How do I effectively defend my 2nd hive?

AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
edited June 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
When I commanded the alien team a while back I noticed that it was impossible to expand and get RTs at a decent speed without a 2nd hive providing enough energy for infesting. But just putting the 2nd hive up straight away doesn't really work since the marines can walk in, shoot defending aliens as they jump at them (no lerks that early in the game...) and then just murder the hive.

Leaving it for later means we're behind in tech and resources, so I'm at a loss.

Comments

• QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I usually try to get mele #1 before dropping the second hive. Skulks can kill in 2 bites and more easily defend things. After a second RT is down and I saved 50 res again, the whole team has enough resources to defend the hive with lerks and hydras. Having 1 or 2 gorges in the hive to heal defending aliens is crucial. Having said that, in public games, just dropping the second hive at game start seems to be successful about 80% of the time with a half decent team.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Tell 1-2 players to go gorge (or go gorge yourself if no one listens, its ok to not be comm for a bit to get up the extremely vital 2nd hive). Have them make DI with the heal spray in strategic spots and then drop hydras. As long as they keep heal spray DIing the hydras, they will last until the hive builds.

Also, try to get your other players to defend as skulk/lerk. If they won't listen and marines are shotgun rushing your 2nd hive, try to get your team to attack marine start (chances are it only has a few marines defending it since the rest are likely attacking your hive).
  • hf_hf_ Join Date: 2011-06-10 Member: 103639Members
    The best defense is usually a good offense. I've found that if you dedicate half your team to protecting the hive (a few skulks, gorge, or lerk) and the rest to attacking the marine base or res nodes, the marines will be pressured to defend their own structures and bases as opposed to focusing their attack solely on taking down the second hive.

Marines typically go into a frenzied rush mode to kill the second hive so their base shouldn't be too well defended, and if they do manage to take down the hive you can possibly return the favor by killing an infantry portal and armory while they're away from the base.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    You can get a second RT right from the start at generator. Expand the infestation carefully, and remember that the alien hive infestation extends a lot further than the decal shows at summit start.

From there, tell your aliens to move to surface access and hold it while you plant a hive, then protect it while it grows. You don't have much to spend money on at the start, so two res nodes is more than enough until you get the second hive. I would suggest you concentrate on pushing the infestation into surface from generator as well, as linking hives together is a good idea, and it also allows you to drop crags (sometimes they work at first hive) to help your aliens, although a gorge can do just as well. You should be able to get a lerk or two by the time the hive is planted so defending it should not be very difficult.
  • xVisionsxVisions Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68021Members
    Getting a gorge to help you out will be very beneficial
  • acid_rainacid_rain NS2 NAPT Mascot Austin, TX Join Date: 2010-02-16 Member: 70588Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    edited July 2011
    With the addition of cysts very soon, this shouldn't be much of a problem. I normally don't drop a hive until later in the game. I focus on giving my aliens top damage and top defense before the marines can do the same. When heavy pressure is put on marine start that is when I will expand. Constant pressure at home will cause all focus to move to marine start. It's a good idea at that point to disable all power nodes closest to marine start, so even once it's cleared of alien pressure, the focus is still off the hive, and is mainly on rebuilding power nodes for RTs.

Keeping your enemy's mind off what's going on around them by messing with them at their base is a great way to expand. I cannot say the same for turtle-expanding.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    3 hydras should do the trick. Place them near the hive to cover both entrances to surface access.

Offense can be the best defense here, marines generally won't attack if they are under attack so keep the pressure on them and attack their IP which can cause the comm to get out of his chair and chase you...wasting marine team precious time.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ya like others have said, time your hive so it comes out when people have 50 res. fast 2nd hive is quite pointless otherwise. whip -> melee 1, gen rt and pool energy and res best times this. This might mean hopping out of the hive, gorging yourself and putting temp hydras in surface etc while waiting.
    You should have lerks almost immediately after the start because you start with 25 resources.

Also your aliens should defend the hive better, marines walking into the hive puts them on the disadvantage, because it puts skulks in a prime situation for ambushing. Further, marines are slower than skulks, so your skulks should be able to reinforce the hive faster than marines, to say nothing of mixing a lerk in, and preferably a gorge dropping a couple of hydras/healing people. Also using a gorge allows you to grab the hive RT straight away with gorge infestation.

Really speaking your greatest threat is marines shotgun rushing the hive, it's hard to kill them that quickly if they come in force, you'd need at least two lerks I think to hold off a shotgun rush.

Generally speaking I think your best bet is to concentrate most of your team in the growing hive, with at least one gorge and lerk in there, then get one or two other players to run around the rest of the map harassing marine resource towers, either you'll draw marines away from the hive, or you'll cripple their res income, good idea either way.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Umbra (Crag) is suppose to be effective against bullet based weapons like Rifles, Shotguns and Pistols. I hope a small improvement to Umbra will make early Crag a viable counter against the Shotgun rush.

I also believe that the dominance of the Shotgun rush highlights the need for dynamic structure health scaling. Dynamic (effective) health scaling has been used as a balancing mechanism in games with fluctuating player count, such as Diablo and WoW (Wintergrasp), which I think is quite effective at preventing certain game elements (eg structures) from being trivialized with increased player count.
    I think the problem is that shotguns are really overpowered against structures, they are literally one of the best anti structure weapons available to the marines, and they get them right at the start.

Given that they carry a lot of ammo, cutting the anti-structure DPS in half would probably fix the problem.
  • Taxen0Taxen0 Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73357Members
    I agree with chris, make the shotgun worse against structures. also give the grenade launcher a minor boost to compensate.
  • devakdevak Join Date: 2011-06-17 Member: 104924Members
    my most effective tactic for hive #2:

check the map a bit and see where the main battles are. find the calmest spot and drop the hive there. makes defending it VERY easy. i usually drop it in Crossroads, where it's a pain to defend, but it's also the one place the marines almost never look
    Oh yeah that's important too, try to keep it undiscovered for as long as possible, because that's basically free growth time. It can be hard on the small maps but if you keep the marines distracted enough they can sometimes not notice it until it's grown.
  • rushmonkeyrushmonkey Join Date: 2009-04-17 Member: 67215Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1858761:date=Jul 8 2011, 01:14 PM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Jul 8 2011, 01:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858761"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I also believe that the dominance of the Shotgun rush highlights the need for dynamic structure health scaling. Dynamic (effective) health scaling has been used as a balancing mechanism in games with fluctuating player count, such as Diablo and WoW (Wintergrasp), which I think is quite effective at preventing certain game elements (eg structures) from being trivialized with increased player count.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
  • SkwareSkware Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58125Members
    Depends. Your going to need a strong army to hold a crossroads hive, but the map control gained is pretty worth it.
    Taking heliport just needs a good Lerk (+ some other backup of course)in the long hall, and Surface access can be held easily with a gorge/hydra (again, with skulk backup) on the ramp.
    I generally find that map control isn't much of a concern for aliens. Once you get two hives, you're in an excellent position to spread map control with infestation and highly mobile alien units.

Marines need their bases for map control because their bases give them their mobility, but aliens get it naturally.

The best way to get map control as aliens is probably to get your second hive, and its RT as well as one more RT so that you can fund your fades and lerks. Then you use your crags and infestation to build forward outposts to help keep your fast aliens alive and track marine movements.

But you do need that second hive, I generally think your second hive should be defensible, rather than aggressively positioned.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited July 2011
    Warning: This entire post is mostly off-topic.

<!--quoteo(post=1858761:date=Jul 8 2011, 08:14 PM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Jul 8 2011, 08:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858761"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I also believe that the dominance of the Shotgun rush highlights the need for dynamic structure health scaling. Dynamic (effective) health scaling has been used as a balancing mechanism in games with fluctuating player count, such as Diablo and WoW (Wintergrasp), which I think is quite effective at preventing certain game elements (eg structures) from being trivialized with increased player count.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +0.98
    My only gripes with this are purely preferential. I generally don't like the idea of an effectively artificial scaling mechanism (for example, resource income as a function of player count); and games may vary in player count a lot, so determining how much health a structure should have (especially if it's been damaged) would be a pain... but I see the necessity (and many of my recent posts have dealt with scaling/scalability issues), so on the whole I agree.

<b><u>Ignore the following if you wish</u></b>... just my musings on how you might attempt to balance and implement this.
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->N number of players using this attack should take T number of seconds to kill this structure. T is your specified (arbitrary) constant, N is your variable.
    The amount of damage an attack does is A hitpoints per second, the amount of hitpoints a structure has is H.
    Note: N would most likely be less than actual player-count, but would certainly be proportional to player count (N would be a proportion of player-count). The ratio of N to actual player count would need to be considered (and is fairly arbitrary).

So H/T=N*A;
    Rearranging,
    H/N = T*A
    Let R = H/N
    Then R = T*A
    R, Ratio of hitpoints to number of players = T, time (seconds) to kill a structure * A, damage per second of an attack

Pick a basis situation, so GIVEN a basis attack (e.g. bite) with A damage per second (your base variable, which is already balanced on a player vs player basis; apply any factors like structural damage type); SPECIFY the ideal time, T seconds, that it should take for this attack to kill this structure (e.g. extractor); MULTIPLY A and T to get R

Then
    H = R*N
    The hitpoints of the structure scales with the number of players.

R must necessarily be constant, so for other attacks, either accept T's new value (whether more or less), or work to re-balance A for this structure to get T to be ideal: either through applying factors such as structural damage type, or by increasing or decreasing the value of A as necessary (but you must, in turn, re-balance player health with this new A).

Alternatively, work backwards: start with T and R and get A from there.

A spreadsheet of the damage per second (or time taken to kill) of every single attack versus every single unit or structure would be of great benefit in attempting this.

Alternatively, for every attack, you could give it an anti-player damage, P, and an INDEPENDENT anti-structure damage, A. This would make it IMMENSELY easier to balance, however, it does lead to some player confusion / lack of intuitiveness. (How much damage does this weapon do? Why does this weapon do so much damage to players but it takes forever to kill a harvester?)<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->