NS2 catering to Console players?

13»

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    what that guy said ^
    lol
    also, chris, i dont know how you managed to misunderstand that article or find it contradictory?
    they are separate statistics, as in those that aren't adults still have their parent present when purchasing.. regardless of the average player age.

anyhow, that was literally the first 4 sources on a google search of "Average age of gamers"... :)
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited July 2011
    As far as I can tell, there are really two classes of 'gamers'
    1. Those who would call themselves gamers and generally play PC/Console shooters, RTSs, RPGs, MMOs, etc.
    2. Those who wouldn't call themselves gamers, but actually play games, generally in the form of IPhone (see Rovio: Angry Birds), Facebook (see Zynga: Farmville), and possibly Wii.

So, you could actually get very different average/median ages depending on how you word the survey question. Ask people if they are a 'gamer' and the average/median age is probably in the mid-20s to low-30s. Ask people if they play a game regularly (a couple times a week) and you'll probably get closer to mid-30s to low-40s.
  • AezayAezay Join Date: 2003-04-19 Member: 15660Members
    Gaming is apparently a mental border for many people.

The fact that it is somehow weird to play games when you get older is just absurd.
    Gaming is an entertainment media like any others, but reading books or watching movies when you get older is OK, while gaming isn't?

Why is this?
  • MonoLOLMonoLOL Join Date: 2003-10-13 Member: 21657Members, Constellation
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1862677:date=Jul 23 2011, 11:06 AM:name=Aezay)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aezay @ Jul 23 2011, 11:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1862677"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gaming is apparently a mental border for many people.

The fact that it is somehow weird to play games when you get older is just absurd.
    Gaming is an entertainment media like any others, but reading books or watching movies when you get older is OK, while gaming isn't?

Why is this?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because games make you violent and want to kill people, we cant have adults behaving like that right?

RIGHT?!

Just to add to the above discussion about age, I'm 25 and having been gaming since I was 18 months old and could hold the old duck hunt gun for the NES properly.
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2011
    In like 40 years grandpa will play FPS and grandma has a tramp stamp. ;)

Gaming nowadays is still seen as it is only for children by the public in general.
    It will change (cf. average age of gamers) but this will take more time, I think.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Some of the most devoted gamers will not have kids to inherit their state of mind - lack of social skills to woo women, after all.
    This will delay that development we all wait for.
  • Cyberwarrior00785Cyberwarrior00785 Join Date: 2010-02-20 Member: 70651Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1862403:date=Jul 22 2011, 08:00 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jul 22 2011, 08:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1862403"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Any game company who wants to be successful would be silly to completely rule out any potential port of their game to a console, these days. It is also hard to get investment funding if you don't show that you are thinking of ways to broaden the playerbase of your game. If NS2 is a success, then at some point down the road we may look into the feasibility of investing the time and the resources into a console.

However, at this stage, its still pretty far from our minds, and we aren't making any gameplay decisions with that in mind. First and foremost we are developing NS2 to be a great PC game.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1862430:date=Jul 22 2011, 10:22 AM:name=Slithers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slithers @ Jul 22 2011, 10:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1862430"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That is a relief to hear, then why do you guys neglect Bunnyhopping so much all of a sudden?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    because every one was complaining about it so they gave in and removed it
  • RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1862208:date=Jul 21 2011, 11:30 AM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Jul 21 2011, 11:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1862208"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh, hi! Why not check out the webcomic where that originated from?
    <a href="http://www.nerfnow.com/comic/504" target="_blank">http://www.nerfnow.com/comic/504</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's from Zero Punctuation you dolt
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1862862:date=Jul 24 2011, 01:38 AM:name=Raneman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raneman @ Jul 24 2011, 01:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1862862"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's from Zero Punctuation you dolt<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    whatever, farting newt.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1862764:date=Jul 23 2011, 06:57 PM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Jul 23 2011, 06:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1862764"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Some of the most devoted gamers will not have kids to inherit their state of mind - lack of social skills to woo women, after all.
    This will delay that development we all wait for.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's what they said about reading books 200 years ago.
  • Lemming JesusLemming Jesus Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71385Members
    Oh, it's this again.
  • legolego Join Date: 2003-06-30 Member: 17819Members, Constellation
    edited July 2011
    This is a big reason I have been trying to avoid the forums. Charlie just needs to revert movement back to Ns1 and stop trying to fix things that aren't broken. The beauty of making a sequel to a game is you can keep what works and expand on things that didn't feel right. Making balance changes because of whiny people on the forums doesn't seem like a good idea.

Also please get rid of sprint it isn't needed in this game. Especially if you fix the core mechanics of movement itself.
  • RichardRahlRichardRahl Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104594Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1863444:date=Jul 25 2011, 06:43 PM:name=lego)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lego @ Jul 25 2011, 06:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863444"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b> Making balance changes because of whiny people on the forums doesn't seem like a good idea.

Also please get rid of sprint it isn't needed in this game. Especially if you fix the core mechanics of movement itself.</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

CONDRADICTING STATEMENTS>
  • legolego Join Date: 2003-06-30 Member: 17819Members, Constellation
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1863445:date=Jul 25 2011, 05:51 PM:name=RichardRahl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RichardRahl @ Jul 25 2011, 05:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863445"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->CONDRADICTING STATEMENTS><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

When you get older and your brain fully matures I have no doubt you will understand my post. Until then I suggest sticking to Pokemon trading card forums.

Welcome to the forums.
  • RichardRahlRichardRahl Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104594Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1863453:date=Jul 25 2011, 07:12 PM:name=lego)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lego @ Jul 25 2011, 07:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863453"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When you get older and your brain fully matures I have no doubt you will understand my post. Until then I suggest sticking to Pokemon trading card forums.

Welcome to the forums.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

U mad cause I called you out bro?
  • CorpseyCorpsey Join Date: 2011-07-02 Member: 107538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1863444:date=Jul 25 2011, 06:43 PM:name=lego)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lego @ Jul 25 2011, 06:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863444"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is a big reason I have been trying to avoid the forums. Charlie just needs to revert movement back to Ns1 and stop trying to fix things that aren't broken. The beauty of making a sequel to a game is you can keep what works and expand on things that didn't feel right. Making balance changes because of whiny people on the forums doesn't seem like a good idea.

Also please get rid of sprint it isn't needed in this game. Especially if you fix the core mechanics of movement itself.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed.. I don't see any reason for UWE to patch things for the community, it should be UWE patching things that feel right to themselves, not the community. Although I understand that they are trying to cater to their fans, so whatever. I have no say because I choose not to have FB or twitter.. I don't see why I should be annoyed by people that are too lazy to be typing in full sentences. I too try to avoid the forums unless something seems ridiculous. All I have to say is that I trust UWE is working on the things that made NS1 such a great game. I've been playing since OCs were stackable and phasegates could telefrag.

On topic, if you sell NS2 for console, you better package it with a mouse and keyboard. I don't see how it would be playable otherwise. Also, I don't like FPS for console simply because there are people out there who choose to buy a mouse and keyboard because they can't use the controller like everyone else. This gives them a large advantage over the majority of others playing the game, and while the majority could just go out and buy a mouse and keyboard it's easier for them to <i>stop playing and turn the blame on the company</i> saying that they're not having a good time. They will also tell their friends that the game "Sucks" etc. and so their friends wont buy it and everyone ends up broken;

The person that bought the mouse and keyboard no longer has someone to play against in large matches
    The person that didn't buy a mouse and keyboard no longer wants to play because he gets owned
    His friends aren't playing NS2, a great game that they will never know more about.
    UWE wastes time and effort bringing a game to console that could have been put into something more useful
    NS2 gets a bad name :(

I'm an idealist so I wish that everyone was able to play this game, however I think that putting it on console is a bad idea.

-snip-

I was going to go on a rant about how people get this "Hero syndrome" like they want to always be the hero.. and sometimes that's just realistically not possible. Like if you're thinking you can take on 2 fades with a shotgun and no teammates help, you have a preemptive fade kaiser blade up your ass. People that think like this ruin every game though.. it's especially bad in NS2 when people are new to the game though, I think console players would be quick to say that the game is bad because they're too lazy to comm.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1862430:date=Jul 22 2011, 07:22 PM:name=Slithers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slithers @ Jul 22 2011, 07:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1862430"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That is a relief to hear, then why do you guys neglect Bunnyhopping so much all of a sudden? When you guys first started this project way back, you mentioned to us all that you were going to implement bunnyhop on skulks at least. Why is it in most game directors minds now a days to remove skill based features within nex generation games?

Like I am sitting in ventrilo with a group of buddies I have been playing video games with for a very long time. I say there is about 40-50 of us and we bring in new "hardcore gamers" daily and everyone is always saying, what has happened to PC gaming? There are no good games, especially in the fps realm. Skill is always removed, graphics are always #1 priority and the gameplay mechanics are revolutionary anymore. It's like Graphics come first and "feel and movement" is always the second thought. There is honestly a massive drought in the gaming industry right now for skill based fps that could revolutionize the industry again, but nobody wants to do it.

Call of Duty - this game is the epitome of what skill based gamers cannot stand
    Battlefield Bad Company 2 - Can't sprint strafe, prone and it's more of a mmo style fps then competitive.
    Counter-Strike 1.6 - 10 year old game that everyone always and still comes back to, because the industry is so pathetic.

All I am asking is for a Hybrid, or for you to at least consider it. I mean, how much skill do you honeslty think is involved in a fade by clicking in to ghost mode and then walking around and popping back out? There is no learning curve, except memorizing the maps, which comes naturally.

Watch this video of moto from Team 3D at CPL for CS 1.6 - <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHAOf7ECAtE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHAOf7ECAtE</a> - He discusses the problems with the industry that is still ongoing to this day.

I think unknownworlds is a great company, I think so far you guys have done a great job, which is why I am here right now, but there are a few things that I see happening that I never thought in my mind you guys would ever do, sell out, but it's happening, right now and it's become disappointing in my eyes and the eyes of many other gamers I have been testing NS2 out with.

Anyways, good luck with your project, all the best regardless of the outcome.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

well said!

thanks for posting that video, it made me chuckle - i hope others realize amazing graphics isn't everything.
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    edited July 2011
    stay on topic. stay on topic!
    pun^

not another flamer thread!!!

SIGH'
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1863453:date=Jul 25 2011, 06:12 PM:name=lego)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lego @ Jul 25 2011, 06:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1863453"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When you get older and your brain fully matures I have no doubt you will understand my post. Until then I suggest sticking to Pokemon trading card forums.

Welcome to the forums.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, I think he got it about right.
This discussion has been closed.