Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 180

FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds EntertainmentSan Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 180 here

Comments

• SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Awesome stuff, updating to b180 right now, can't wait to play it =D
  • GomezieGomezie Join Date: 2009-05-29 Member: 67534Members
    Awesome!

Patching now :D
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Disabling multithreading for model blending (causes hitches)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Will this have a negative impact on overall performance?

Not to nag or anything, just wondering.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hurry up steam! I'm impatient!
  • TravCarpTravCarp Join Date: 2010-06-04 Member: 71962Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Great stuff guys thanks again!

Now it's time to get impatient for 181 :P
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    great work, huge list of bug fixes and other stuff cant wait to try it out, cmon steam download! download Like you've never done before!
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    didnt increase shotgun price at all tho?
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2011
    Downloading now :)
    Thoughts about the changelog:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ARCs and MACs now cost team resources<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think MACs should still cost personal resources. As they support marines in building/repairing etc., and personal res is the commanders supporting resource?
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Reduced medpack cost from 2 to 1 to help address marine comm running out of res problems<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Was this still a problem after changing ARCs (and MACs) to Team Res?

Can't wait for the patch, keep up the good work! Sadly it's only 10% done downloading, gotta stay awake! :P

After playing the patch a decent amount of hours, I have some things to say about B180:

Cysts make aliens very weak, they are the opposite of power nodes in some way. But they are alot more vulnerable, and a single marine can quickly(1 rifle mag/3 shotgun shells) cut you off a large part of the map(and kill your buildings in this area) by destroying a single cyst. Compared to powernodes that is very weak. Destroying a powernode is much harder, and it doesnt kill your buildings when it goes down.
    Therefore I would like to purpose a suggestion:
    Make the flamethrower the only weapon to destroy infestation again(its now more easily accessable, since you dont need two command stations to get it anymore)
    Think about molding infestation as alien commander. I'm thinking:
    Infestation ability on the hive should only require one use to get to one location, it will grow over time, and it will cost energy per distance so it cant be spammed. (At start you should be able to reach the first harvester location)
    The infestation grows from the hive to the location the infestation ability was used, slowly crawling up the walls and after some time, the cieling too.
    When you use the infestation ability, the infestation grows from the closest hive or closest infestation. This would make infestation feel more "alive" instead of a cyst coming out of nowhere, and spreading infestation.
    Maybe it could use the same waypoints as MACs and drifters to get around the map? (So it goes through vents, if thats a shorter path to the target.)
    Have cysts do something else than produce infestation. Maybe increase growth rate of infestation in a wide area. They could still be used from the hive, or maybe made by a drifter?
    Remove gorge mini cysts and bring back the healspray infestation(later in 3D mesh like the rest) and let it connect with the old infestation, but make it cost 1 Pres to healspray the ground, so its used tactically instead of just being spammed.
    My two cents on Cysts and infestation..

The prices on the marine weapons are too low after they are able to pick each others weapons up. Shotgun should cost 20-25. And the GL should cost 25. They are too cheap. And on that note; I had a rifle today, and picked up a flamethrower. Then I had a rifle that shot flames, very cool ;)

Also, the slowdown on aliens is very frustrating, it isn't the same with marines. They have the ability to shoot, aliens don't. They need to get up close and personal, that can hard if you are slowed down by bullets/grenades/whatever. :) I know that aliens dont have celerity yet, but still, this is making basic marines in groups very powerful against lesser lifeforms in groups.

And oh, btw. nice job on the new prototype for lerk flight, cant wait for the full lerk v2.0
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Reduced Robotics Factory build time from 40 to 30 because very boring as marine<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i lol'ed
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    These are some of the more epic changes:

Decreased GL cost from 30 to 20

Added string encoding so single and double quotes work in chat and fixed some sizing issues (Thanks Marc!)

Added new crosshair images and a custom crosshair for SpitSpray (Thanks Harrison McCabe!)
  • urinalcakeurinalcake Can&#39;t work a sound card United States Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7799Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Reduced Robotics Factory build time from 40 to 30 because very boring as marine<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Did somebody accidentally a whole coke bottle while writing this?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bilebomb is the bomb (updated bile bomb effects)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Quotes like this throughout the changelog made me laugh pretty hardcore.

I changed my Steam download server to Seattle, because Charlotte hasn't fully received it yet, so I was receiving in pieces (since it uses Torrent-like technology.) I may be downloading at 604kbps as opposed to 1.4mbps per second, but it's definitely worth the wait to me. Great job team!
  • Cyberwarrior00785Cyberwarrior00785 Join Date: 2010-02-20 Member: 70651Members
    i know this sounds od but love youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu keep em coming
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Sounds Awesome!@ keep up the good work guys, I'll be playing all night now :)
  • BamBam!BamBam! Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104527Members
    no sleep for me tonight. gj guys really looking forward to it!
  • garvanigarvani Join Date: 2009-09-02 Member: 68678Members
    Looking good! only thing im not so sure about is <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lerk Changes: Decreased max range of spores from infinity to 10 meters. These changes should make him a more deadly "finisher" of human targets and in combat more<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> Quite enjoyed harrasing marines from a far with spores, i thought this was a legitimate tactic of the lerk.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    38kb/s

I have never seen a low gear like that in quite a while T_T
  • LtJunoLtJuno Join Date: 2011-07-08 Member: 109043Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Most of it sounds good, but here's the main thing I don't care for.

Shotgun damage was <b>increased</b>, yet it is still dirt cheap at 15 resources. I know it's meant to be an earlier weapon, but it is extremely too powerful for it's cost.

Other than that, things I like:
    Cyst sounds cool.
    The new Lerk sounds great.
    The armory is able to refill ammo before you are healed.
    Marine run speed based on loadout.
    All of the re-vamps to the Summit map.

Hope some good stuff is coming in 181.
  • LaggasaurusLaggasaurus Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22773Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1858877:date=Jul 9 2011, 12:45 AM:name=garvani)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (garvani @ Jul 9 2011, 12:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858877"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Looking good! only thing im not so sure about is Quite enjoyed harrasing marines from a far with spores, i thought this was a legitimate tactic of the lerk.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I believe with the change to lerk flight you should feel more comfortable hanging close to marines, plus being able to project a cloud of gas 100m is a little silly :D
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1858880:date=Jul 8 2011, 11:49 PM:name=LtJuno)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LtJuno @ Jul 8 2011, 11:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858880"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Shotgun damage was <b>increased</b>, yet it is still dirt cheap at 15 resources. I know it's meant to be an earlier weapon, but it is extremely too powerful for it's cost.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, increased with 2. At point blank range.
    AND, decreased to 1 at distance.

The shotgun has been 'nerfed' alot at range and only 'buffed' a tiny bit on point blank range :)
  • Cyberwarrior00785Cyberwarrior00785 Join Date: 2010-02-20 Member: 70651Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1858879:date=Jul 8 2011, 03:49 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Jul 8 2011, 03:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858879"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->38kb/s

I have never seen a low gear like that in quite a while T_T<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i know QQ i usually get 1 to 2 mb per second
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Great patch. The Cysts and Mini-Cysts build extremely quickly (not that I mind), but 1 ARC can make mincemeat of them in seconds really. I particularly like requiring vision from Marines to let ARC target buildings.

Lerk is like a missile now, totally cool! I can't wait to check out Lerk 2.0 with this improved flight model. I've yet to make much use of Fade, but the increased energy cost and slower swing speed for Swipe is looking good for hit and runs.
  • TheLordTheLord Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16258Members
    Soo... did anyone finish the NS2 download yet? I'm sitting at 23% and it's pretty much stuck there, just downloading a few MBs every 5 mins.

If you are finished, which steam download server (region) did you use?
  • Fluid CoreFluid Core Join Date: 2007-12-26 Member: 63260Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Reverting power node disabled color back to full red because everyone likes it more<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This means that it doesn't oscillate anymore? That was awsome when it did and really added to the flavour, aswell as giving the aliens abit of an advantage in a "claimed" zone. I'm updateing now to see if that's really it, I hope not. If not I'll be a sad panda D:
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1858886:date=Jul 8 2011, 05:02 PM:name=TheLord)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheLord @ Jul 8 2011, 05:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858886"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Soo... did anyone finish the NS2 download yet? I'm sitting at 23% and it's pretty much stuck there, just downloading a few MBs every 5 mins.

If you are finished, which steam download server (region) did you use?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Canada Vancouver~
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    edited July 2011
    Im still at 0%....been like that for a while now :\.

Can't wait to play it....waiting.
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    Just reading about the new DI implementation is so awesome! It's a little sad to see the gorge DI painting ability go away though. I see how it's for the best, but it makes me think about how to expand on the cysts system a bit more.

A modest proposal for gorge directed DI beyond just cyst planting:

A gorge could have an ability to direct a peninsula of DI growth from an existing patch. This would enable a gorge player to paint sections of DI growth in segments extending the DI with some amount of fine control beyond the circles emanating from cysts.

The strategy and player creativity aspects of this feature should be apparent, as well as the possible unbalancing. The painting of DI could allow for some further player input and variability in the DI system. Gorges working together could bridge unconnected cysts or create healing crag stashes in interesting places.

I just had to get this idea out of my head.

Thanks for reading!
  • TAPETRVETAPETRVE Join Date: 2011-02-08 Member: 80866Members
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I remember having dial up and begging my 56.6K modem to finish downloading a 40MB file over a few hours.

I was the envy of 28.8K users.

For shame!