More Sci-Fi-esque, nanite-y guns

CaCaCaCa Join Date: 2003-06-12 Member: 17319Members
edited April 2011 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">Minor cosmetic and gameplay tweaks for immersion's sake.</div>(I must mention: This is my 1st post since them heady NS1 days of old.)

I loooove NS2, even just in it's current state, and am mostly content to take things as they come, impressed as I am by what UWE has already achieved, what with makin' they're own "thang": the NS world, the Spark engine, and just they're overall stylish game implementations.

That said, I've one minor gripe with the "bullet based" guns (pistol, rifle, shotgun): They're too "powder-tech-y", if that makes any sense, and not "futuristic" or "nanite based" enough.

I know the general NS vibe is one of grittyness-ness, and that's all good, so I wouldn't think any kind of lasers, phasers or plasma weapon type guns would fit in at all. However, as I've always understood it, the TSA have nanites. Making nanites "canon" is great as a McGuffin-y way to explain how things work in ways they probably shouldn't. Like "magic", right? But as things are now, the pistol, rifle and shottie are just devoid of any sort of nanite intervention at all, which I feel is a wasted opportunity in more ways than one. So here I throw out some ideas of how to make nanites actually come into play, albeit in a very minor, mostly cosmetic way:

<ol type='1'><li><b>Blue muzzle flash</b> - How about giving all muzzle flashes a very slight blueish tint? I remember a couple of muzzle flash replacements in NS1 did that, and I definately used those ever since I found 'em. In the case of the pistol and rifle, both of which have those "exhaust" holes near the muzzle, maybe have some of the flash actually slightly come out from there too, or at least only light up slightly when firing.</li><li><b>Caseless nanite bullets</b> - I find the whole ejection port in a "futuristic" weapon pretty ridiculous, and really, is it that <i>cool</i> to <i>barely</i> see the shells fly out? Caseless ammo exists and so there you have an excuse not to have shells ejecting <i>at all</i>. Also, in 3rd person you don't see shells flying everywhere, so there is that too...</li><li><b>Nano-mags that don't need cocking</b> - I find the "cocking" part of the rifle's reload animation unnecessary. It's the future... Do we really need to kok this friggin' huge rifle? Wouldn't someone have come up with a way to overcome that need?
Maybe the magazines are actually "nanite-cartridges" filled with nanites, and as soon as you press the trigger the nanites instantly construct bullets right in the firing chamber just before being fired, so there'd be no need to "kok" to move the 1st bullet into the chamber.</li><li><b>More nanite-ish shotgun</b> - I'm not much sold on the shotgun reload animation. I love the slapping the loader back in part, but the individual shell feeding just feels awkward. Now you see those 6 round blueish lights on the side of they shottie? What if they were 8 instead of 6? What if those were the actual "shells", only think of them as "nanite-capsules"? And how about each time you fire, one of the lights goes out, dissintegrating, so you can tell how many shots you have left just by seeing how many lights remain? Reloading would then be placing new "nano-capsules" in those now empty slots where the small blue lights go. And when you fire your last shell the top-loader thing snaps out, acting as a sort of "exhaust" with a bit of blue mist spewing forth as if sending out expended nanos. Of course, once finished reloading the nano-capsules, the awesome slapping top loader back down animation'd still be there, accompanied with the "winding up" sound that already exists.
Alternatively maybe those lights on the side of the shotgun could be used as the ammo counter for whatever upcoming alt-fire.
Also, how about no cocking between each blast? By all means keep the firing rate delay by giving a longer recoil, but remove the primitive cocking... Hell, we have auto-shotguns nowadays that don't need cocking. Again, to me that feels kinda unnecessary.</li><li><b>Welder as alt-fire for pistol</b> - I'm not sure if welders are to be implemented in NS2, but if they were, I think it'd be awesome if the pistol could double-up as the welder, maybe as an add on module, similar to the rifle's grenade launcher. Or maybe it could be in as default, so you have the welder as pistol's alt-fire already when you spawn, and when you help build a structure, you'd do it with the pistol selected and using it's alt-fire. But when using the welder for repairs or anything other than structure-building, it'd actually use up a small amount of individual resources.
Of course, we'd lose the current pistol alt-fire but I think it's really unnecessary anyway.</li><li><b>Grenade launcher under instead of side</b> - This one's pretty obvious, and I'm sure many have thought the same. S'not really important, but hey, it'd be cool, as I personally don't dig the grenade module that much. And the rifle <i>does</i> already have an unused, unexplained 2nd under-barrel after all, and the grenade ammo counter could just as easily be on the side of the rifle.</li></ol>

Well, that's all I can think of. I'm pretty sure I had a few other stupid ideas so if I remember them I'll add them.
I realize most of these things would involve remodelling, retexturing, reanimating, and stuff like that so I doubt any of this'll ever be implemented, but hey! T'would be cool if they did...

Comments

• KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    I think the idea is that most of the nanite technology is either very expensive and/or still in it's infancy, and is therefore not used for mass produced things like weaponry.
  • CaCaCaCa Join Date: 2003-06-12 Member: 17319Members
    Uh-huh. And yet they use it for, oh, let's see... Teleportation! Creating medpaks and ammo out of thin air! Actually whole structures out of thin air... Or armories that instantly magically (nanite-ly) construct weapons on demand.

Also, these TSA incursions seem more like very specific pinpointed operations, not outright wars, so if I'd have to guess I'd say they use this "expensive" technology in these cases because the cost vs reward is favorable.

But that's all beside the point, which was to give the weapons a more "distinct" look and feel, for an already mostly "distinctive" game.
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    I think it would be an awesome idea to have the blue muzzle flash and the chamber "mist". Would be a great medium between the rugged, classic designs and the futuristic functionality that UW is about. +1 on the under grenade launcher

<!--quoteo(post=1841630:date=Apr 19 2011, 06:54 PM:name=CaCa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CaCa @ Apr 19 2011, 06:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1841630"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, how about no cocking between each blast? By all means keep the firing rate delay by giving a longer recoil, but remove the primitive cocking... Hell, we have auto-shotguns nowadays that don't need cocking. Again, to me that feels kinda unnecessary.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

UW explained that the pump action just has an "aura" to it. I know it's a bit off, since the whole "aura" of the pump action is rugged and reliably simple- putting flashy ammo counters on it and "nanites that move the shells from the barrel to the magazine tube" really contradicts this image.

I do think a pump is a better choice for gameplay reasons though.
  • Jason WhoreJason Whore Join Date: 2011-04-11 Member: 92514Members
    Phasers Lasers and puls weapons dont work on aliens because their cells wont die if they get heated up
    they also have so many cells (really small cells with high regen rate) that its not importend if ~10000 die
    they are also coated or something so if a few cells heat up they wont give thermal energy to the others
    around 'em !
    so the marines couldnt use the newest weapons..

a few years before phasers/lasers and stuff were invented really futuristic and reliable bullet based weapons
    were build. they never reached "perfectition" because laser/phasers came in
    and now marines use these bulky, industrial (maybe even prototype) outdated bullet weapons because
    ripping apart cells from each other always works ! (thats also the reason the 2sec is so effective)

sounds good, non ?
  • Jason WhoreJason Whore Join Date: 2011-04-11 Member: 92514Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1841659:date=Apr 20 2011, 11:14 AM:name=wulf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wulf @ Apr 20 2011, 11:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1841659"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->UW explained that the pump action just has an "aura" to it. I know it's a bit off, since the whole "aura" of the pump action is rugged and reliably simple- putting flashy ammo counters on it and "nanites that move the shells from the barrel to the magazine tube" really contradicts this image.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

could you give me the link to that post please?
    What he ^ said... ;)

But ok, yes, I admit that pumping shotguns between each blast, while unnecessary, feels pretty badass. I can live with the pumping.

But reloading by placing shell after shell in that loader thing... It's fine, but just feels awkward.

That said, it'd be cool if what you're loading in the current animation are these "nano-capsules" I mentioned. And as you load each one, those lights on the side of the shotgun light up one by one. And as you shoot, the lights go out one by one. And when you fire your last shot, the top loader springs up and let's out a small blue mist.

Aesthetics, dammit!
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    The idea of a gun that shoots nanites is interesting, I did have one as an alternative to the proposed tazer as a combined melee/secondary weapon.

It would have infinite, but slowly recharging ammo. Primary fire would be a single, chargeable shot. Charged shots load more nanites into the gun and it does more damage, also charged shots do damage over time, but you wouldn't get many of them and they'd be hard to aim.

Secondary fire would be an injector of sorts, uses more nanites but does a lot of damage, with DOT, especially against structures. The downside is that it's only melee range.

I wouldn't replace the existing guns though, regular gun mechanisms are pretty cool, they explode when you shoot them, make a loud noise, move around a lot, shoot bits of stuff out the side, all of which are cool things.
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, I wouldn't replace the grittyness-ness of loud BANGing guns either. What I proposed wasn't guns that fire nanites though. I meant the mags hold nanites which <b>build</b> each bullet instantly just before each bullet is to be fired. This woulnd't really change anything, but I just made that up as an excuse to have blue muzzle flashes and no ejecting shells and no need to "kok" guns.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Blue is OK but very mass effect, I'd just go with having the flash be more shaped, like coming out of the side holes as you said.

Caseless ammo and no cocking though I don't like. That's part of the coolness, have stuff fly out in third person, make it more obvious in first, and have as much button pressing and lever pulling and action cycling as possible on guns, that's cool, hell I'd have all the guns be clockwork if I could.
    Yeah, to be fair, I also like and understand the coolness of all the "clackitty-clack"-ness of cocking and lever pulling and all that.

But still, the rifle's reload animation already has a lot of those things: pulling down the mag while opening that handle-whatevermathing-trapdoor, slapping mag back in, pulling handle-trapdoor-thing back in place... Do you really need to kok it as well?

And in the case of ejecting shells I find it unnecessary, as in, does anyone reeeeaaallly notice it? I mean, really? I mean, c'mon, really? And if you do notice it, isn't it slightly distracting, even if it were going out the<i> right</i> way? Not <i>too</i> distracting, but slightly, and unnecessarily...

I repeat: I like NS2 and everything about it, yes, the guns as well, just as they are now... But, I'd prefer it if these things we're just not there. Streamlining!
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    these are futuristic weapons, even though they are still bullets.

This is kind of related, but how about when the assault rifle is fired, instead of casings flying everywhere, it has heatsinks(like computer heatsinks, only designed for a weapon) around it that glow red as it's being fired... because these bullets are so awesome. What would be awesome though would be if the heatsink was on the underside of the gun, so if the marine fires, then melees an alien, oh wait aliens are resisitant to hea,,, no theyre not, flamethrowers... so as I said, he melees the alien, and it does extra damage.
    <!--quoteo(post=1841886:date=Apr 21 2011, 11:52 PM:name=Ironsoul)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ironsoul @ Apr 21 2011, 11:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1841886"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->these are futuristic weapons, even though they are still bullets.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Really? What about them would you say is futuristic? The fact that they're "different" in shape from anything that exists? That isn't futuristic, that's just <i>fiction</i>.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    Ammo readouts.

I'm not a big fan of the current weapon designs either. I'd have liked a more... bullpup design - since that would better suit the close quarters, and firing-from-the-hip that NS has.
    edited June 2011
    I know this is a bit of a bump but I still think its a good idea to consider

+1 on blue tinted muzzle flash and chamber mist
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    I'm not really into the marine weapon designs either. They just don't feel cool to fire and are kinda plastic looking. The firing effect with all the guns + sentries doesn't have any visual impact.
  • liambardenliambarden Join Date: 2011-06-29 Member: 107096Members
    How about this, instead of manually inserting the shells into the shotgun one by one, you jab a nanite 'syringe' pack into the side of the shotgun and inject a load of nanites into it. This way you could still keep the slow reload (takes 5 seconds to fully inject) but it would be a really cool sci fi way of doing so.

The syringe could be really bulky, more like an ammo pack than a medical syringe and release a blue mist when injecting and maybe have some kind of lcd screen on it to show how full it is.

What do you think?
  • RichardRahlRichardRahl Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104594Members
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1841886:date=Apr 21 2011, 07:52 PM:name=Ironsoul)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ironsoul @ Apr 21 2011, 07:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1841886"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->these are futuristic weapons, even though they are still bullets.

This is kind of related, but how about when the assault rifle is fired, instead of casings flying everywhere, it has heatsinks(like computer heatsinks, only designed for a weapon) around it that glow red as it's being fired... because these bullets are so awesome. What would be awesome though would be if the heatsink was on the underside of the gun, so if the marine fires, then melees an alien, oh wait aliens are resisitant to hea,,, no theyre not, flamethrowers... so as I said, he melees the alien, and it does extra damage.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're really going to rip off Mass effect 2 like that? Cause you just came up with this idea yourself right?

On topic.

I also agree that the guns just arn't as cool as they could be, they need to be more sci fi.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    And a new grenade launcher, seriously gunnuts are going berserk over it. Flimsy on the side off balancing grenade launcher XD
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    text wall warning

so yea... nanites.... no.

The obvious flaws:

Nanites cannot be used as 'magic' ammo makers. every shot you fire shoots a mass of lead or whatever out of the gun. this means that eventually you will run out of available mass. if the nanites just keep making ammo, you will very quickly violate the conservation of mass.

furthermore, why would someone every develop a gun that requires such complexity? nanites? microscopic machines inside my gun? they fabricate new ammo every time i shoot? wheres the battery that powers them? when i think of a gun, i need to count on it to work right every time, otherwise im dead. the pump shotgun is a great example. not only is it "bad ass" but also a very reliable gun. traditional ammo makes great sense, its simple, cheap, and REALLY good at killing fleshy things.

In regards to how the commander apparently uses nanites for structures and medpacks ect. he/she is using the facilities nannite system. it is much more likely that a large facility may have a nanite system. its pretty simple to see. it s got to cost a lot of money, say a few million, to develop a nanite system for a specific application (gun, facility, ect.)

so is it worth installing in your multi million/billion dollar facilities out in space/other planets? Yes.
    is it worth developing for you $200 guns, when a bunch will be lost/broken/captured by enemies(not kharaa of course). No.

If you want to see a more futuristic approach to weapon design consider a rail or coil gun.

The technology for these weapons is already proven. the major drawback today is the power source. you need a lot of voltage and current to power one.

consider the current LMG

we could easily think of it as a rail gun. each magazine contain many small pelets (the ammo) and a battery with enough charge to fire the full magazine.
    as for the cool blue muzzle flash, now you can get cool blue crackling electricity down the barrel with each shot.

nuff said (aka tldr)

but all this railgun talk gives me an idea for how people complain that the lmg doesnt scale well into the late game. post it later.
    <!--quoteo(post=1857341:date=Jun 30 2011, 10:01 AM:name=thefonz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thefonz @ Jun 30 2011, 10:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1857341"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->furthermore, why would someone every develop a gun that requires such complexity? nanites? microscopic machines inside my gun? they fabricate new ammo every time i shoot? wheres the battery that powers them? when i think of a gun, i need to count on it to work right every time, otherwise im dead. the pump shotgun is a great example. not only is it "bad ass" but also a very reliable gun. traditional ammo makes great sense, its simple, cheap, and REALLY good at killing fleshy things.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've been saying this for a while, what uw did to shotgun kinda flies in the face of what one expects from a reliable design
  • xVisionsxVisions Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68021Members
    Mabye nanite nano things could be upgrades later? Blue bullets are the upgraded rifles for damage, shotguns now regenerate ammunition slowly or something and you dont have to reload all the shells just 1 or 2 nanite cases or something
  • SgtThompsonSgtThompson Join Date: 2005-01-18 Member: 36340Members
    edited July 2011
    I think it would be cool to add in a heat effect to the guns. For example, if you're firing a machine gun at something for a while, it's going to get pretty hot, so the barrel could start to glow red and maybe even distort the air around it until it cools down.

Blue flash is cool, but removing spent casings and racking the gun seems to take away from the aesthetics more than help. (unless you did the whole "5th Element" style button loading, lol)
    I'm sure the magic shotgun already has an internal liquid cooling system. No need to worry.