Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 178 (ns2_summit, bloom, blink, etc.)

FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds EntertainmentSan Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 178 (ns2_summit, bloom, blink, etc.) here

Comments

• ThrillseekerThrillseeker Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60593Members
    edited June 2011
    This patch reduced my lagg much. Good job!
  • digzdigz be still, maggot Join Date: 2002-05-07 Member: 588Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Wrong Youtube vid, you've posted build 168 instead of 178 :)
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    edited June 2011
    with this patch I actully played the most I played 3 full long games from start to finish and actully enjoyed them, I am in love with the fade blink I havnt seen anything like it in any other game, still some lag but I hope you guys work it out soon, other than that good job and keep it up guys you are allmost there.

Allso I wanted to ask ( I know its really really early for it but ) with nintendo revealing their new console at E3 do you guys think u gonna do something with that tech cause I think the new controller has some potentional specially for the commander mod, give us ur thoughts about it.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Now, with correct video!
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Forgot to put "Added Phase Gates" to the changelog!
  • phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    nice update list...

just to bring things back to the development / performance within the game, can anyone explain why spectate mode is a lot smoother than playing the game yourself, even if you're viewing the same sort of scene (i.e. my frame rate can drop to <3fps in close combat, but in spectate it's a lot slicker and looks playable !)
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    edited June 2011
    charlie I hope you plan on adding air control to aliens not just to one class out of all the aliens.
    For example skulks leap needs it as well.

don't forget adding momentum to aliens movement aswell:)
  • perfectheatperfectheat Join Date: 2007-06-28 Member: 61405Members
    Keep up the great work guys! The game looks amazing and is massive fun.
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    "Reverting back to Fades needing two hives and Onos needing three hives"

I'm surprised we went back to this I thought it was one of the better changes in NS1 to unchain life forms from the hive.

Also another small thing many of the build have lights textured/modeled in then but don't actually emit light! Would really add some visual depth if these objects had light sources.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    edited June 2011
    Still seems like wrong vid.

EDIT: Oh, was following Facebook link.
  • phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    edited June 2011
    Hmmm not sure what the problem is, but i'm now unable to run NS2 since the update - have there been any changes to require certain processor attributes like SSE3 or something for this build ?

Edit: the NS2 files validated in Steam, but after a reboot and relaunching Steam, it grabbed about 1Mb more of data and the problem resolved itself.
  • HoAxHoAx Join Date: 2004-02-10 Member: 26347Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1850998:date=Jun 8 2011, 07:22 PM:name=kabab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kabab @ Jun 8 2011, 07:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1850998"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Reverting back to Fades needing two hives and Onos needing three hives"

I'm surprised we went back to this I thought it was one of the better changes in NS1 to unchain life forms from the hive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think its great they are trying this, It will allow UWE and us to find a balance.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1851002:date=Jun 8 2011, 07:33 PM:name=HoAx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HoAx @ Jun 8 2011, 07:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851002"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think its great they are trying this, It will allow UWE and us to find a balance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The rate you gain res is slow enough where it shouldn't matter. It only makes the aliens weaker at the end of the game if they are losing.

Currently it's like a good 5 minutes from the start of the game before I can get fade.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Much Sex, Drugs And Rock And Roll going on! I can play the game once more, on 12-16 player servers and even record footage.

I've waited for this day for so long now, there was a tear involved *sniff* oh and lots of pwning the Kouji as well T_T
  • ToeLToeL Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34675Members
    I dislike the chained lifeforms... ie. Aliens have 3 hives and marines have full tech aswell (since they need only 1 tech node) and the fighting is intense. Alien team has an onos but unfortunately the 3rd hive dies and shortly there after the onos player beta client crashes. Or apply this theory to fades, aliens have two hives and marines take down one. There are still tech nodes open but it will be another 3 or more minutes before another active hive or new fade can enter the game. If a fade dies or player is disconnected / crashes aliens are boned and will rage quit (JUST LIKE NS1 GRIEFERS).

If lifeforms are chained then so should the marine's weapons. Shotguns & with 2 chairs, GLs with three chairs, flamethrowers with 3 chairs (God help them fight infestation). CHAINED LIFE FORMS MAYBE A VERY BAD CHOICE FOR SUCH SMALL MAPS!!!
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    was kinda hoping sentry farms and onos would be introduced together but o well. i wouldn't be opposed to a limit per factory if it meant not having 10+ sentries in one room.
  • zastelszastels Join Date: 2003-11-29 Member: 23731Members
    This patch made the game playable for me, but just barely.

I still had a lot of fun!
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    The more I play this patch the more awesome I think it is. Really great work guys. I've had a ton of fun already.
  • PyromaniacPyromaniac Join Date: 2009-02-20 Member: 66498Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1850984:date=Jun 8 2011, 06:49 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Jun 8 2011, 06:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1850984"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now, with correct video!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The permalink to the post has the wrong video still, only the front page is fixed.
  • skat0rskat0r Join Date: 2011-04-10 Member: 92245Members
    Just tried it, really great patch !! keep up the good work
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just finished checking it out! Summit plays great, the game looks nice with the new effects, and blink is SEXY. It looks like choppiness/laggy feelings are still very much server dependent, but I was able to play a couple complete games with about 12 people total.

Great patch, I'll be playing more of this one :)
  • omaoma Join Date: 2003-06-04 Member: 17001Members
    Something need to be done to that Infestation its overpowered and impossible to kill.. if game lasts like 1 hour the whole map is overrunned by infestation :(.

Otherwice great patch i can actually play the game summit is good, with good fps too. Something is wrong with the tram its so laggy? Rockdown is ok but summit is smoothest map..

Yeah but great work and i feel you guys are heading towards the final beta version, thumbs up! :D
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited June 2011
    Damn you UWE...i want stop playing after 167 until final...now shame on you i have to play today!
    Hehe, no realy, very nice work, i like that you use that new map, im exited to see the new stuff, also i wonder if the new fade blink is better.
    I will try today.
    Res for kills is back NICE!
    But is it just me or looks like the marines now a bit op?
    Sieges, Phasegate, weapons drop by com, sounds a bit to much against aliens?
  • aliasWarlordaliasWarlord Join Date: 2010-06-09 Member: 71999Members
    GREATEST NS2 PATCH EVER UNTIL NOW IN EVERY WAY!

Every game aspect has improved so much and i hope further improvements will come faster from now on XD

P.S.
    I think chained lifeforms need a long test to see if they are balanced or not...
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Can anyone explain the point of gorge's infestation ability? The Infestation will die after 60 seconds.
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1851087:date=Jun 9 2011, 12:13 AM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Jun 9 2011, 12:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851087"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can anyone explain the point of gorge's infestation ability? The Infestation will die after 60 seconds.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's increased health-regen for say a Lerk you're healing, it can be used as an alert of any enemies coming towards you.
    But that's it, I guess. But they are considering making it permanent if it's tied to the Hive though.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    I didn't know it does regen when placed in isolation....I guess that's somewhat useful....

Bring on pustules and projectile placed hydras :)
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Love the phasegate, ARC, improved graphics and summit!
    Going from "Press E to use phasegate" to simply running through it is great!
    Played with another guy on a EU server, he told me to ride the ARC into his hive, whoa, it's awesome.
  • SquidgetSquidget Join Date: 2003-06-13 Member: 17334Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1851087:date=Jun 9 2011, 05:13 AM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Jun 9 2011, 05:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851087"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can anyone explain the point of gorge's infestation ability? The Infestation will die after 60 seconds.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Battle-Gorge baby! I'll give an example of how I used it.

As aliens we had lost West in Rockdown, and were going to take it back. Current loadout was 2 lerks, the gorge (me), and 1 fade. West had a few token turrets, and a couple marines. No infestation.

We begin the assault. Lerks set up in the north elbow, firing into the room at rines and gassing. Fade hit n runs around the room, mostly going for sentries. That elbow, the entrance for the room, was the fallback point where everyone came to heal. I stayed on the steps, barely in sight and ready to run.

Now, this kind of attack often fails when marines focus on lerks and gorge and kill them or drive them off. So, as soon as people were sufficiently distracted, I came up the stairs and plopped some infestation, followed by 2 hydras. They hydras blocked the route out of the room, making it easier for us to retreat. But they ALSO did damage to trying to fight in West. Eventually I added a third hydra.

These hydras provided cover for me, AND dealt damage to the marines, AND acted as a roadblock to the marines. Any time one took damage, I healed them back up. Every 40 seconds, I re-infested the area so they wouldn't die.

We cleared that room without losing a single alien. Marines couldn't deal with attacks from so many different angles.

I've done the same on defense, when I saw marines inbound to a harvester. Place some temp hydras in the hallway, then run. It distracts the marines long enough for reinforcements to arrive.

The morale of the story is: don't be afraid to use hydras as situational attack-defense, using temp infestation.