Gorge self-heal suggestion

VicVic Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75106Members
I think many agree that gorge self healing in combat is a little bit OP. I like to be able to self-heal as a gorge though, so how about having the following:
holding crouch and pressing mouse 2 sets the gorge immobile (using the animation at 0:30 <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RjcZndmW8s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RjcZndmW8s</a> ) and heals only himself (tiny puffs of healspray particles rendered around the gorge, energy use and healing rate can stay the same). Maybe a half a second cooldown for movement after a "puff" of healspray, to prevent abusing it in combat.

Comments

• PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    I also think it's a little OP, but I'm sure most will also agree that there are enough abilities that cause inconvenient immobility for the Gorge (namely, Heal Spray infest and Hydra placement).

Simple solutions:

1) Make Heal Spray self-heal heal less health for the Gorge player.

2) Make self-heal trigger only when the Heal Spray cloud touches the Gorge, therefore requires the Gorge to either look down a bit or close to a wall.
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    wat

i didn't even know this was up for discussion/revision
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    To self-heal as a gorge, jsut drop a infestation patch, then stand on it.
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    edited June 2011
    Bring in the old idea that healspray (along with spit) slightly obscures the marine's sight (<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li6aRLrBzfw" target="_blank">similar to the mud-men attack in L4D2 - 0:50 mark</a>). Then you can reduce the damage healspray does, since its now more of a supporting weapon for other aliens to finish the marine off.

Though I still like the idea of crouching for self heal (or simply not moving...and maintain current heal spray damage)
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1852614:date=Jun 14 2011, 06:22 PM:name=OutlawDr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OutlawDr @ Jun 14 2011, 06:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852614"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bring in the old idea that healspray (along with spit) slightly obscures the marine's sight (<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li6aRLrBzfw" target="_blank">similar to the mud-men attack in L4D2 - 0:50 mark</a>). Then you can reduce the damage healspray does, since its now more of a supporting weapon for other aliens to finish the marine off.

Though I still like the idea of crouching for self heal (or simply not moving...and maintain current heal spray damage)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I... don't think you read the topic...

Anyway, I agree that self-heal is a teeny bit OP because it's both healing the Gorge and attacking Marines. Personally, I don't mind the idea of having the Gorge heal faster on infestation than other aliens (2x maybe?) gives the Gorge the ability to create an infestation nest to heal up on rather efficiently. Removing self-heal spray.

Still not sure about heal spray damaging Marines, I think if there is no self-heal from the spray, then Gorges wouldn't be so aggressive, which they can be at times - and that seems out of character for our pop-belly friend.
  • Jason WhoreJason Whore Join Date: 2011-04-11 Member: 92514Members
    edited June 2011
    I think this idea is great !
    then gorges only can heal if no marines are around (immobile)
    and it looks cute
    normal healing then does no selfheal anymore.
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1852927:date=Jun 15 2011, 04:55 AM:name=Zuriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zuriki @ Jun 15 2011, 04:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852927"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I... don't think you read the topic...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

how... so...?

Topic's premise is that selfheal is OP.
    OP suggested to hinder mobility to balance selfheal.
    I suggested to maybe have healspray obscure target visibility and lower healspray damage as an alternative.

The more I think about it, the more I like that I <b>can </b>heal myself while healing others and structures while on the move. The gameplay it creates is similar to TF2 doctor and Global Agenda medic. I agree that ability to damage as well is a little over the top. As it is right now Ive been able to take out two rifle marine at close range 1v2 with a gorge, which seems very wrong.
    If healspray does less damage (or no damage) and instead it acts as a support weapon by obscuring vision, then you can keep its mobile healing. 1v1 vs rifle marine gorges will have to be careful, but in a group gorges act as great support units..as they should be.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1852927:date=Jun 15 2011, 10:55 AM:name=Zuriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zuriki @ Jun 15 2011, 10:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852927"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Still not sure about heal spray damaging Marines, I think if there is no self-heal from the spray, then Gorges wouldn't be so aggressive, which they can be at times - and that seems out of character for our pop-belly friend.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I didnt know that gorges healed themself already, thought ppl just wanted it implemented.

Also, what is up with ppl suggesting impairing players? Slower movement, removed sight and so on. There is nothing I hate in games as much as flashbangs, so imagine if a gorge blinded ppl with its healspray. Wouldnt only be way op, but also plain annoying...
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1852973:date=Jun 15 2011, 08:46 AM:name=Feha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Feha @ Jun 15 2011, 08:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852973"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, what is up with ppl suggesting impairing players? Slower movement, removed sight and so on. There is nothing I hate in games as much as flashbangs, so imagine if a gorge blinded ppl with its healspray. Wouldnt only be way op, but also plain annoying...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You mean like the devs? Since they are the ones that originally suggested something like this for the NS2 gorge. Clearly other people are not as bothered by it as you are. Read the the Cerberi thread to find out more.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2011
    I don't find Gorges' self heal to be overpowered at all ATM. Shotguns shoot those poor pudgies down so quickly... If a lone marine with just a Rifle thinks a Gorge should be a free kill, he shall quickly learn otherwise. All Kharaas are born killers!
  • xVisionsxVisions Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68021Members
    edited June 2011
    The gorge healing ability has a HUGE impact on game balance. Killing the gorge is priority most of the time because it can heal others.

*Gorge with self heal*
    -Allows for more aggressive play style. Can attack marines with more success and frequency, giving it a more dynamic roll.
    -Can heal attacking aliens and heal themselves at the same time, making a alien push much more effective.(teamwork)
    -Can defend and heal structures better (team asset and defender)

*Gorge without self heal*
    -Becomes much less of a team asset and a weak class
    -Cannot push and heal teammates with real effectiveness, will die too quickly.
    -Becomes a poor defender of bases, gets hit with incoming fire/grenades etc.

My conclusion at this point is this. Self heal IS GOOD but it needs to be looked at closely.
    -Self heal should only heal small amounts of gorges health.
    -Upgrades will be the key to success when balancing gorge healing

-A upgrade when healing teammates also heals gorge for % of what he heals.
    (say one spray is 10 health, gorges self heal heals for 4, gorge will get 2 health EXTRA from healing a teammate with the same spray and get healed for 6)
    -This upgrade would allow gorge to be a great help to players and success of a team

-A separate upgrade similar to the one above, could do the same but for structures. Makes the gorge a excellent defender as long as he plays well and stays out of line of sight.

-I've always had this crazy idea of gorges being able to revive another alien, i know it sounds crazy but on a big cool down it would be pretty worthy upgrade but it should cost a hefty amount. Reviving a onos would cost 2 of these. Dying would not reset the cooldown.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    I like the increased Health regen on Infestation, but I'm pretty sure that's what the Crag upgrade Regeneration will do.

A retreating Gorge should be fearing for his life, so the ability to self-heal indiscriminately seems a bit too aggressive for him.

Not sure what I could suggest that doesn't sound ridiculous (like giving Hydra Spikes a life-leeching property that heals Gorges), however.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Both self-heal and heal spray damage together are op. It should be one or the other.
  • 1stToast1stToast Join Date: 2007-12-02 Member: 63067Members
    I played some games last night to test out the gorge’s ability. I played gorge a lot on NS. The self heal was what kept the gorge as a valid support player. Last night I found that it isn’t nearly effective as in NS. I don’t see how it could be considered OP. One on one with a marine LMG I was able to run away and save myself about 70% of the time. With a shottie 0%, stand and fight 0%, next to a craig with 2 LMGs and HS 0%. Unless the george has skulk, lerk, hydra or fade support in a fight its an easy kill.