Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 179

Comments

• kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    Performance ++++ yay nice work!

Still no air control for aliens??
  • MOOtantMOOtant Join Date: 2010-06-25 Member: 72158Members
    edited June 2011
    Performance is getting decent. 10 vs 10 with some infestation and structures => 10 ticks/s.

Bigger maps like summit clearly need alien use on hives like in NS1. Chance of getting any of your teammates to hive that is being attacked is marginal.

Default bind for minimap is M which doesn't fit WASD scheme at all. As far as I remember it was C in NS1 (I have it set to C). Why is it important? I need to know that all my teammates can figure out what area I'm talking about within 5 seconds. Not just those that bound stuff on their own.
    <u><b>Flayra:</b> Fixed for new installs, although you'll have to manually rebind it.</u>

Gorge bilebomb is effective but you either have gorges who don't equip it or teammates who don't cover bilebomb gorge. For instance there was lerk firing spikes at buildings: there were around 5-10 sentries near and a single marine behind. I go in, take 2-3 down with bilebomb and die like an idiot because lerk kept firing spikes at turrets and ignored marine even though his damage/s is 10-20x lower than mine.
    I'm not sure if bilebomb should collide with aliens.

50% of summit is disorienting if navigating without minimap. At the start of the game every room is empty so it's easier to spot differences. 20 minutes into the round everything is spammed with sentries, armories, marines and whatever rines can fit in there. It all starts to look like one big blob of metal/rocks.

Aliens get bugged when it comes to respawning. You can wait forever and you won't be able to respawn. There's also disorienting mix of having to click to spawn and being in spectator mode while waiting. Going to ready room seems to reset spawning to working state.

Commander mode tends to get stuck - unit is selected, order given but nothing happens. After selecting another unit and then the original one you can order what you wanted.

Spectator mode jerks around even in chase cam mode. Easiest to notice on fades. It also fails prediction of collision of freelook spectator with ground/structures.
    <u><b>Flayra:</b> Fixed in next patch.</u>

Aliens can't evolve into lifeforms when "not on ground". Instead of telling me how I'm 1cm above the ground it should find a clear spot and evolve in there. Sounds like not such a big problem but with sticky movement, low FPS, hives filled with stuff and grenades flying around it matters a lot.

Commander name(s) should be at top left part of the screen. It should flash red for ~10 s if commander leaves hive/chair. Resource tower count could be put there too or with total team res on scoreboard.

Round timer would be nice.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2011
    Had a bad bug on one server with 179. Marines could build an IP, but not an armory. We dropped 3 armories and none of the 5 marines could get their build button to work on it. GG Restarting the game didn't fix the problem. It's a server issue.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    edited June 2011
    Love build 179 but only if I'm playing Aliens. Have almost no problems as Alien but when I play Marines, I start to lag (every goes extremely slow) when an alien starts attacking me?

Also, drifters seem to get stuck behind stuff alot.
  • BlasphemyBlasphemy Join Date: 2008-05-02 Member: 64201Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    edited June 2011
    Bile bombs don't seem to hurt arcs for some reason. I don't know if this is intentional, or if it is a bug. I thought since I had bile bomb, I would have been able to attempt to protect my group of hydras from getting annihilated, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I still get steamrolled. Also, do/did bile bombs ever eat away marine armor in NS1? And if so, does it do the same in NS2?

<u><b>Flayra:</b> Bile bombs damage ARCs in the next patch. Not sure what to do about armor.</u>
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Loving Drifters/MACs building from last order when I exit Hive/Comm Station. It makes it easy for me to hop in and out to help build ^^
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1853374:date=Jun 15 2011, 09:58 PM:name=Blasphemy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blasphemy @ Jun 15 2011, 09:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1853374"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bile bombs don't seem to hurt arcs for some reason. I don't know if this is intentional, or if it is a bug. I thought since I had bile bomb, I would have been able to attempt to protect my group of hydras from getting annihilated, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I still get steamrolled. Also, do/did bile bombs ever eat away marine armor in NS1? And if so, does it do the same in NS2?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It should hurt ARCs, at least it did to seige in NS1.
    Also, bile did not do anything to marine armor in NS1.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Please put a limit to the amount of turrets in a certain area. Laggy turret walls have been the name of the recent patches.

Also a very nice marine commander was placing turrets outside the map at the north entrance of surface access. And using pathing exploits to put arcs inside rockfaces near crossroads.

Judging from the current gameplay, I don't think fade armor needed to be nerfed.
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Played a couple games. Seemed to be the standard for both teams to have plenty of team res, but p-res seemed like it was coming in at the right pace. As marines turtling we were strapped, but then on the next round when we had most of the map as aliens and were hammering on marines, we had enough but not too much.

team-res seemed to skyrocket for both sides though, had around 400 t-res and nothing to spend it on except relocations every time aliens started to take out the base.

maybe we can make the comm-droppable weapons cost t-res but be more expensive, like double the cost of p-res. not sure how to handle on aliens side. it doesn't seem as much of a problem since crags and whips are always useful.
  • mokkatmokkat Join Date: 2009-08-30 Member: 68652Members
    edited June 2011
    well, balancing seem nice, don't know about the rest. Can 179 really make such a dif.....

*enter NS2, join server - 20 players Summit - bases, turrets, crags and hydras all over the place - play for 1.5 hour, tick rate averages 15 and <i>never </i>drops below 10 - smoothest game I played for a while*

holy s...
  • hartrafthartraft Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72468Members
    woah!

is anyone else's update size 3 gig?
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I had quite a bit of fun tonight with this for the first time! It felt like playing ns again, but with amazing graphics, which is quite high praise. :)

Having a well performing server makes an incredible difference.
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Definite performance improvement server wise, thank you!
  • BoBiNoUBoBiNoU Join Date: 2007-12-27 Member: 63274Members
    Improvement in performance is very nice but balance is still broken though.

It feels like the first releases of NS1, marines have to rush before 2nd hive is up or game is lost.
    2 Fades + 1 gorge are almost impossible to beat.

We need the weapon drop on death asap now.
    It is very frustrating to save for a good weapon and to get snipped by a fade in the next 10 sec.
  • GrapeVineGrapeVine Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58803Members
    Nice, massive patch and seems like most people have good feedback about it, I'll make sure to try it out and maybe start playing regularly again if it is good enough.
  • revbassrevbass Join Date: 2011-06-09 Member: 103386Members
    Can't play anymore, when I join a server I end up with a black screen and all I can do is ctrl alt del.
  • KisleKisle Join Date: 2006-12-25 Member: 59229Members
    Great patch! Performance is great now.

I dont know if this is since this patch but the alienview doesnt seem to work like before
    i cant really recognize marine players when they are far away.
    and the bile bomb looks super ugly.

fade blink is super awesome now.
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    Well, unfortunately I've barred myself from playing any games until my exams are over, but out of interest, I looked at the stats for this build, balance has improved about 30% of game wins are Marines now, improvement over the last build which was around 19%. Still biased in favor of Aliens but making good progress.

Glad they released another well-needed patch, but really holding out on 180 being a good'n, occlusion culling optimization will hopefully relieve some CPU strain and allow me to record HD videos on my i5.
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Had a few enjoyable games in a long time mainly due to the server perf remaining great (30 solid ticks at 16 players) all game, thanks UWE team.
  • revbassrevbass Join Date: 2011-06-09 Member: 103386Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1853428:date=Jun 16 2011, 10:20 AM:name=GrapeVine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GrapeVine @ Jun 16 2011, 10:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1853428"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nice, massive patch and seems like most people have good feedback about it, I'll make sure to try it out and maybe start playing regularly again if it is good enough.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Verified cache integrity > works now.

Game keeps getting better and better!

Already found a couple of bugs to report..
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I really love the Gorges Bilbombing Marines!
    Had 3 gorges Bilbombing me :-) couldn't shoot because i was ROFL!
  • CursedCursed Join Date: 2007-04-14 Member: 60632Members
    edited June 2011
    Just wow

Gameclient patching

Thought they removed this from the existence

But no

This is my nightmare. Nightmare I tell you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit: broke the game. Creating or joining games is now history. Watching and listening the menu music is the present.
    ps. Why's the forum time Chico-Chico-islands time zone!!
  • SteelBladeSteelBlade Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33240Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Amazing patch. Had some great games already and seem's a bit more balanced already. Love it!
    Oh and new fade blink is much better (being able to control yourself).

I'd like an option to NOT have forward momentum though until I press forward, can that be done?

So I don't move anywhere unless im doing so with my regular keybinds, but when I do move, its a lot faster?
  • BricksolidBricksolid Join Date: 2009-10-02 Member: 68929Members
    Anyone notice that you can walk on the sky in summit? Is there no tool for stopping wall climbing in the dev tools?
  • MotigMotig Join Date: 2008-10-23 Member: 65281Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1853521:date=Jun 16 2011, 03:58 PM:name=Bricksolid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bricksolid @ Jun 16 2011, 03:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1853521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyone notice that you can walk on the sky in summit? Is there no tool for stopping wall climbing in the dev tools?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not yet as far as I know.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    You could walk on the sky before this build.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Had some great games last night. It seemed very balanced and always felt the team I was on had a chance. Love bilebomb!
  • Delta1Delta1 Join Date: 2009-08-01 Member: 68326Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ABSOLUTELY LOVING IT

had a few massive games just now full 18 max and 24 max rounds
    Barely any lag, skulking is fun.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1853521:date=Jun 16 2011, 02:58 PM:name=Bricksolid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bricksolid @ Jun 16 2011, 02:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1853521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyone notice that you can walk on the sky in summit? Is there no tool for stopping wall climbing in the dev tools?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    in NS we had "tools" to make them go way from the skybox "trigger_hurt, trigger_push". In NS2 we have the hurt box of death (a trigger hurt) and we can use Tig's find (inverted faces on which you canae wallwalk, added to the CommanderInvisible group). Doesn't mean we need more clipbrush (Collission Geometry) types though :D