Excitement for the Shade

BarerRudeROCBarerRudeROC Join Date: 2010-10-01 Member: 74264Members
edited August 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
I cannot wait for the shade!
In my opinion the shade could make NS2 so much more exciting in terms of gameplay for both teams.

I have questions for the community however.
What do you want to see with the shade?
Do you feel that it'll positively or negatively impact gameplay?

Do you feel that the shade should play a part in controlled alien defense?
For example, in terms of obscuring marine vision by having hallucinogenic spores clouds (which is very iffy seeing as we don't want every marine advance to meet a barrage of spore cloud spamming with Furys and Umbras) or by just simply cloaking pustules.

Comments

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I will miss the passive cloaking and cloaking upgrade ns1 has.

Always loved waiting for the right moment to strike your target, and to hide structures in plain sight. Loved playing the game stealthily.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    More evolutionary options for aliens is simply a buff.

We will see rines losing more.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    I kinda hope the Shade (or actually, Mature Shade..) would increase Whip's effectiveness somewhat.
  • TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    As I understood it the developers haven't yet confirmed what the Shade will add to the game and when the Shade does get released I believe the Shades property will change as the updates comes.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    these things were always planned and the marines will get their own too. They have to go in at some point.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Anyone know what DSPs are O-o?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Tune Disorient DSPs and change them as you are closer to the Shade<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • Lemming JesusLemming Jesus Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71385Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1867013:date=Aug 6 2011, 03:26 PM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Aug 6 2011, 03:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867013"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->More evolutionary options for aliens is simply a buff.

We will see rines losing more.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

######, this man is right. We need to stop adding in planned features because it's going to upset the balance of the beta!
  • autograderautograder Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106181Members
    Relevant:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Shade" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Shade</a>
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1867062:date=Aug 6 2011, 08:30 PM:name=Lemming Jesus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lemming Jesus @ Aug 6 2011, 08:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867062"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->######, this man is right. We need to stop adding in planned features because it's going to upset the balance of the beta!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well actually I'd prefer if gameplay additions were instituted evenly so to gain/maintain balance.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1867064:date=Aug 6 2011, 05:48 PM:name=autograder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (autograder @ Aug 6 2011, 05:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867064"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Relevant:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Shade" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Shade</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Disorient
    Enemy structures and players flicker in and out when in range of Shade, making it hard for Commander and team-mates to be able to support each other. Extreme reverb sounds for enemies (and slight reverb sounds for friendlies) enhance the effect.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I really hope that doesn't make it in. It sounds like it would be really annoying.
  • SmasherSmasher Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43732Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1867072:date=Aug 6 2011, 08:14 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Aug 6 2011, 08:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867072"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It sounds like it would be really annoying.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Isn't that the point?:P
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2011
    The introduction of the Shade is just going to put more emphasis on the Observatory, which already has the ability (Scan) to counter the Shade's abilities.

As a result, good Marine teams will still have the same odds at winning, but the typical pub Marine team will most likely still have a hard time as ever.

Soon, it will be time to hunt!
    The disorient feature sounds like it's been implemented in servers for some time. I always see people blinking back and fourth, freezing and disappearing.
    ;)
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited August 2011
    Distress beacon (coming in this update) was badly needed on marines. It should help coordinate PG rushes and reduce the need for turrets at base in smaller games. Hope they can officially add welders back into the game soon. Also, all you oldie forum dwellers should remember the sweet sound of bacon!:

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/files/ns2/NS2_marine_ambient_montage.mp3" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/files/ns2/NS2...ent_montage.mp3</a>

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2010/2/friday_update_build_137_and_sound_montages" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2010..._sound_montages</a>
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1867012:date=Aug 6 2011, 11:19 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Aug 6 2011, 11:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867012"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I will miss the passive cloaking and cloaking upgrade ns1 has.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Same here, i love the ns1 system.
    The best thing would be add the features like power node, infestation to ns1 gameplay and then put it into ns2 ^^
    I realy hope someone will do a ns1 classic mode like that on final ns2.
  • subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1867012:date=Aug 6 2011, 05:19 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Aug 6 2011, 05:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867012"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I will miss the passive cloaking and cloaking upgrade ns1 has.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If I understand correctly, cloaking aliens is going to be triggered by the commander. IMO this is going to bring alot of whining and idle aliens to the game. All waiting around the shade untill the com gives them cloaking.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited August 2011
    Ehhh

Honestly all the features on the shade sound really really annoying for marines to have to fight. I hated cloak in NS1, and the disorient thing sounds basically like adding in a feature that replicates the effects of lag spikes or visibility errors,

I'm not honestly looking forward to having to deal with them as a marine, and as a buff for aliens, it sounds horribly unreliable as opposed to say, crags, which just heal you at regular intervals. Not very useful, but you know exactly the effect it will have and how to use it, random visbility issues for marines is not something you can reliably take advantage of.

I'd prefer it if it did something like create an area of darkness around it, NS2 does support negative light values, it messes with the colours a bit but that's not unreasonable for an illusionary effect.

Place a shade and it subtracts light from the area around it, making it very hard to see things clearly for what they are, and better yet, aliens can tell exactly what the marines are seeing when they turn off alien vision, and it gives aliens an actual useful ability to boot.

<!--quoteo(post=1867114:date=Aug 7 2011, 06:50 AM:name=aeroripper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aeroripper @ Aug 7 2011, 06:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867114"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Distress beacon (coming in this update) was badly needed on marines. It should help coordinate PG rushes and reduce the need for turrets at base in smaller games. Hope they can officially add welders back into the game soon. Also, all you oldie forum dwellers should remember the sweet sound of bacon!:

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/files/ns2/NS2_marine_ambient_montage.mp3" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/files/ns2/NS2...ent_montage.mp3</a>

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2010/2/friday_update_build_137_and_sound_montages" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2010..._sound_montages</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Distress beacon was also a rather bad thing in NS1, you shouldn't need distress beacon in the game, it kills all offence for up to a minute at a time and essentially just throws bodies at the aliens in a desperate attempt to stop them killing the marines, if you trigger it early you likely do more harm than good, and if you trigger it because you really need it you are dead anyway. it's really annoying as a marine to get teleported across the map uncontrollably, and as aliens it forces you to rely on human wave tactics to exhaust the supply of beacons.

Beacon is an attempt to patch a hole in the game that should not exist, fix the things making the hole, rather than trying to patch it with really annoying abilities.
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1867010:date=Aug 6 2011, 02:14 PM:name=BarerRudeROC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BarerRudeROC @ Aug 6 2011, 02:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867010"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What do you want to see with the shade?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not a whole lot if it's working right!
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1867151:date=Aug 7 2011, 05:18 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Aug 7 2011, 05:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867151"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Distress beacon was also a rather bad thing in NS1, you shouldn't need distress beacon in the game, it kills all offence for up to a minute at a time and essentially just throws bodies at the aliens in a desperate attempt to stop them killing the marines, if you trigger it early you likely do more harm than good, and if you trigger it because you really need it you are dead anyway. it's really annoying as a marine to get teleported across the map uncontrollably, and as aliens it forces you to rely on human wave tactics to exhaust the supply of beacons.

Beacon is an attempt to patch a hole in the game that should not exist, fix the things making the hole, rather than trying to patch it with really annoying abilities.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Are you coming from a competitive background or public server background? Beacon was an awesome tool that could mean victory or defeat for the marines. As i said earlier, aliens could force a beacon to regain position and as Aero said it could be used to rally up everyone for a strike. It needs to be in since aliens will eventually get the movement chamber equivalent and be able to essentially do the same thing but on a player by player basis.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1867114:date=Aug 6 2011, 10:50 PM:name=aeroripper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aeroripper @ Aug 6 2011, 10:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867114"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, all you oldie forum dwellers should remember the sweet sound of bacon!:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or if you played every build, you already saw the beacon and its sound long ago in the early builds. It was pretty OP when it was in. The obs didn't even need to be built to beacon (bug). It also only cost energy and no resources, so it could be abused as a cheap phasegate. It needs to cost resources as well as energy.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1867174:date=Aug 7 2011, 07:59 AM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Aug 7 2011, 07:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867174"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or if you played every build, you already saw the beacon and its sound long ago in the early builds. It was pretty OP when it was in. The obs didn't even need to be built to beacon (bug). It also only cost energy and no resources, so it could be abused as a cheap phasegate. It needs to cost resources as well as energy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I dont know what it did in the old builds but it shouldnt beacon people to the obs. Only beacon people to Marine Start (or maybe the tech point the beacon is at).
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2011
    Can you imagine what the end game is going to be like on Summit when Marines finally get beacon.

It is bad enough trying to take down the Marines last stand as it is.

Should make it so if every power node apart from the one in ms (or where ever cc is) is taken out, aliens get a x2 damage advantage. Perhaps same for Marines if all power nodes are up but one in AS/hive location.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Beacon cost 15 res in NS1, didn't it? Not cheap, but not instant loss either.
    <!--quoteo(post=1867206:date=Aug 7 2011, 12:26 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Aug 7 2011, 12:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867206"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Beacon cost 15 res in NS1, didn't it? Not cheap, but not instant loss either.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like the idea of beacon being expensive. It should be only used in emergency situations.

The potential for griefing is huge though.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1867210:date=Aug 7 2011, 10:47 AM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Aug 7 2011, 10:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867210"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like the idea of beacon being expensive. It should be only used in emergency situations.

The potential for griefing is huge though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd rather it be free and just have a long cool-down. Marines are already hugely res-starved that adding another res consuming feature just means that it'll either 1) never be used or 2) just cause marines to lose more often.
    <!--quoteo(post=1867230:date=Aug 7 2011, 01:48 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Aug 7 2011, 01:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867230"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd rather it be free and just have a long cool-down. Marines are already hugely res-starved that adding another res consuming feature just means that it'll either 1) never be used or 2) just cause marines to lose more often.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But that would be the point. If your strat allows for a beacon go for it. You could save an amount of res for beacon just in case. This isnt a feature people would use just for fun. This tool isnt over powered even when used 2-3 times in a row if you have res and the energy for it. No need to add a cooldown.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1867025:date=Aug 6 2011, 10:19 PM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ Aug 6 2011, 10:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867025"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyone know what DSPs are O-o?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I believe it's this, but not 100% sure.

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_signal_processing" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_signal_processing</a>

My hunch would be that the Shade screws with your audio, either swapping channels so sounds come from the wrong speaker or muffling and warping all your sounds so everything feels unfamiliar and confusing.

[Edit] Yup, the wiki has this: " Extreme reverb sounds for enemies (and slight reverb sounds for friendlies) enhance the effect."
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Yeah a DSP is like a sound environment, a DSP would make everything sound like it's in a tin bath or a concert hall or on top of a mountain and suchlike. Adds echo and reverb and such.
  • IactoIacto Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75209Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1867149:date=Aug 7 2011, 12:12 PM:name=subshadow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (subshadow @ Aug 7 2011, 12:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867149"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If I understand correctly, cloaking aliens is going to be triggered by the commander. IMO this is going to bring alot of whining and idle aliens to the game. All waiting around the shade untill the com gives them cloaking.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You do not understand correctly, it's going to be an AOE cloak, not a permanent cloak. Should give aliens an easier time defending a hive, but more importantly will give the alien comm more to do
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Have Cloak continue cloaking new entities that enter radius for a short time, and make cloak infinite until broken - Started<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It appears Cloak will continue to apply cloaking for a few seconds after the Commander activates it. Also, according to the design log, Charlie's having second thoughts on making cloak infinite.