Fade: Smoke trails while in the ether

rhezrhez Join Date: 2005-05-14 Member: 51576Members, Constellation
First off I love the new fade blink!

I feel a major drawback, however, is that it will become far too frustrating and disorientating for marines if they are constantly dying without clues as to which way to face while in combat with fades. Getting killed multiple times by a skilled fade without landing a single shot on him will be no fun!

Therefore I propose smoke trails, similar to the awesome looking smoke particles you see when a fade blinks. This would give the marines a chance to quickly spot which way the trail of smoke was heading and spin in that direction. It would still take pretty fast reflexes and wouldn't nerf the fade too much IMO.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• SwampRatSwampRat Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13369Members
    Rather than very long trails, why not just have a short bit, so the initial particles sort of blow slightly in the initial direction of travel by the fade? Sort of subtle but something there
  • xVisionsxVisions Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68021Members
    I think its fine as it is, takes skill to take a fade out solo. Wouldn't want it to be too easy
  • SgtHydraSgtHydra Join Date: 2007-11-29 Member: 63046Members
    No.

As annoying as fades are, they really do rely on the invisibility that blink provides to get out of tough jams.

They're a hit and run attacker, able to take punishment long enough to destory a few buildings or a small squad of marines and then disappear in a flash to go heal at a hive somewhere.

Lather, rinse, repeat. That's Fade gameplay.

You are never supposed to be able to track their movements, as that takes the surprise out of it.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited June 2011
    Maybe only have a slight... forward <b>vortex</b> trail effect to a fade that has just entered blink-ether (the start of the blink - the blink-out effect); and a <i>reverse</i>-<b>vortex</b> for a fade coming out of blink-ether (the end of the blink - the blink-in effect). The vortex will serve to add a little bit of initial (and end) directionality to the blink effect; but since fades can move around considerably in the ether and not simply in a straight line, it will only serve to give marines a <b>general direction</b> (as to where the fade will go, and where it came from), but <b>not</b> allow them to track the fade completely. Only short, straight-line blinks will be more trackable. It'll also bring to mind the idea of '<b>warping</b>'.

I wish I had the tools and know-how to mock this up...

<u>Basically</u>: <b>no smoke trails, just change the blink-out and blink-in effects to imply an initial and end direction</b> <i>(and a visual effect that would work well with the existing smoke for this purpose would be a 'vortex' or a 'warping' effect)</i>.
  • rhezrhez Join Date: 2005-05-14 Member: 51576Members, Constellation
    That seems a good idea. I suggested this because in NS1 a skilled fade could dominate opponents without the added advantage of total invisibility while in combat, and I hate hearing people whine in game constantly.
  • Taxen0Taxen0 Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73357Members
    with the upcoming changes the fade will be all about the element of surprise, combined with short burst damage.
    taking away, or limiting the ability to surprise marines seems a bit harsh.
  • GreatOmnipotentDictatorGreatOmnipotentDictator Join Date: 2011-06-09 Member: 103473Members
    I personally agree with Harimau. Adding in a small hint as to the direction of travel during blink would add to the game, with marines trying to predict exactly where the fade would appear, and fades attempting to trick the marines with non-linear blinks.
    edited June 2011
    an "enter" / "exit" effect might be OK, but it would look silly if you spam the blink button.
  • endlesschangeendlesschange Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105800Members
    This would be cool for a mod or maybe even in the stock game but idk if there really going to focus on little effects like that right now. But would be cool of the air like had distortion in it or something. So u see like fuzzy air where he goss during blink. Very hard to see but might help you know where he will blink out at.
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1855328:date=Jun 22 2011, 07:40 PM:name=Taxen0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Taxen0 @ Jun 22 2011, 07:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1855328"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->an "enter" / "exit" effect might be OK, but it would look silly if you spam the blink button.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    First, why would you do that?
    Second, why? I think it would look fine.

<!--quoteo(post=1855353:date=Jun 22 2011, 09:27 PM:name=endlesschange)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (endlesschange @ Jun 22 2011, 09:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1855353"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This would be cool for a mod or maybe even in the stock game but idk if there really going to focus on little effects like that right now. But would be cool of the air like had distortion in it or something. So u see like fuzzy air where he goss during blink. Very hard to see but might help you know where he will blink out at.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    My idea is the exact opposite to this... you won't know where exactly a fade will blink in at, but you'll at least have some general direction based on what direction his blink-out effect was pointing (and it would be reasonable to see - not flashing neon-sign obvious, but still not unreasonable). Plus I don't think an effect that is very difficult to see is worthwhile...
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I find spamming Blink to be exceptionally efficient, and effective at avoiding damage. Sentries have to wait 1 second every time they lose their target before they can hit you again.
  • ChopsChops UW Technical Artist (and Store Guy) Join Date: 2009-08-06 Member: 68373Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Pistachionauts
    This is actually something Charlie wants to try out. Look for this possibly in the next patch.
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1855608:date=Jun 23 2011, 11:24 AM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Jun 23 2011, 11:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1855608"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I find spamming Blink to be exceptionally efficient, and effective at avoiding damage. Sentries have to wait 1 second every time they lose their target before they can hit you again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    True... but then it's players like you that my suggestion is for... or rather, against. Short, linear blinks will be far easier to track.

<!--quoteo(post=1855615:date=Jun 23 2011, 11:37 AM:name=Chops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chops @ Jun 23 2011, 11:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1855615"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is actually something Charlie wants to try out. Look for this possibly in the next patch.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Smoke trails or a directional blink effect?
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    Weren't there plans for scanner sweep to make blinking fades visible?
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1855615:date=Jun 23 2011, 03:37 AM:name=Chops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chops @ Jun 23 2011, 03:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1855615"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is actually something Charlie wants to try out. Look for this possibly in the next patch.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

awesome awesome awesome

i've always thought there should be some subtle indication of the general area fades teleport to in order to make combat against them more intuitive and skill-based
    if you pretty much just spam blink every other shot will "miss" you, but it takes almost no energy (tho you don't regen much either). and the blink is only about 1m so the direction wont help much.
    the directional effect can be cool and I'm all for trying it, but if its too large or noticeable it might look funny in a blink spam.
    edited July 2011
    Hmm, kinda OT, but: it's been brought up before, maybe blink needs an activation cost (additionally)? If blink spam is a serious issue, anyway.
    I would hope that the effect would not be too large or noticeable (or, especially, persisting) - but always easily distinguishable.
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1857754:date=Jul 3 2011, 03:59 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jul 3 2011, 03:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1857754"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hmm, kinda OT, but: it's been brought up before, maybe blink needs an activation cost (additionally)? If blink spam is a serious issue, anyway.
    I would hope that the effect would not be too large or noticeable (or, especially, persisting) - but always easily distinguishable.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think an activation cost is in order. The blink spam can get pretty ridiculous. Plus with the double tap "quick blink", a fade player will be fine.

However instead of a smoke trail, I think it would be both more visually pleasing and easier to spot if the fade left a visual imprint. Similar to the whats seen in the <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0m28yz6kmg" target="_blank">WH40k: DoW2 trailer </a> (starts at 1:15 mark). The visual imprint could trail off in the direction the fade went to.
  • SrCumferenceSrCumference Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3740Members
    What I visualize is similar to Zeratul's blink in SC2. Especially in the cinematic, but also in game. Perhaps not quite as dramatic, but a more subtle version I think would be pretty cool.
    <!--quoteo(post=1858127:date=Jul 5 2011, 11:49 PM:name=OutlawDr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OutlawDr @ Jul 5 2011, 11:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858127"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think an activation cost is in order. The blink spam can get pretty ridiculous. Plus with the double tap "quick blink", a fade player will be fine.

However instead of a smoke trail, I think it would be both more visually pleasing and easier to spot if the fade left a visual imprint. Similar to the whats seen in the <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0m28yz6kmg" target="_blank">WH40k: DoW2 trailer </a> (starts at 1:15 mark). The visual imprint could trail off in the direction the fade went to.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Are you proposing basically the same thing I am, then? Not a trail of any sort, but instead, a modified blink-out effect that implies directionality. I was going with a vortex-looking effect, but a visual imprint would achieve similar results.