Environment seems to be too bright

Mr. BohMr. Boh Join Date: 2009-11-14 Member: 69377Members
I recently picked up NS2 again after quite a few months and am pleased to see how it's progressing, but my main concern is with the lighting in the maps.

It's way too bright. Even after power nodes are chewed there seems to be almost no good place to hide except for the 10 seconds or so before the emergency lights come on. Unless I'm on the ceiling right over a door as marines pass through I'm almost guaranteed to be spotted, and when I'm a marine I feel my flashlight is generally useless. I can always see perfectly.

The maps are quite pretty, and the use of shadows is great, but in general, what seems to be missing is some darkness and the tense gameplay that comes with it.

See you all (very clearly!) in-game.

Comments

• playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    I find the darkness to be tiring on the eyes. It has a nice atmosphere, but for casual gameplay I'm not so sure, I find myself longing for an eclipse\veil-esque map more and more.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I agree, darkish maps are definitely nice for a bit, but as player said, it'd definitely be nice to have a more of an eclipse/veil type maps being made, Though I understand that people are going with the cool stuff right now for maps, but simple and unique I find is the best way to go, vail and eclipse certainly managed that. <3 Tanith too. =p
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited August 2011
    The darkness does become overwhelming at times...but it's a delight.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't think all classic maps should be incorporated, I just feel as though it'd be nice to have at least one or two maps where it was a bit brighter.. Though either way, you'll be knocking out power nodes, so it'll end up being dark either way. =P
  • Mr. BohMr. Boh Join Date: 2009-11-14 Member: 69377Members
    I guess I hadn't considered darkness not being a major feature of gameplay. Is that the case? (I never played NS1, for what it's worth). I had just assumed it was based on the flashlight feature, node destruction effects, and perhaps just too many other alien infestation movies/games.

It is a pretty fast paced game, but aliens just seem to stick out like a sore thumb.
  • kaffaljidhmakaffaljidhma Join Date: 2011-07-14 Member: 110392Members
    edited August 2011
    If you've got flashlights, night vision, and glowy neon stuff, you should have darkness.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I feel that there aren't enough LOS blockers and vents on Summit, especially Heliport and Crossroads. But I do believe more will be added.
  • Mr. BohMr. Boh Join Date: 2009-11-14 Member: 69377Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-"Patch Notes"+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ("Patch Notes")</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Added Camouflage upgrade, which can be researched at the Shade. This allows aliens to stay still to go invisible.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, I guess that works. Cool!
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1867093:date=Aug 6 2011, 08:24 PM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Aug 6 2011, 08:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867093"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I feel that there aren't enough LOS blockers and vents on Summit, especially Heliport and Crossroads. But I do believe more will be added.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's closer to the issue. There aren't enough spots for skulks to hide in most rooms/corridors. There needs to be more recesses, vents, obstructions and so forth.
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1867089:date=Aug 7 2011, 04:17 AM:name=Frhoe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frhoe @ Aug 7 2011, 04:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867089"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think all classic maps should be incorporated<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just for nostalgias sake they should; and I never played NS1. For me, I just want to experience them, obviously they need a little reworking to fit NS2's play style.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited August 2011
    NS1 maps, hmm fond memories.
  • Lemming JesusLemming Jesus Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71385Members
    I tend to make my maps dark, but it's mostly to hide the poor workmanship.
  • vizioNzvizioNz InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24595Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1867799:date=Aug 9 2011, 10:40 AM:name=Lemming%20Jesus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lemming%20Jesus @ Aug 9 2011, 10:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1867799"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I tend to make my maps dark, but it's mostly to hide the poor workmanship.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I take that approach with my woman too in the bedroom...

ZING