -The power issue was overlooked since it has been a long time since i have been in the editor.
    -I was thinking about generators, maybe incorporating something like I did in ventilation to break the hive away from the open space. Maybe damaged, structure collapse..../???