Estimated time for no fps lag and latency lag?

SlithersSlithers Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73368Members
The title pretty much sums it up for itself.

Just curious as to when you guys think the game will be more stable to play? Right now, I enjoy the game tremendously, it has it's bugs and it needs it's tweaks, but for the most part it's a great game and coming along very well.

My only major concern I have is, how long it will be until we can get 10 v 10 games going without any fps lag and latency lag? it seems to be at this point, that would be more of a priority, since the game itself is very playable in the state it is now, mechanic wise. But once we hit 7 v 7 on each team, it starts to really pick up on some servers and becomes pretty much unplayable.

I just hope somebody could give us an answer or let us know why this is happening and what you plan to do about it etc.

Much appreciated and keep up the good work, thanks.

Comments

• SquidgetSquidget Join Date: 2003-06-13 Member: 17334Members
    The question, as stated, can't be answered. For example, the game is already playable with with more than 6v6, you just have to throw enough hardware at it (or use a smaller map).

No game is "lag free," it's just a matter of how much hardware you need to get it down to a reasonable level. And external factors, like the internet, always figure into latency.

It's going to be a gradual process. It's fuzzy. There will no specific point where we can say "now, performance is perfect."
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    The game will be laggy, until they have implimented about everything they want to the game, I bet they are working extremely hard to get it by december to increase the sales but march to april would be more approriate guess.
  • SquidgetSquidget Join Date: 2003-06-13 Member: 17334Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1863412:date=Jul 25 2011, 05:34 PM:name=Slithers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slithers @ Jul 25 2011, 05:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863412"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...since the game itself is very playable in the state it is now, mechanic wise.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And I totally disagree with your implied assertion here. That being, the game is mechanically sound enough that the primary focus should be performance.

This is not true. There are massive gameplay problems with the game, such as the frequent stalemates due to missing top-tier units. Aliens are still mid-game features, too.

Focus needs to remain balanced between adding features and optimizing performance, as it has been up till now.
  • Lemming JesusLemming Jesus Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71385Members
    For some people we're already there. Your personal results will vary. I had horrible FPS until around version 170.
  • SlithersSlithers Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73368Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1863427:date=Jul 25 2011, 06:06 PM:name=Squidget)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squidget @ Jul 25 2011, 06:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863427"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The question, as stated, can't be answered. For example, the game is already playable with with more than 6v6, you just have to throw enough hardware at it (or use a smaller map).

No game is "lag free," it's just a matter of how much hardware you need to get it down to a reasonable level. And external factors, like the internet, always figure into latency.

It's going to be a gradual process. It's fuzzy. There will no specific point where we can say "now, performance is perfect."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I am sorry, but your way off base lol.

Yes, many games are "lag free" and work flawlessly, that is the whole point of beta testing and constant patches.

CS, Quake, WoW, Battlefield, NS1, Starcraft, CoD, the list goes on, they're all lag free. Yes, certain hardware allows it to run smoother, but this isn't the case with NS2. It's not optimized yet, and I am asking them when and how they will tackle this over the course of a few months. Since it is a major issue, since beta testing end game content, becomes harder and harder, when your unable to aim.

Don't make up random explanations to problems that do occur in the game and don't just involve "hardware".
  • Cyberwarrior00785Cyberwarrior00785 Join Date: 2010-02-20 Member: 70651Members
    in every game there will ALWAYS be some sort of lag fps or otherwise but there will be a time were it will rarely be noticeable.
  • SlithersSlithers Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73368Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1863447:date=Jul 25 2011, 07:01 PM:name=Cyberwarrior00785)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cyberwarrior00785 @ Jul 25 2011, 07:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863447"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->in every game there will ALWAYS be some sort of lag fps or otherwise but there will be a time were it will rarely be noticeable.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

oh so what ur saying is my 3.5 ghz quad core i7 and my 8 gigs ddr3 ram and my geforce 470 1.5 gigs of ram series isn't up to par with ns2...

but all my other games that run well are just lagging.

No doubt there is lag in all games, hence latency says 42 ping, very good allstars.

This is a beta game, it's clearly messed at 7 v 7 for lag/fps on any computer across the board. Now you can all act dumb and pretend like it's all fine and dandy, but in the real world, it needs a ton of more optizmations and tweaks, which is why I am askin them when its happening. Please, stop being retarded and follow the thread accordlingly.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    sigh. slithers, i dont know why you post bait.

but you do. constantly. just get your refund until 1.0 so we don't have to bear you.
    kthx
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    Odd, I also have a quad core i7 and a GTX 460, right now games runs fine for me client-wise, hell in the days of build 152-156 before i got my new pc with the i7 and GTx 460, and still had my ATI 4850, i still had 40+ fps. Server-wise is another story but if i were to make a wild guess i'd say server performance should be up to par with other games at around 190 or if its taking extra long 200, since a bunch of pacthes are minor bugfixes or balancing, not big performance updates like patches were when there was more to optimize.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2011
    If every patch needs 2 weeks, patch 200 would be next year :X...
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Server lag will stay about the same until NS2 reaches its 32 player max. Server owners will just keep compensating for server optimization by increasing playercount till its just as laggy as before.
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1863500:date=Jul 25 2011, 09:39 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Jul 25 2011, 09:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863500"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If every patch needs 2 weeks, patch 200 would be next year :X...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yea but with build 182 coming out 4 days after 181 then some patches will take 2 weeks while the minor bugfix/balance patches will only take a few days.

...That is assuming there are no MEGA patches (*cough* patch 152... you remember that 4 month or so epic patch)
  • Horseless HeadmanHorseless Headman Join Date: 2011-01-07 Member: 76594Members
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1863463:date=Jul 26 2011, 12:03 AM:name=Slithers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slithers @ Jul 26 2011, 12:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863463"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->oh so what ur saying is my 3.5 ghz quad core i7 and my 8 gigs ddr3 ram and my geforce 470 1.5 gigs of ram series isn't up to par with ns2...

but all my other games that run well are just lagging.

No doubt there is lag in all games, hence latency says 42 ping, very good allstars.

This is a beta game, it's clearly messed at 7 v 7 for lag/fps on any computer across the board. Now you can all act dumb and pretend like it's all fine and dandy, but in the real world, it needs a ton of more optizmations and tweaks, which is why I am askin them when its happening. Please, stop being retarded and follow the thread accordlingly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Your set-up kicks my set-up's ass, yet I have played numerous 7v7 games since the release of 181 and, although I've seen games run smoother, NS2 is running just fine at the moment. It highly depends on which server you're playing on, there are only a few good ones out there unfortunately.

Oh, and please stop being mentally backwards and stop asking questions that no one can answer. It'll be ready when it's ready, don't forget you <b>pre-</b>ordered the game. The version you're playing is not the final product. Not even close. When NS2 goes retail and you're still experiencing these issues, then it's time to call the whaaaambulance.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    It gets better with every patch. We are slowly getting there. Judging from the content missing and the rate it is added, the game should be smooth when 1.0 comes out.

Currently the servers can handle 7v7 quite well, unless some kind of bug is triggered. Right now there are pathing bugs that can cause decreased server performance, and probably some others. But those are bugs and when fixed, it should work quite well. I remember when a 4v4 game was the absolut maximum playable.
  • MaGicBushMaGicBush Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10378Members
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1863499:date=Jul 25 2011, 11:32 PM:name=Heroman117)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Heroman117 @ Jul 25 2011, 11:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863499"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Odd, I also have a quad core i7 and a GTX 460, right now games runs fine for me client-wise, hell in the days of build 152-156 before i got my new pc with the i7 and GTx 460, and still had my ATI 4850, i still had 40+ fps. Server-wise is another story but if i were to make a wild guess i'd say server performance should be up to par with other games at around 190 or if its taking extra long 200, since a bunch of pacthes are minor bugfixes or balancing, not big performance updates like patches were when there was more to optimize.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It runs fine for me as well and I have half that, 3ghz tri-core AMD X3 720/GTX 260 1gb/4gb DDR2 RAM. So it sounds like something is seriously wrong with your PC if your getting low FPS(mine stays steady around 30 on medium), watch the pron sites :P. The only lag I ever get is server lag at around end-game(and then only with a full server and a spam of buildings).

For full 32 player games I would say as someone above said, maybe around Febuary next year.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    Thought I'd mention again that, at this point, the strength of your system doesn't guarantee it will deliver you a proper NS2-experience. You could use a beast of a machine and have it run the game pretty ######, while others might have half of the performance but get a smooth game anyway. So no reason to bash the cleanliness of people's machines just cause they're not getting a proper game.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I have the i7 GTX460 setup too, the game runs super smooth, but you have to remember most of the lag issues are caused by the server right now B181 has some nasty little bugs that causes major drop in the tick rate which in turn severely lags the game. they say those issues have been addressed in 182 but we'll have too see. Biggest problem is a lot of these online servers also dont get restarted that often or are run from cloud based hosting and that isnt that great for a non optimized game yet... be patient.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2011
    Sadly, a lot of servers are running on less than adequate boxes, with either really old specs or even running on Linux under Wine. Shame you cant tell from the outside.

Bst thing to do is join a server, and use the command: net_stats in console. If the server tickrate is above 20, it's good (ideally 30). If it's less than 15 you will get lag and hitching and even sometimes FPS drops. Switch servers until you find decent ones.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you're from USA/Canada, Anagrams Chicago servers are plenty adequate for anyone to play on. Normally server tickrate is 30.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm running an i7 and a Radeon 4800something and I can run this game at 1680x1050 just fine. Sometimes it's hard to follow an alien and be dead on due to fps dropping, but those moments are few and far between. Skill can help compensate big for any performance that's missing at this point. (can compensate for balance, too!)
  • dickbassdickbass Join Date: 2011-07-10 Member: 109402Members
    edited July 2011
    tick rate of 30 is pretty trash.

performance will be a key factor in this game. if they cant get it running better then it will not be played much longer.
  • TyrTyr Join Date: 2011-07-23 Member: 111940Members
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1863427:date=Jul 25 2011, 04:06 PM:name=Squidget)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squidget @ Jul 25 2011, 04:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863427"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The question, as stated, can't be answered. For example, the game is already playable with with more than 6v6, you just have to throw enough hardware at it (or use a smaller map).

It's going to be a gradual process. It's fuzzy. There will no specific point where we can say "now, performance is perfect."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree, while I was recording with FRAPs I got a constant 30fps even though others were complaining about lag.

I mean the game isn't even finished yet!

EDIT: Also what does this game run at? 60fps? Cause If I can record in 1080 that'd be cool
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1863653:date=Jul 26 2011, 08:22 PM:name=Tyr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tyr @ Jul 26 2011, 08:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863653"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree, while I was recording with FRAPs I got a constant 30fps even though others were complaining about lag.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Clientside FPS have nothing to do with lag. I think the reason so many people are insisting there is no lag, or its just caused by inadequate graphics cards or whatever, is because none of you understand what lag is or what is causing it.
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1863584:date=Jul 26 2011, 11:18 AM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Jul 26 2011, 11:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863584"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thought I'd mention again that, at this point, the strength of your system doesn't guarantee it will deliver you a proper NS2-experience. You could use a beast of a machine and have it run the game pretty ######, while others might have half of the performance but get a smooth game anyway. So no reason to bash the cleanliness of people's machines just cause they're not getting a proper game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not bashing his system, just saying there is a issue. And no, when two people have the same rig(someone has a identical setup above me) with one working fine and the other not.. One can only assume there is some kind of system failure/spyware/software conflicting issue.

The server lag doesn't seem to be what he's talking about either zex unless I and some others misunderstood his post above.

*edit* Make that now 3 people with 2 PC's fine.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1863719:date=Jul 27 2011, 01:41 AM:name=MaGicBush)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaGicBush @ Jul 27 2011, 01:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863719"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not bashing his system, just saying there is a issue. And no, when two people have the same rig(someone has a identical setup above me) with one working fine and the other not.. One can only assume there is some kind of system failure/spyware issue.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not when NS2 is an unreliable steaming pile of poo-poo you can't. Your argument would be more credible weren't we in alpha. Also, there's not really such a thing as an identical PC, there will always be minor software-differences that throw a real monkey-wrench in there.
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1863721:date=Jul 26 2011, 06:48 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Jul 26 2011, 06:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863721"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not when NS2 is an unreliable steaming pile of poo-poo you can't. Your argument would be more credible weren't we in alpha. Also, there's not really such a thing as an identical PC, there will always be minor software-differences that throw a real monkey-wrench in there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I said software conflict as well(oh, looks like i edited right as you made that post), but I do agree it is hard to say in alpha. Most likely it is however some software or configuration on his PC causing a conflicting issue with some resource the game is using(could be from either side). To really get into it he would need to post his OS, system type, AV, DX Diag, etc.
  • tyrael64tyrael64 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70551Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1863507:date=Jul 26 2011, 02:35 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Jul 26 2011, 02:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863507"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Server lag will stay about the same until NS2 reaches its 32 player max. Server owners will just keep compensating for server optimization by increasing playercount till its just as laggy as before.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

True!!!

i have good fps in 2560 x 1600 but some times fps, get very low, when server tick rate is less than 5.
  • TyrTyr Join Date: 2011-07-23 Member: 111940Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1863686:date=Jul 26 2011, 05:21 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Jul 26 2011, 05:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863686"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Clientside FPS have nothing to do with lag. I think the reason so many people are insisting there is no lag, or its just caused by inadequate graphics cards or whatever, is because none of you understand what lag is or what is causing it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I wasn't denying the fact that there was no lag, But I see your point and accept it.
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1863446:date=Jul 25 2011, 03:53 PM:name=Slithers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slithers @ Jul 25 2011, 03:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863446"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->CS, Quake, WoW, Battlefield, NS1, Starcraft, CoD, the list goes on, they're all lag free. Yes, certain hardware allows it to run smoother, but this isn't the case with NS2. It's not optimized yet, and I am asking them when and how they will tackle this over the course of a few months. Since it is a major issue, since beta testing end game content, becomes harder and harder, when your unable to aim.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just thought I would point out, that depending on which battle field or CoD game you are talking about, not one of the games you listed was released before 2005... Comparison is a little unfair.
  • blinblin Join Date: 2011-07-20 Member: 111290Members
    I mostly play the game as support-worker, cause for me killing an alien is just a LUCK, I need to shoot far in advance or into non-moving target to kill one, due to be on the other continent...

Still the game is fun, but I hope to really be able to play it, when it goes 1.0