Skulk jumping when against a railing

ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
<div class="IPBDescription">SUPER annoying.</div>Especially noticable in the starting hive room in the new map, when you spawn up on one of the railings. If you're on the ground against the railing as a skulk and you attempt to jump, you don't go anywhere. Super annoying if you're trying to jump over the railing. You have to move back a bit and THEN jump over the railing.

Minor quibble, but it got me teeth-gnashingly annoyed last night.

--Scythe--

Comments

• pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    I'm currently adding navigation aids to railings in that new map, also referred to as "clip-brushes" in hl1, which should help "differently advantaged" skulks to get over them and maybe fixes your issue aswell.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Ok, clipbrushes don't help at all.

This has something to do with the current skulk jump. You also don't jump when you stick to eggs/structures(?) or walls while on the floor.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    You can always just hold crouch while jumping, then you wont get sucked to the closest surface.
  • HanneslolHanneslol Join Date: 2011-03-21 Member: 87724Members
    Yeah, I don't really get all these posts about not being able to move as skulk because being stuck to things. Why don't you all just hold control and it's all ok?
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    What does holding control do?
    Does it turn the stickiness off?

A solution is specified but its magic is not clear.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1851819:date=Jun 11 2011, 06:39 PM:name=kingmob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kingmob @ Jun 11 2011, 06:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851819"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What does holding control do?
    Does it turn the stickiness off?

A solution is specified but its magic is not clear.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, holding crouch removes the stickiness.
  • BarerRudeROCBarerRudeROC Join Date: 2010-10-01 Member: 74264Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1851808:date=Jun 11 2011, 04:04 PM:name=Twiggeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twiggeh @ Jun 11 2011, 04:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851808"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can always just hold crouch while jumping, then you wont get sucked to the closest surface.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This always seems to do the job for me.
    Or I always press space and right mouse click at the same time.
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    I'm trying to think of any situation where you would want to jump and stick to walls at the same time and drawing a blank. How about just make wall walk turn off automatically when jumping?
  • Lemming JesusLemming Jesus Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71385Members
    One thing that AVP actually did right was that you could jump automatically to another surface assuming it was close enough. With the current wall walking I'm never sure if I'm actually going to stick or just slide down.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1851781:date=Jun 11 2011, 01:19 PM:name=pSyk0mAn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pSyk0mAn @ Jun 11 2011, 01:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851781"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm currently adding navigation aids to railings in that new map, also referred to as "clip-brushes" in hl1, which should help "differently advantaged" skulks to get over them and maybe fixes your issue aswell.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Keep in mind though that projectiles and bullets can't go trough the current implementation of Clipbrushes (faces)
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    this problem still happens alot with skulk, on stairs and in vents. You sometimes get stuck in strange positions, and jumping fails all together.