The Story behind NS2

Jason WhoreJason Whore Join Date: 2011-04-11 Member: 92514Members
<div class="IPBDescription">nah, not storymode !</div>I just wanted to discuss the story behind NS2..
like.. why the Aliens aren't the bad guys and stuff...
if there were a NS2 movie i'd imagine the marines in it being like "What is that, i've never seen something like that before ! Where are they? i'm scared. Have to survive. Why are they after us?" and totally not like "yo kill'em all those ######s are woth nothing. i hate them, they are evil, lets make propaganda shows"

like if the marines accidently started to mine on a planet were kahaar lived and then were surprised why they are being attacked.. the kahaar just were like "rrrrr, huh? wtf. our planet! not gona let them dig on our planet"
that you have to stick together with your team as marine really fits to that...
and cutie gorge also kinda supports that. i guess.

what do you think? maybe even the marines are the bad guys?

Comments

• subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    Just stick your finger in an ant-hill.
    Your finger are the marines and the anthill are the aliens who accidently (really?) came onboard the ship/station/planet the marines were in the form of bacteria.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2011
    I wonder if khaara got spaceships... i mean wth how do they spread to so many worlds / maps :P
  • ssjyodassjyoda Join Date: 2002-03-05 Member: 274Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2011
    Just go watch Aliens if you want a back story.

Gameplay > Story

why are people today more interested in watching a game and story than actually playing a game and having fun? I don't recall quake3 or CS having much of a story, just enjoy it.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2011
    Story and Gameplay are important.

Good Gameplay = Fun game
    Good Gameplay + Story(for ppl that like story) = Even better game
    Good Gameplay + Story(for ppl that dont like story) = still Fun game

You arent forced to read/listen/watch storys.

Ofc Good Story + Bad gameplay = bad game
    But Story isnt the job of the programmers, gameplay designers.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    There was a back story in the old manual iirc.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited June 2011
    <!--coloro:#00FFFF--><span style="color:#00FFFF"><!--/coloro--><i>In the not too distant future environmental destruction rendered most animal species extinct. Zoos became a multi trillion dollar industry as people scrambled to catch a glimpse of the final few animals. Unable to cope with insatiable demand, many zoos could not stop animal theft by criminal gangs. One industrialist called.....Susan [I'm not good at coming up with names] took a group of animals from her animal testing facility to the space station, in a bid to start an off world zoo to give the animals a safe existence, free from the greedy and selfish humans. Some said that Susan was mad, that her selection of animals was utterly random and unsuitable for space life. Juan, a gorilla; Sam, a dog; Gretchen, a seagull; Charles, a badger. These were the four creatures who boarded that ill fated space flight with their keeper Susan, the former industrialist turned inter galactic zoo keeper.</i><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • mokkatmokkat Join Date: 2009-08-30 Member: 68652Members
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/world/background/" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/world/background/</a>
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    I want to see some NS2 slash fiction.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1853007:date=Jun 15 2011, 11:31 AM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Jun 15 2011, 11:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1853007"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Story and Gameplay are important.

Good Gameplay = Fun game
    Good Gameplay + Story(for ppl that like story) = Even better game
    Good Gameplay + Story(for ppl that dont like story) = still Fun game

You arent forced to read/listen/watch storys.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This does not hold true for single player games. In single player games they can shove the story down your throat with an endless stream of unskippable cut scenes (bonus points for forcing you to rewatch cut scenes every time you die).
  • BarerRudeROCBarerRudeROC Join Date: 2010-10-01 Member: 74264Members
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1853020:date=Jun 15 2011, 06:09 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Jun 15 2011, 06:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1853020"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#00FFFF--><span style="color:#00FFFF"><!--/coloro--><i>Some said that Susan was mad, that her selection of animals was utterly random and unsuitable for space life. Juan, a gorilla; Sam, a dog; Gretchen, a seagull; Charles, a badger. These were the four creatures who boarded that ill fated space flight with their keeper Susan, the former industrialist turned inter galactic zoo keeper.</i><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1853020:date=Jun 15 2011, 06:09 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Jun 15 2011, 06:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1853020"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#00FFFF--><span style="color:#00FFFF"><!--/coloro--><i>Juan, a gorilla</i><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're my new hero.
  • Jason WhoreJason Whore Join Date: 2011-04-11 Member: 92514Members
    so the onos is a space-gorilla now?
    in NS1 he was a space-cow right?
    and a pig and a dog and a pterodactyl
    the gorge is no badger... more like a pig or... a baby hippo?
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Regarding the origins of the Kharaa, I remember Cory mention (when talking bout' Babblers) the bacteria likely evolved from the sea floor and began infecting sea creatures (then land creatures, later creatures of other worlds?). That's why most of the structures look aquatic and lifeforms look mammalian.
  • TravCarpTravCarp Join Date: 2010-06-04 Member: 71962Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    What are Babblers? I seen them on a crag I think?
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1853077:date=Jun 15 2011, 01:08 PM:name=TravCarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TravCarp @ Jun 15 2011, 01:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1853077"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What are Babblers? I seen them on a crag I think?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Babblers" target="_blank">Babblers <3</a>
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1853077:date=Jun 15 2011, 03:08 PM:name=TravCarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TravCarp @ Jun 15 2011, 03:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1853077"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What are Babblers? I seen them on a crag I think?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Babblers were essentially snarks from half-life 1 with a skulk skin and they had the appearance of retarded low-health skulks.

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WZzbQR_5_a4"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WZzbQR_5_a4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
  • TravCarpTravCarp Join Date: 2010-06-04 Member: 71962Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Haha sick, no more lone marine meleeing my hive to death while I try to tell my team to go defend it! *spawn babbler* GO GET EM!