FADE is a JOKE!

MajinMajin Join Date: 2003-05-29 Member: 16829Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Lack of energy</div>WTH have you done to the fade, hes even worse than back in 176!
In 178 he was an overpowered marine killing machine, then you balanced him in 179 and the fade seemed to be a lot more balanced, still a bit overpowered when in a team of other fades, but much better.

WTH have you done to it in 180???

The fade is a joke now, he has such little energy that he can't even take on 2 marines any more....

I wasn't even able to kill a rambo flamer as a fade since the energy is sooooo low already I didnt have enough energy to swipe at him let alone escape!

Unknownworlds, you guys have really made a mistake when it comes to the fade in 180.

Not to mention the lerk nerf and the fact that infestation is so easily killed off and the gorge cant spread infestation anymore to keep structures alive till new infestation can be placed.... Not liking 180 at all!

Comments

• UzrbitalUzrbital Join Date: 2011-07-04 Member: 107858Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1859147:date=Jul 9 2011, 01:35 PM:name=Majin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Majin @ Jul 9 2011, 01:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1859147"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[Insert lots of text here]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I have to agree that the fade got too little energy now. The lerk is also unplayable. The lerk was supposed to be ranged, and now it's a close combat guy. Flight is hard too. Marines are OP...
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    I have already tried to address this problem before.

the problem is you have to HOLD blink to keep blinking which is pretty dumb but at least fade is moving towards better place than the old blink which was just so bad...

for example in ns1 fade wouldn't HOLD blink constantly, he will just run out of energy instead he gently taps it over and over to conserve his energy.

this is how blink should work:

holding blink would work as it does now BUT if you gently tap it you will blink normally as ns1 fade does.

it might sound crazy, but its rather simple fix.

while fade HOLD blink he cannot be damaged, the price he pays his energy drops quickly
    while the fade TAPS blink he can be damaged, the price he pays for not holding blink

for this to work, skill based movement must be given to the aliens as well, to give aliens better mobility over their movement.
  • twincannontwincannon Join Date: 2011-06-14 Member: 104459Members
    It is annoying that Fade basically can't siege buildings at all anymore, so you wipe a base and then kind of just sit there.

They're still great killers. Aim your swipe

Shotgun did not need a buff in close range damage, however imo.
  • RTVRTV Join Date: 2008-06-09 Member: 64417Members
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1859147:date=Jul 9 2011, 07:35 PM:name=Majin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Majin @ Jul 9 2011, 07:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1859147"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->WTH have you done to it in 180???<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not only the fade, aliens are a joke now...shotgun is cheap, one hit, fade, gorge, lerk and skulk die...
    The Grenade launcher also cheap and spam with armory is so baaaad (feel that spam like 5 times in 7 matches as alien)
    It is ridiculous what UWE did to the alien team.
    Also the lerk flying is so annyoing, my thumb still hurts from pressing it.
    The lag is still there, the bugs like shoot the rifle is already in and makes playing marines not possible...but aliens are weak now, so i can not play...so annyoing build 180.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    You know exactly what UWE did to the fade; it's all right there in the patch notes.

No need to get so worked up; if it really is too weak to be worth its cost, UWE will keep on fiddling with it until it's balanced. Having opinions and giving feedback is fine, even admirable, but I think some of you guys need to chill out.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2011
    You just need to work differently with the Fade.

At first I started going down instantly to packs of Marines.

Now I blink in when a group splits a little, usually in combat or when entering a hive room.

Let the pawns (skulks) go in first when you can, then clear up the mess. In, swipe, out.

Fade should be like he is now, remember the Onos is yet to come.
  • MOOtantMOOtant Join Date: 2010-06-25 Member: 72158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1859178:date=Jul 9 2011, 11:05 PM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Jul 9 2011, 11:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1859178"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You just need to work differently with the Fade.

At first I started going down instantly to packs of Marines.

Now I blink in when a group splits a little, usually in combat or when entering a hive room.

Let the pawns (skulks) go in first when you can, then clear up the mess. In, swipe, out.

Fade should be like he is now, remember the Onos is yet to come.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What you said is just a sad excuse. No matter how crappy fade is there will be some situation where fade can be used and people/you will say "oh you're all wrong, learn how to use the fade and it'll be fine". I haven't seen fade working better than in NS1 even once.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    I don't know what fade you're playing, they were murdering my marines in the last game I played.

'Cannot kill five guys at once' is not nerfed, it's common sense. 1 on 1 it's still very hard to kill a fade, and 2 marines would still be given a run for their money.
  • watewerwatewer Join Date: 2011-07-01 Member: 107351Members
    marines arent suposed to kill fade 1on1 it should be 3marines = 1 fade in even player skill. Now the flametrower is just op u cant get rid of it couse it gets on ground and they just cime in flame you and ur dead. Fades need more buffing again.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2011
    Should give the Fade his armor back. Or at least make it so aliens don't catch on fire until their armor is depleted.
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    edited July 2011
    The fade plays differently, but hardly a joke.

<b>It no longer plays like a skulk on steroids that can blink. </b>

Even so, you can still rack up a huge KD ratio just as before. When I first started playing it, I got killed many times because I simply wasn't used to it. In 179, there was never a good reason I should ever die as a fade. That clearly had to go eventually. I think people need to play with it more.

1v1 in 180, you should always kill a marine as a fade. If you lose, you are clearly doing it wrong.

2v1 is harder then it was before (not necessarily a bad thing imo), but the fade should still win the majority of engagements.

3v1 is definitely dangerous territory for a fade now, and especially if a marine has a FT........BUT is that really a bad thing?

I think too many people got used to the godly OP fade that could take on masses of Marines. However, the more I play the Fade, the more I get used to its new gameplay, the more I find the Fade to be nearly as OP

I think many of you are expressing frustration with the FT...and I agree that the FT needs a retooling. But a 1v1 with a FT, you should still win..almost always.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    The biggest issue is that fade can hardly take down any structures, I think the thought behind this (if there were any) was to add gorge bile and whips future bombardment more value but if you cant take down a turret without exhausting your adreline (which practicalle means death) then we do have a problem.

Only way to die as a fade is voluntery suicide by bad decision making (aka greed). Dont be so mad you cant spam mouse1 for easy kills.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The biggest issue is that fade can hardly take down any structures, I think the thought behind this (if there were any) was to add gorge bile and whips future bombardment more value but if you cant take down a turret without exhausting your adreline (which practicalle means death) then we do have a problem.

Only way to die as a fade is voluntery suicide by bad decision making (aka greed). Dont be so mad you cant spam mouse1 for easy kills.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Try using the fades secondary attack for killing structures. It's not as good as a skulk, but works decently vs. structures.
  • twincannontwincannon Join Date: 2011-06-14 Member: 104459Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1859232:date=Jul 9 2011, 08:36 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Jul 9 2011, 08:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1859232"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Should give the Fade his armor back. Or at least make it so aliens don't catch on fire until their armor is depleted.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Actually a really cool idea, as much as I don't think the flamer needs to be any more useless.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1859253:date=Jul 9 2011, 10:33 PM:name=twincannon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twincannon @ Jul 9 2011, 10:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1859253"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually a really cool idea, as much as I don't think the flamer needs to be any more useless.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    A compromise: fire doesn't drain energy until armor is depleted, but still damages and ignites all targets as it does now.

How does that sound?
  • TrueVeritasTrueVeritas Join Date: 2006-10-20 Member: 58082Members
    Fades aren't awful like you guys are saying they are, they're just boring as hell to play.

There's no metabolize or regen yet (as well as no innate regen when off creep) so every time you blink in to a marine you have to go all the way back to a hive. This is the reason turret spam is so effective at delaying games right now. It really has very little to do with the lack of Onos in the game.

Coupled with the fact that energy is so damn meager, you can blink across a hallway to hit a marine once and blink back and have to stand still for like 10 seconds waiting for your energy to recharge, with it being even worse when you get lit on fire.

The worst part is with the way the game is set up you can't totally change the fade to be more fun without making it overpowered. Give it too much energy and it's just frustrating for marines who can't hit it when it's blinking. Can't make the fade like NS1 fade since everyone has shotguns and a single blink in would pretty much mean a guaranteed death.

I really hope someone creates an NS classic, because those mechanics worked because they were the result of 7+ years of balancing and tweaking.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    In my opinion the swipe now is a bit too slow, should be sped up a bit. Energy though can stay pretty much about the same, maybe a 'bit' reduced, but barely.

Secondly, the fade blink needs to have it's energy per second reduced a bit. Blink shouldn't really take that much energy.

Reason I find most fades have to run back or take their time is because they're always blinking, so whenever they get into combat, they barely have enough energy to swipe the required amounts to kill a marine. If Blink energy is reduced to a lower amount, it'd allow for more swipes, but also would let the fade move around sooner.

You can still destroy marines as a fade in this build.. but you gotta me quicker about it. Blink in, swipe swipe, swipe, blink swipe, blink away, let energy fill up a bit and continue.

Or blink in, with other aliens, and just go around blinking and swiping from time to time.. but just make sure you're getting fired at more often than the other aliens.
  • RichardRahlRichardRahl Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104594Members
    You guys need to learn to play, I was commandoing with my fade earlier this evening I racked up 23 marine kills before I finally got killed, fades are fine just the way they are.
  • LaggasaurusLaggasaurus Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22773Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1859234:date=Jul 10 2011, 01:49 AM:name=OutlawDr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OutlawDr @ Jul 10 2011, 01:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1859234"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The fade plays differently, but hardly a joke.

<b>It no longer plays like a skulk on steroids that can blink. </b>

Even so, you can still rack up a huge KD ratio just as before. When I first started playing it, I got killed many times because I simply wasn't used to it. In 179, there was never a good reason I should ever die as a fade. That clearly had to go eventually. I think people need to play with it more.

1v1 in 180, you should always kill a marine as a fade. If you lose, you are clearly doing it wrong.

2v1 is harder then it was before (not necessarily a bad thing imo), but the fade should still win the majority of engagements.

3v1 is definitely dangerous territory for a fade now, and especially if a marine has a FT........BUT is that really a bad thing?

I think too many people got used to the godly OP fade that could take on masses of Marines. However, the more I play the Fade, the more I get used to its new gameplay, the more I find the Fade to be nearly as OP

I think many of you are expressing frustration with the FT...and I agree that the FT needs a retooling. But a 1v1 with a FT, you should still win..almost always.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeh I think people have been forgetting this was the role of fades in NS1 (at least in competitive games, not public where a fade could blink into a whole team and survive). If you went alone against 2-3 marines who can aim, you'd be in trouble. Fades are meant to be used with team help as well as picking off anyone who separates from the marine group. However I feel in the game's current state, this makes it very hard for aliens to remove entrenched marines as they lack anything that can properly soak damage while rushing bases.
  • wulf 21wulf 21 Join Date: 2011-05-03 Member: 96875Members
    Exactly. I got used to the new fade pretty fast. Aliens still win the majority of games, so I wonder what you are complaining about :P.
  • RichardRahlRichardRahl Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104594Members
    yup, majority of the games what I see happen is rines get pushed back into their base and a 30 minute seige ensues while the rines slowly lose p and t res as their weapons and sentries are lost.
  • wulf 21wulf 21 Join Date: 2011-05-03 Member: 96875Members
    Or if they don't pay attention their IPs get rushed within the first 5 minutes XD.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Like the idea of aliens not catching fire until armor is depleted. It's so annoying to be touched by the flames (often as theyre going through solid objects/vents/walls) and then watch your health go down to almost nothing, you lose the ability to hear sounds too.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2011
    The crippling effect on the Flamethrower should simply be removed, since there is now slow-on-take-damage effect. Removing a player's ability to attack or escape for extended amount of time (longer than a seconds) is anti-fun.
  • AfanAfan Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73276Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1859260:date=Jul 9 2011, 08:56 PM:name=TrueVeritas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrueVeritas @ Jul 9 2011, 08:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1859260"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The worst part is with the way the game is set up you can't totally change the fade to be more fun without making it overpowered. Give it too much energy and it's just frustrating for marines who can't hit it when it's blinking. Can't make the fade like NS1 fade since everyone has shotguns and a single blink in would pretty much mean a guaranteed death.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Make Fade's blink drain exponential with a small activation cost to encourage lots of short blinks allowing small chances for it to be hit?
  • elmo33elmo33 Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68377Members
    Personally I think its working ok right now. No problems killing group of marines whit hit and run tactics. Just play it correctly and dont start to dance around the marines trying to swipe constantly, like all the fades seem to be doing. If you do that, a single shotgun marine will rape you if he can aim.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1859302:date=Jul 10 2011, 09:37 AM:name=Afan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Afan @ Jul 10 2011, 09:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1859302"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Make Fade's blink drain exponential with a small activation cost to encourage lots of short blinks allowing small chances for it to be hit?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Correct me if I'm wrong but would not this lead to "spamming" blink when you are moving since it is always good to have at least half adrenaline.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Has anyone tried literally clicking mouse2 as fast they can whilst using strafe keys.

Not only do you use very little energy (you actually can recover it whilst doing this), but half the time you can't be hit. This can be very confusing for Marines trying to finish you off.

Go practice/try it out.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    So, I think that fire damage should burn away adrenaline proportional to its damage; so every tick just burns away some adrenaline, but the "on fire" burning is significantly less than the direct flame from a flamethrower.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1859230:date=Jul 10 2011, 01:25 AM:name=watewer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (watewer @ Jul 10 2011, 01:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1859230"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->marines arent suposed to kill fade 1on1 it should be 3marines = 1 fade in even player skill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Which would be fine if the game was played with 3 times more marines than aliens, but as it isn't, you need to make it more of a 1 to 1 balance.

<!--quoteo(post=1859342:date=Jul 10 2011, 11:35 AM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Jul 10 2011, 11:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1859342"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Has anyone tried literally clicking mouse2 as fast they can whilst using strafe keys.

Not only do you use very little energy (you actually can recover it whilst doing this), but half the time you can't be hit. This can be very confusing for Marines trying to finish you off.

Go practice/try it out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I did that in 179, not because I needed to, but because it was cool.