Fade needs some retooling

thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
edited June 2011 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">'blink shield"</div>So i've heard, seen, and now, done it. by it i mean repeatedly blinking as a fade. While I realize that rapid blinking its a great thing for the fade to use in an attack, it is also abuse-able, imho.

Below is a video i took from the fades perspective when blinking. i was against, what 4-5 rines with rifles and shotties, not sure what dmg upgrades they had. I hadd all my defense upgrades. I meant to start the video before the shooting when i had full health. they kinda just went crazy on me. anyway all you missed is when i had to hit the video key and lost a bit of health while fraps lagged me and i couldnt blink.

Thanks to the marines who helped light me up. sorry i forgot to grab a look at the players list to mention you all.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHZ03gaqvms" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHZ03gaqvms</a>

as is, a fade could act like a big bullet sponge, since it is a priority target. mean while other kharaa have plenty of opportunity to strike distraced marines. plus all that blink smoke..

the way i see it, i seems the invulnerability from blinking seems to extend slightly after the blink. i don't want to see a complete nerf of blink. just a retool of the invulnerability or slight delay between blinks. dunno, maybe it will just get better with further optimization of the game.

Comments

• TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Good point, but as you probably noticed shotgun didnt even hit once and the lmg's were acting idiots emptyings clip to practically unknown.

Decent shotgunner calculates more and you probably wouldnt be able to attack anyway you'll start to see pattern soon anyway.

Regardless good point and video we are bound to see moaning about this anyway.
  • xVisionsxVisions Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68021Members
    edited June 2011
    Put a half second cooldown on blink. solved.
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    I thought this was <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=113847" target="_blank">my thread</a> for a second. Unfair usage of the signature word!

Oh well.

Anyways... blink spam reduction could go a long way towards balancing this (admittedly unfinished) game.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    just make some minimum blink cost, which lets you drop to zero energy quite fast when your playstyle is like that :D
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Which discourages fades from using their sole class feature.

A timer on the other hand limits them from using it constantly, but encourages them to use it as much as they can.
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1857063:date=Jun 28 2011, 11:42 PM:name=Heyman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Heyman @ Jun 28 2011, 11:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1857063"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I thought this was <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=113847" target="_blank">my thread</a> for a second. Unfair usage of the signature word!

Oh well.

Anyways... blink spam reduction could go a long way towards balancing this (admittedly unfinished) game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

haha, i've seen that post. must have been my inspiration for my word choice.

i think the timer is the best solution currently, not sure about a full 1/2 second when quick blinks mean life or death against a bunch of shotties. possibly a progressive scale? with a curve something like x^2. so that when blinks are <= a reasonable amount the increased delay is negligible, but as blinks become >> a reasonable amount the delay also becomes >> normal.

Math speak translation "<=" means "less than or equal to. ">>" means much greater than
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Fades can take damage while blinking, problem solved. I know this was the NS1 solution, but I think its one that actually translates well into NS2. It would also encourage fades to use air control while blinking to dodge bullets, rather than going in straight lines.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1857173:date=Jun 29 2011, 07:06 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Jun 29 2011, 07:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1857173"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fades can take damage while blinking, problem solved. I know this was the NS1 solution, but I think its one that actually translates well into NS2. It would also encourage fades to use air control while blinking to dodge bullets, rather than going in straight lines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I wouldn't mind this so much, but current fade still moves pretty slow compared to ns1 fade. The aliens still lack movement, they must be more agile! they must bring back skill based movement aliens must have. whatever they added wasn't the "complete" package, much of the movement code is missing.