Terrible performance and empty servers....

124»

Comments

• w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1848899:date=May 28 2011, 11:53 AM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ May 28 2011, 11:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848899"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Of course it gets better with each patch, I'd be seriously worried if a professional dev-team would be making it worse each iteration. The real point is that progress is pretty slow (in the grand scheme of things) in terms of performance & stability. Each patch the players come out of the woodwork under the assumption significant progress has been made in these areas, but often leave disappointed. I don't mind the absence of the Exo or the jetpacks, and I could live with the fact that the onos is invisible, but shoddy FPS, stuttering, lag, warping and CTDs really do my (and others') head in. Also, the fact that mappers now appear to have to hack their way around a non-functional occlusion-culler (manual placement of visibility-blockers) doesn't get my hopes up...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think you are shooting too high here.
    I agree that based on how much work was put on performance (or not) didnt really translate to ingame performance as much. However, considering the aggressive technology choices, I think right now NS2 is performing pretty good.
    I have a feeling that with the new occlusion culling tech (which is more similar to conversative approaches) we will see a major speedup, at least on the client side.

Where I think they are slacking is server performance. Maxing out a core for just a few players online shows that there is really something wrong with the overall design of the server software.
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    Well they only have 1 engine developer once they get a second guy on board things should move significantly faster!!
  • _Thresh__Thresh_ Join Date: 2008-01-11 Member: 63385Members
    Tech is the easy bit tbh. The new game concepts will take the longest to sort out. DI, personal res, alien commander, asym tech trees, mobile seige cannons, gorge roles, skulk movement, lerks, weapon purchasing etc. None of which show any sign they're in final form.

Add to that the limitations of working within the existing animation sets (e.g. skulk size, seige cannons) and working within the expectations of preorder groups.

New patches will be like max's binding layer x 2 ala game concepts.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    The progress of this <b>game</b> shouldn't make people angry or resort to lashing out against the devs. Spend your energy on something productive and let them get on with it I say. Besides, it's interesting playing a game that's in development! :P
  • Ares550Ares550 Join Date: 2004-04-05 Member: 27741Members
    And Im still going to buy Duke Nukem when it come out ya know.
  • SeaStormSeaStorm Join Date: 2011-05-15 Member: 98808Members
    Hi

First let me say that I already like this game! Keep up the good work!
    And to the raging ppl: Yes, its more an Alpha-status than a Beta, and progress seems to be a bit slow, but hey, its an Indy Dev Team with just a few ppl. Thats not ###### EA ( Hell no!! ).
    I bought the game a few weeks ago as I heard there is a second part being developed. I played NS1 when it was released and was addicted to it for a long time. So I bought NS2 pretty much blind without any knowledge about it. Why? Because I knew, that this game is going to be awesome, if it is just half as good as the first part.
    If not, then I would have wasted like 25€. Not a big Drama. But If it is an awesome game, then I supported a Indy Dev-Team to build something, that is pretty much unique in the Gaming Scene.
    So please stop whining about the current Performance or bugs. Its a Beta(Alpha). And you knew it, when you bought it!

and at the End of this post, let me Sign this one:

<!--quoteo(post=1848497:date=May 26 2011, 01:43 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ May 26 2011, 01:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848497"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Personally I'd say (and many others with me probably): do a feature-stop, and focus entirely on performance\stability the coming few builds.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    /sign

PS:

I want a sound-Mod for Skulks to make <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnagRjxp7v4" target="_blank">this sound</a>
  • ThrillseekerThrillseeker Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60593Members
    Seems more like a pre-alpha game to me to be honest ...
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1848962:date=May 28 2011, 04:04 PM:name=Thrillseeker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thrillseeker @ May 28 2011, 04:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848962"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seems more like a pre-alpha game to me to be honest ...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NS2's quality while not feature-complete, is most definitely more in the beta camp than alpha. But with indie development, it's very much different than normal big-box developer releases. In the large developer houses, a lot of the game would be finalised in Alpha so it would be feature-locked so the big machine doesn't falter and cost loads more money. In indie development that's a different story. As a smaller developer you have the luxury of little bureaucracy and more creative freedom to try new and different things with the game, which is what UWE are doing; constantly trying new gameplay ideas and balancing ideas. Just look at Minecraft, constantly adding features even now at 'beta' stage.

This can only a good thing for games in general. It might make the wait for NS2 longer, but ultimately we'll have a better game.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1848983:date=May 28 2011, 11:40 PM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ May 28 2011, 11:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848983"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It might make the wait for NS2 longer, but ultimately we'll have a better game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So true.
  • Ares550Ares550 Join Date: 2004-04-05 Member: 27741Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1848986:date=May 28 2011, 06:49 PM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ May 28 2011, 06:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848986"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So true.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So Duke Nukem will be 10/10 best game in universe. We'll see
  • SeaStormSeaStorm Join Date: 2011-05-15 Member: 98808Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1849007:date=May 29 2011, 06:03 AM:name=Ares550)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ares550 @ May 29 2011, 06:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1849007"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So Duke Nukem will be 10/10 best game in universe. We'll see<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes. On 10th, when Duke is being released, the Universe will collapse, because the awesomeness-factor will have a buffer overflow causing the Space-time continuum to crash!