Marines are overpowered against skulks

Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
I just want to say that marines are so overpowered against skulks, Lag,server lag,low fps, bad hit boxes for marines what ever it is, i played yesterday a game and wanted to uninstall NS2 and wait till its finished, it is frustrating that marines can snipe you with rifles, pistols or SG u while u jump around the marine and hope it finally will register your bite.
Sad.

Comments

• swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2011
    I have often taken 3-4 marines down without going back for a heal. Yeah sometimes the game lags, UWE are aware of this. If the game is lagging alot, try another server. The bite hit reg have become much better in the latest builds. Try to use the walls and cielings instead of the ground when you engage.
  • xVisionsxVisions Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68021Members
    1.Don't Run on the ground
    2.Don't Charge at a shotgun
    3.Leap/bite/bite combo is deadly.
    4. Sometimes holding the shift key(silent walk) will help you land a second bite because your not moving as fast running past the target
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    1. Ambushing marines rather than charge them
    - Attack from walls/ceiling/underneath catwalks. If you surprise a marine you can generally get 1-2 hits before they can react
    2. Use leap to close distances fast
    - Leap is very effective at closing distances with marines, allowing you to quickly attack.
    3. Use alien vision
    - Alien vision is highly effective for skulks because of the view obstruction from the skulk bite animation. Its much easier to distinguish a brightly colored marine outline with alien vision.
  • Enhance89Enhance89 Join Date: 2009-11-04 Member: 69261Members
    edited June 2011
    Chalk it up to needing to practice and learn the ropes, OP. I was never a good skulk in NS1 yet some people were pretty good at it. As of right now I'd even go far enough to say that skulks and marines are pretty much dead equal. Marines have the advantage of weapons and distance, but a good skulk never rushes in point blank. A good skulk hides in the nooks and crannies of the map and ambushes their targets.

You just have to keep practicing and finding the best places to ambush.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Its also good charlie has recognized that skulks are larger and slower in ns2, so the whole ambushing in a nook technique might even improve soon. (skulks eyes SHOULD NOT glow...)

But yea I generally disagree with OP. In fact melee is easier than shooting with slow fps
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    theoretically yes. but not currently. the lags dont hurt me so much when im marine than as alien. at the moment playing alien is more difficult. "aim" has everyone to some degree (enough for using shotgun, flame thrower at least)
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
    I am a good skulk and know how to play it, play ns1 since 1. version.
    At least they should make it faster or smaller then.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    edited June 2011
    Skulks should have an upgrade path that allows you to choose. You would have 2 alternate types of skulks which have separate upgrades.

For example:

................Skulk
    .............. /........\
    .........Fast &........Slow
    .........Small.........& large
    ........./......................\
    Celerity &............ Carapace &
    Adrenaline...........Health Regen

Each of the types of skulks you can be would have a passive (Or 2). Like 'Increased Health/armour, faster'

A bit like that. Kind of like in NS1 where you could choose 1 upgrade from each of the areas (1 area would have adrenaline, celerity and another (I think), one would have Focus and 2 others) from what I remember.

Edit: Made the diagram what I wanted it to look like
  • xVisionsxVisions Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68021Members
    Adjusting the model size might make a little difference, they are bit big.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1856125:date=Jun 24 2011, 07:12 PM:name=xVisions)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xVisions @ Jun 24 2011, 07:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1856125"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Adjusting the model size might make a little difference, they are bit big.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yes, I totally agree. I remember many have pointed this out long time ago, but the issue never gotten any serious attention from the developers.
    but we also have remember how slow aliens move compared to ns1 aliens, though skulks bigger size sure can't help the problem any better i'm sure.
  • 1stToast1stToast Join Date: 2007-12-02 Member: 63067Members
    It should be, the bigger the skulk the heavier the damage. I have been able to kill single marines from the side and back if I get one or two good bites. If that doesn’t kill him then all he has to do is jump around and shoot. Under those conditions the marines have the advantage. One or two skulks are in big trouble against two marines working together. If the marines set up a defense that has long halls or open spaces the skulks are at a big disadvantage even with leap. Once I jumped into a group of four marines welding a power node and killed three before getting killed. The forth marine was the only one that got a shot off. They are easy to kill when they’re not shooting at you.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    and here.... we.....

go
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1856140:date=Jun 24 2011, 01:24 PM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Jun 24 2011, 01:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1856140"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yes, I totally agree. I remember many have pointed this out long time ago, <u>but the issue never gotten any serious attention from the developers.</u>
    but we also have remember how slow aliens move compared to ns1 aliens, though skulks bigger size sure can't help the problem any better i'm sure.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

just like the thread about their silly non threatening non NS1 alien eyes. they said they will not change it. but it actually<u><b> effects gameplay</b></u> if i can spot bright yellow skulk eyes in a dark corner.
    idk.. i think they are focusing alot on gameplay / balance recently, which would normally be a good thing except for the fact that the endgame pieces / all of the features are not in just yet.. making most of the threads in this forum pure speculation... just like the balancing adjustments being made per patch. (even my complaints about size, speed, and eyes of the skulk are included)
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump to clear bot off front page