Croach instead of Infestation

Comments

• RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Mucus. Easy to remember and even looks like it.
  • SeraphaceSeraphace Join Date: 2011-04-26 Member: 95644Members
    Vote for "Scourge"
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1851930:date=Jun 12 2011, 12:27 AM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Jun 12 2011, 12:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851930"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mucus. Easy to remember and even looks like it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1

This is the (chosen) one. Rather vote for 'mucus'. Beautiful word.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1851925:date=Jun 12 2011, 12:09 AM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ Jun 12 2011, 12:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851925"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm going for 'Grout'

It's used to build things, and is also a mix of 'Growth' and 'Gout' (disease).

Lines like "Oh GOD the Grout is here!" and "Place some more Grout here so I can build Hydras" works for me! :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What the crap. Grout is what you do to the "gaps" between tiles, you grout them with a filler.

Seriously. What the hell is wrong with all you people. Keep it simple, for 10 years or similar it's been called infestation, that's what you keep. We don't rename football to "Sport that is kicked from foot" or anything dumb, we keep it football. Keep infestation as infestation. It's not rocket science to not be amazingly stupid. It's like 1+1=2. We've not all of a sudden decided 1+1=4 which is what we're proposing in this thread.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited June 2011
    Can't say I'm a fan of "croach" instead of "infestation", but I understand the reasoning.

<!--quoteo(post=1851939:date=Jun 12 2011, 09:52 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jun 12 2011, 09:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851939"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What the crap. Grout is what you do to the "gaps" between tiles, you grout them with a filler.

Seriously. What the hell is wrong with all you people. Keep it simple, for 10 years or similar it's been called infestation, that's what you keep. We don't rename football to "Sport that is kicked from foot" or anything dumb, we keep it football. Keep infestation as infestation. It's not rocket science to not be amazingly stupid. It's like 1+1=2. We've not all of a sudden decided 1+1=4 which is what we're proposing in this thread.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    "We" did rename "football" to "soccer" though, so that takes care of that argument. Also, "Sport that is kicked from foot" is a terrible name that no one would ever genuinely think of, it is also more long-winded (and stupid) than the original, "football", which goes directly against the point of "croach" which was to make the term for "infestation" shorter and easier.

Also, why haven't you asked for a refund yet?
  • RainseekerRainseeker Join Date: 2008-01-29 Member: 63530Members
    Why not just call it the "mold" or "moldering?" I agree tho about "creep" as I will always think of it this way.

But at the very least leave it at "infestation."

"Croach" is just bad. NOOOO!
  • M00_cowM00_cow Join Date: 2007-03-02 Member: 60180Members, Constellation
    DI (dee-eye) is as good as it gets in my opinion. It's simple, can be said quick and would be confused with very little to nothing.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    How about the <b>Dermis</b>? Relates to pustules as it occurs on the skin or beneath. It doesn't sound as disgusting :P
  • subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    Maybe a poll could be usefull?
    My vote stays at infestation
  • WhiteWolf22WhiteWolf22 Join Date: 2009-08-21 Member: 68559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2011
    If you really want to change the name to something shorter, my suggestion is "plague",
    but personally, I like "infestation" and it works just fine. (some people already wrote)

e.g. "comm: infest generator, pls" just works.

edit: anything similar to croach, crotch or whatever sounds stupid to me, would stick with infest anyway ;)
  • SeaStormSeaStorm Join Date: 2011-05-15 Member: 98808Members
    no matter what, ill call it glibber !
  • falcfalc Join Date: 2011-03-18 Member: 87128Members
    I also like infestation, its the term that fits best imho. Also its the best term to get new players familiar with the mechanics of DI, even if they are not native english speakers (like me). ;)
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    I like infestation. Give it a prefix that makes sense in-game (rather than the unofficial dynamic/DI situation going on right now) and then people can use that. Everything else is better that way: RT SG LMG PG AA AL. Either that or give it a name with either 4 or 5 letters that's easy to type.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1851957:date=Jun 12 2011, 02:49 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jun 12 2011, 02:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851957"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can't say I'm a fan of "croach" instead of "infestation", but I understand the reasoning.

"We" did rename "football" to "soccer" though, so that takes care of that argument. Also, "Sport that is kicked from foot" is a terrible name that no one would ever genuinely think of, it is also more long-winded (and stupid) than the original, "football", which goes directly against the point of "croach" which was to make the term for "infestation" shorter and easier.

Also, why haven't you asked for a refund yet?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Technically soccer is its official name and has been since the beginning, association football(1800s), as opposed to rugby football (1700s) which came first and was known as football at the time. Attitudes and words changed with popularity of both sports, although I won't go on about heritage to an Australian ;)

And how do you know I have not asked or received a refund? Just because I don't make a forum post for it, doesn't mean it hasn't happened.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Couch? Seriously...

Oh wait, it's Crutch right or perhaps Coke. No wait I got this, it's obviously Grouchy :P

When it's not broken, don't try and fix it with something that sounds horrible...
  • JimBob_UKJimBob_UK Join Date: 2010-04-09 Member: 71233Members
    just drop the "in" and call festation
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    The name itself is probably a bit unimaginative and lacks something for the newcomer. But the name <i>has </i>been part of the NS2 community for the longest time and it really does tell <i>exactly </i>what it is simply from it's name. I'm not sure what I would want it to be called otherwise really.

The only problem I can see for 1.0 with that name is that people will call it "DI" or "<i>Dynamic </i>Infestation"; and that was just a technical/quick term for an upcoming feature ages ago.
  • RUben1RUben1 Join Date: 2010-11-24 Member: 75246Members
    Bad idea, just keep it Investation. Generic is good, just like individual and team resources.
  • jkflipflopjkflipflop Join Date: 2010-10-13 Member: 74423Members
    Keep infestation. DI works, too.

Infest is easy to say in game.
    DI is easy to type.
    It's descriptive and you know exactly what you're getting up front. There's no need to change this.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    I hope that they will keep the name 'Infestation'. I love it, and would hate to see it go anywhere :(
    *Creepy voice* INFEEEEESSTT!!!
  • ArkilaeArkilae Join Date: 2004-08-26 Member: 30923Members
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1851771:date=Jun 11 2011, 07:25 AM:name=OutlawDr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OutlawDr @ Jun 11 2011, 07:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851771"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->UWE can't call it creep officially. Not for legal reasons, but so that they don't look like complete lame copy cats. I have no problem with Infestation. It fits perfectly with the game.

Croach sounds like its something I'll find in my gym shorts, and it will still seem like they are copying creep...but a poor man's creep. Infestation just sounds better. Its a 4 syllable word, and proud of it! and if you can't say it, f*ck you!

Call it infestation officially, and let people call it creep if they want.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

First, copy and steal as much as you can and make it better. Creep gives a speed bonus to zerg when they are on it, natural selection should do the same and add a healing bonus.

Second, Blizzard doesn't own the god damn word.

As for the name, infestation is fine. If that word doesn't get the meaning across well enough you can go have fun here <a href="http://thesaurus.com/browse/infestation" target="_blank">http://thesaurus.com/browse/infestation</a>

Croach sounds like crotch, please god no.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1852087:date=Jun 12 2011, 01:01 PM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Jun 12 2011, 01:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852087"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hope that they will keep the name 'Infestation'. I love it, and would hate to see it go anywhere :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think when they do change it officially, it would be hard to make it catch on... Growth didn't catch on either AFAIK :o
  • mokkatmokkat Join Date: 2009-08-30 Member: 68652Members
    edited June 2011
    "Infestation" fits the scenario nicely. It is a good generic definition that soldiers would use when faced with a strange alien lifeform (like the marines in "Aliens" would).

edit: alternately, I suggest we rename the infestation to <!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->"<b><!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->the Funk<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></b>"<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I'd stick with infestation. I hear other players colloquially referring it to as DI or using "infest this room" phrases already. New players instantly get what it is and how it works and I can't really think of another word with an instant association like that that doesn't need explaining.
    <!--quoteo(post=1852088:date=Jun 12 2011, 01:09 PM:name=Arkilae)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arkilae @ Jun 12 2011, 01:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852088"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->First, copy and steal as much as you can and make it better. Creep gives a speed bonus to zerg when they are on it, natural selection should do the same and add a healing bonus.

Second, Blizzard doesn't own the god damn word.

As for the name, infestation is fine. If that word doesn't get the meaning across well enough you can go have fun here <a href="http://thesaurus.com/browse/infestation" target="_blank">http://thesaurus.com/browse/infestation</a>

Croach sounds like crotch, please god no.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I remember reading ages ago there were plans to allow infestation to give a speed bonus to slower moving classes at least, can't remember where I saw it or what plans there could be for inert infestation abilities now.
  • xVisionsxVisions Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68021Members
    I think that eventually the community will adopt a name that suits it perfectly just as we play through it a bit. Some commander someday might just get tired of saying infestation and come up with the perfect name for it. Infestation isn't bad at all.. but id just let it play it out.. and i don't like croach at all.. sounds lame :(
  • NortonNorton Join Date: 2005-01-13 Member: 35264Members
    My vote is to just keep it infestation. Self-explanatory, and actually a real word. Most made up words in video games end up being really embarrassing to say.

I feel like the reason Creep worked for StarCraft is because it's an actual word. Starcraft did end up making up words for units, (ultralisk, mutalisk, zergling) but most of the units are just English words.
  • Mr.InTeLeXMr.InTeLeX Join Date: 2009-09-08 Member: 68720Members
    I think many will use pustules instead of infestation when it's ready, since you can't spread or take out the infestation without interaction to pustules.
  • darktimesdarktimes Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63247Members
    also, with something like Croach we'll get the same Beacon/Bacon situation, just way way worse.
    Crouch/Croach/Crotch/clutch/Couch.

"Commander WE NEED COUCH HERE!"

INFESTATION RULES.
  • NEX9NEX9 Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44299Members
    moss, taint, stain, bile, muck, cult as in cultures, pena as in penacilin, infecta, slip, slither, flax's, fallen, reap, sludge, vile, repute, slick, fung, green ######, slag, nerv, hind, bleak and or troll.