Skulk nerf leap at second hive

SkugganSkuggan Join Date: 2010-03-19 Member: 71017Members
edited June 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">One single thread for this</div>I my self think that the balance lmg marine vs skulk are fine.

I have never seen this early skulk domination that Charlie talks about.

So what do other people think? Should the devs reject this change for build

Edit*

This is not a trollpost. The change im refering to are the one in this link:
<a href="https://docs.google.com/document/d/139ySUrBsO0m0Z4ilq0YsDEHJLQhBa6RrIjJIsckL2kE/edit?hl=en&authkey=CLCo8Z0J" target="_blank">https://docs.google.com/document/d/139ySUrB...uthkey=CLCo8Z0J</a>

"- Skulks are dominating pretty hard-core and I think it’s because of Leap. Moved Leap to TwoHive research on the Shift."

Comments

• m3liorm3lior Join Date: 2011-06-07 Member: 103181Members
    Skulks are incredibly strong, and are stronger than marines with the lmg. This is a good change, and a step in the right direction. The next thing, I guess would be to give Marines optional upgrades comparable to frenzy and swarm (incendiary ammo clips for 1-2 res each?)
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    If marines keep sprint at tier 1 while skulks lose leap, that would be pretty messed up. Marines should not be able to just run away from fights they're losing.
    edited June 2011
    I think the difference here is that marine sprint has a far less combat utility than the skulk leap. Also, getting a 2nd hive is not difficult whatsoever.
  • SkugganSkuggan Join Date: 2010-03-19 Member: 71017Members
    Sprint makes the game faster wich is good. The same goes with the leap.

Even though the skulk has leap you can hit it before it comes close so when its close it does not have alot of HP. Ten bullets out of fifty to kill it?

What makes the game slower is non bunnyhopping skulks and having to reserch leap everytime you die.
  • SmasherSmasher Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43732Members
    Now with the shotty era I really think the skulk needs his leap as it is, removing it would be horrible:P
    Yes, LMGs have further range than skulk bite. That is why skulks can climb on ceilings, through vents, move silently, and detect enemies when they are close.

If you are concerned about the speed of the game, than a better request would be to increase the base movement speed.
  • WiltdogWiltdog Join Date: 2011-05-26 Member: 100980Members
    edited June 2011
    Horrible idea. Marines and skulks are both pretty strong and balanced in the beginning. Fix the Lmg framerate loss while firing, add weapons that can be picked up, and its fine. There already are cheaper shotguns. Now aliens have to go crag hive first, and get armor upgrades just to survive long enough to reach a marine 1v1 in a hallway.
  • ErriiieeeeErriiieeee Join Date: 2011-05-12 Member: 98431Members
    If Skulks get a nerf to leap then shotguns should go back up to 25 res
  • lazylazy Join Date: 2005-07-23 Member: 56631Members
    Give skulks bhop from the start, and a full leap only after second hive.
  • mokkatmokkat Join Date: 2009-08-30 Member: 68652Members
    personally Id like a little more speed on skulks (to catch marines) and no starting leap, so the start of games would be more about sneaky and suspenseful "Aliens" combat
    If we need a replacement Ill settle on increased overall movement speed + FULL leap for second hive.
    Full leap meaning extra distance and I can leap mid air. A combination of Lazy and Mokkat's ideas :)
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Just make 1-hive (or pre-upgrade) skulk leap use 75%+ adrenaline. Then you can only use it once in a long while.

This makes it a good tactical option that can't overwhelm the marines.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    christ, this garbage never ends. you idiots got your fade nerf AND inf shotgun spawns. NOW you want to nerf the lowest alien attacker on top of this? LOL this has to be a trollface post..
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    Just played a few rounds. On marines I went 40-10 with the shotgun taking out many skulks easily. As aliens I struggled to keep a 1:1 ratio as a skulk. I feel like the skulks base speed needs to be increase to make it harder for marines to back away and dodge.

I think taking away leap will be a big mistake because it's pretty crucial at the moment. Even with it, it's hard to jump away from a group of marines even when you're keeping an eye out.
    Noticed today (10 minutes ago) on the Progress Tracker: Accepted: Make leap research and buyable (addresses early Skulk dominance) (discuss) Gameplay task Make leap research and buyable (addresses early Skulk dominance) transitioned from Delivered to Accepted

*Sigh*

Well, sad day for skulks indeed.
  • SnazzSnazz Join Date: 2007-09-30 Member: 62482Members
    In my experiences of playing as and against skulks in 179 they seem weak and easy to kill, especially with the powerful yet cheap shotguns.

I don't understand where the impression that they are 'strong' or 'dominating' is coming from.
  • pkmnhmstrpkmnhmstr Join Date: 2011-06-17 Member: 105025Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1853932:date=Jun 17 2011, 11:11 AM:name=m3lior)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (m3lior @ Jun 17 2011, 11:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1853932"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, LMGs have further range than skulk bite. That is why skulks can climb on ceilings, through vents, move silently, and detect enemies when they are close.

If you are concerned about the speed of the game, than a better request would be to increase the base movement speed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Are you suggesting that early game should be all about stealth gameplay from the alien side? Sounds very passive and slow paced to me.

If you remove leap there will be an early game miss balance since skulks won't have anything to charge marines with where in NS 1 they'd have bunny hopping available from hive 1.

Sure you can scale walls and ceilings but how are you gonna defend your hive if you don't have the speed to attack a marine who has already established a covered position?
  • jkflipflopjkflipflop Join Date: 2010-10-13 Member: 74423Members
    Terrible move. Skulk needs his leap.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1854060:date=Jun 18 2011, 12:13 AM:name=pkmnhmstr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pkmnhmstr @ Jun 18 2011, 12:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1854060"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you suggesting that early game should be all about stealth gameplay from the alien side? Sounds very passive and slow paced to me.

If you remove leap there will be an early game miss balance since skulks won't have anything to charge marines with where in NS 1 they'd have bunny hopping available from hive 1.

Sure you can scale walls and ceilings but how are you gonna defend your hive if you don't have the speed to attack a marine who has already established a covered position?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

which is why this "fix" won't do anything but hurt aliens while this change wasn't good to begin with.

the game lacks skill based movement, and charlie needs to realize this some time, and at least add that to the alien race.
    the aliens need to be more agile than they are now, their movement shouldn't feel sluggish and restricted.

the people who complained about skulk leap usually same people who demand being able to kill fade's 1v1, because if they can kill fade 1v1, its balanced in their eyes.
    pretty scary thinking if you ask me.

I seriously hope corrects alien movement to be as agile as ns1 aliens.
    <!--quoteo(post=1854040:date=Jun 17 2011, 04:53 PM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Jun 17 2011, 04:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1854040"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just played a few rounds. On marines I went 40-10 with the shotgun taking out many skulks easily. As aliens I struggled to keep a 1:1 ratio as a skulk. I feel like the skulks base speed needs to be increase to make it harder for marines to back away and dodge.

I think taking away leap will be a big mistake because it's pretty crucial at the moment. Even with it, it's hard to jump away from a group of marines even when you're keeping an eye out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why are you even talking about shotguns? By the time Marines have shotguns, the Aliens should have a second hive. The nerf should apply to the early game, where the skulk advantage is ridiculous. If you can't do better than a 1:1 ratio as a skulk when the Marines just have LMGs, than it sounds more of a personal issue than a balance problem.

<!--quoteo(post=1854060:date=Jun 17 2011, 06:13 PM:name=pkmnhmstr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pkmnhmstr @ Jun 17 2011, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1854060"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you suggesting that early game should be all about stealth gameplay from the alien side? Sounds very passive and slow paced to me.

Sure you can scale walls and ceilings but how are you gonna defend your hive if you don't have the speed to attack a marine who has already established a covered position?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What I'm suggesting is that when you play as a skulk, you don't just run straight down a long hallway when Marines are at the other end shooting at you. Try to play like Marines have ranged weapons, and what you have is teeth. Use your brain.

On the forums, all I see are people who are raging about Aliens getting nerfs. This would be fine, except every time that I actually play the game as a Marine, we get destroyed. It happens even when you can tell that our team is far more coordinated and skilled than the other team. Skulks, as they are right now, dominate Marines early on (vs. LMG's, which is what is being addressed. Are you guys that bad at Aliens? Hell, I know that I'm a mediocre Alien player, and I absolutely dominate against Marines even in 1v2 situations (If they have LMGs).

I think that a base speed increase for skulks (Not anything mind blowing, maybe 15%) would be a good idea, and I'd love to see it implemented, IF Marines get a researchable buff to the LMG. An interesting idea would be incendiary or armor piercing ammo.
    Buying an armory and upgrading to shotguns takes around 1-2 minutes from the start of the game. So yes, marines do have shotguns against skulks very early in the game.
    Even still, it's not reasonable to complain that skulks die to shotguns.

I just finished playing a game where I was skulk for the majority of it, and for the heck of it I decided to play the ENTIRE game without leap. I easily maintained a 1:1 KDR, well after the other team had flamethrowers, etc.
  • SatanLovesYOuSatanLovesYOu Join Date: 2004-05-03 Member: 28410Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1854067:date=Jun 17 2011, 06:07 PM:name=m3lior)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (m3lior @ Jun 17 2011, 06:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1854067"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What I'm suggesting is that when you play as a skulk, you don't just run straight down a long hallway when Marines are at the other end shooting at you. Try to play like Marines have ranged weapons, and what you have is teeth. Use your brain.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1

Come to think of it....Couldn't marines instantly drop SGs as soon as the armory was built(NS1), and leap was a hive 2 skill??
  • ErriiieeeeErriiieeee Join Date: 2011-05-12 Member: 98431Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Come to think of it....Couldn't marines instantly drop SGs as soon as the armory was built(NS1), and leap was a hive 2 skill??<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah that was possible, I think only GL's and HMG's required research. Though on the flip side, Aliens didn't need two hives to Fade or go Onos
    And on the other flip side, this isn't NS1.
  • TheGivingTreeTheGivingTree Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12070Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1854067:date=Jun 17 2011, 08:07 PM:name=m3lior)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (m3lior @ Jun 17 2011, 08:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1854067"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What I'm suggesting is that when you play as a skulk, you don't just run straight down a long hallway when Marines are at the other end shooting at you. Try to play like Marines have ranged weapons, and what you have is teeth. Use your brain.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wow imagine that.. players actually using the units properly, hiding, scaling walls, and ambushing, kind of the entire point of the skulks early game and having wall walk. I remember this being one of the bright spots in NS1, having to peek and check EVERY corner and tops of the door ways to avoid and ambush. Now its all, charging straight and ahead and leaping right into a pack of marines.. so long for the sense of tension and atmosphere, just became one massive frag fest killing the immersion.
  • NarcilNarcil Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41426Members
    Remove starting leap, put bhop back in.

There you go, the skulk can now close the gap at the start without having a super leap, and when the 2nd hive goes up the skulks get a boost with leap.
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1854105:date=Jun 17 2011, 10:24 PM:name=Narcil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Narcil @ Jun 17 2011, 10:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1854105"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Remove starting leap, put bhop back in.

There you go, the skulk can now close the gap at the start without having a super leap, and when the 2nd hive goes up the skulks get a boost with leap.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not everyone wants to jump around the map looking like a retard just to gain a speed boost. The starting leap is key for skulks mobility. We already have everyone in the entire game jumping during combat, the last thing we need is everyone jumping all the time as a necessity for travel too!

In combination with ambushing, the leap provides an excellent escape from surprise doubles and such. Its more than just a tool for leaping straight down a hallway into a marines face. The marines require range to do most of their killing, the skulks require very close combat to do theirs. There HAS to be a way for skulks to close the gap , and as I already mentioned zig zagging down a hallway jumping up and down is not an answer to this problem.
  • xVisionsxVisions Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68021Members
    edited June 2011
    Leap is extremely powerful for skilled players. Ive been paying close attention to this ability the last few games and I wouldn't say its overpowered but it definitely feels frustrating as a marine due to the fact there is no skilled counter. I mean course you could say.. oh shotguns.. but if you miss the first shot (likely) your already half dead and probably will die especially if you have a rifle. I don't know what the solution to this issue is at this point... maybe a melee swing to knock skulks away but even this could go wrong if its too easy to pull off. It might be that leap jumps way too far, i would play with this a bit before i change anything else for balancing this issue.

A bigger problem if you have a rifle, this weapon is becoming weaker and weaker every patch. It doesn't put out nearly the dps as the shotgun at any range and another thing is that your fighting skulks/fades that close the gap on you instantly(making shotgun always the better choice). If you are really far away the pistol kills any target way faster with way better accuracy, rifle aint doing nothing to nobody at distance. It better get some serious marine side upgrade capabilities somewhere later in the game, it needs a niche.
  • mokkatmokkat Join Date: 2009-08-30 Member: 68652Members
    edited June 2011
    Actually, I would really like it if skulks got that speed boost and the leap evolution came later. NS2 has gone towards slower player movement speed in general, and while I like that, I don't necessarily think its right for skulks. They are fragile and don't even run as fast as a dog would be able to - meanwhile ranged weapon aiming and shooting has not changed since HL days, and a lot of players are great at picking off skulks instantly, even when they ambush.
    Also, the skulk doesn't feel like an "alien" alien at the moment, its a bit too slow for that.