Your feedback on our tweets here

FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds EntertainmentSan Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
Let us know what you think about our <a href="http://www.twitter.com/NS2" target="_blank">latest dev tweets</a> in this thread.

We deleted the last thread by accident but that won't happen again...

Comments

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2011
    Hope you show a short video over the weekend of the new fade mechanics/effect. :D Kinda like the alien 'flashlight' video.
  • ErriiieeeeErriiieeee Join Date: 2011-05-12 Member: 98431Members
    I'm really glad that the community feedback is actually read :}
    Can't wait to see this new effect!
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    edited May 2011
    If we aren't getting an update, I would like a video too, if you have the time that is.
  • WiltdogWiltdog Join Date: 2011-05-26 Member: 100980Members
    Im really excited to see how the double-tap function works. will it only be double tap w,a,s,d? There needs to be a way to quickly double tap to the front right and left. maybe double tap w+d together and its front right, w+a together and its front left. Just rambling.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    you deleted that hundred or so page thread? for shame.
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1848681:date=May 27 2011, 12:30 PM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ May 27 2011, 12:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848681"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you deleted that hundred or so page thread? for shame.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Craving a new patch like a heroin junkie is craving their next hit..
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay9ZxsulN2c#t=00m06s" target="_blank">SHAMEFUL DISPRAY</a>
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    It's gonna be sweet :)

From what I understand about new Blink(s):

Blink: Hold secondary fire, Fade becomes invisible and invulnerable. Fade is thrust forward at slightly faster than NS1 Blink speed, then allows player to remain static or move about at Blink speed for as long as Blink is active.

Dash: Double click secondary fire, Fade is instantly teleported (ala current Blink) a short distance.

I wonder how the ethereal effect looks with alien vision on :P?
  • MotigMotig Join Date: 2008-10-23 Member: 65281Members
    edited May 2011
    Really looking forward to the new Fade! It sounds like he'll become really fun to play!
  • saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    I'll be waiting for the day this thread hits page 300 again.
  • WiltdogWiltdog Join Date: 2011-05-26 Member: 100980Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1848684:date=May 26 2011, 09:20 PM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ May 26 2011, 09:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848684"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Dash: Double click secondary fire, Fade is instantly teleported (ala current Blink) a short distance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ahh that makes much more sense. I have no idea why I thought of it another way.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    More or less ripped from my post in another thread:

Regarding the idea of a Fade having a quick short blink by double-tapping a direction (or double rightlick, as long as we can use direcitonal keys to choose a direction): AWESOME! Do want, so bad.

Reminds me of a game I've been checking out called Vindictus. One of the classes has a short blink that can go through enemies, and is intended for melee combat/dodging.
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO0JZGNtlkk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO0JZGNtlkk</a>

Having short (but still energy-intensive) blinks is a lot of fun. I just think the energy cost of any blink, short or long, should primarily come from entering blink itself. Er...

Let's say hypothetically a "long" blink costs 40% max energy. I think even the shortest blink possible should then cost 20-30%. The primary cost of Blink comes from entering blink, where how long you stay is only a short addition onto that cost. This keeps a limit on how much a fade could spam blink, yet doesn't penalize people who use well-placed, planned blinks, even if they're long-distance.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Would be great if you guys could share some previews like you did with the alien flashlight tests.
  • thundercatzthundercatz Join Date: 2011-05-27 Member: 101095Members
    Would be cool if you guys did more podcasts and so on. Or more screenshots of some of the maps your working on. Something new.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    Can u please give us a 1min video, u dont have to edit it, just give us something to see before weekend.
  • Slickk-Slickk- Join Date: 2007-11-26 Member: 63019Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1848732:date=May 27 2011, 11:03 AM:name=rammaj)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rammaj @ May 27 2011, 11:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848732"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can u please give us a 1min video, u dont have to edit it, just give us something to see before weekend.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah this would be nice. It was pretty cool. I imagine the ethereal world to be a lot of whites and grays with the humans glowing orange/red.
    I think i've seen that design in a film or a game somewhere, it looked great.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1848681:date=May 27 2011, 02:30 AM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ May 27 2011, 02:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848681"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you deleted that hundred or so page thread? for shame.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Actually it was over 400 pages. So, c'mon, get posting, lets get this baby up to 400 pages again!

--Cory
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Make it sticky and the spambots will deal with that :p
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1848736:date=May 27 2011, 12:22 PM:name=Slickk-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slickk- @ May 27 2011, 12:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848736"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah this would be nice. It was pretty cool. I imagine the ethereal world to be a lot of whites and grays with the humans glowing orange/red.
    I think i've seen that design in a film or a game somewhere, it looked great.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This over HERE <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpe6oH2jZjM&feature=player_detailpage#t=129s" target="_blank">-LINK-</a> comes to mind, I would imagine there would be a kinda "wind" sound and windy post processing effect, blurry vision ( atleast on the screen borders ) and marines in color ( white or gray ) then again it will look super awsome but with the fade blinking in and out in a couple of seconds this might end up being distracting later on when players want to master the fade.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    We'll certainly be releasing some video of the new Fade blink soon, although I think it will be part of a bigger patch video when we release it (hoping for next Friday).
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Might want to renew your domain name. It says it expired yesterday (unknownworlds.com).
  • Josh86Josh86 Join Date: 2010-12-06 Member: 75513Members
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1848788:date=May 27 2011, 12:28 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ May 27 2011, 12:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848788"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We'll certainly be releasing some video of the new Fade blink soon, although I think it will be part of a bigger patch video when we release it (hoping for next Friday).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hmm...Memorial Day off and then NS2 content on Friday? I was hoping for some content exposure this week, but I suppose two awesome days next week will be nice. Thanks for the info!

Oh, and with work I know it's hard to tell when things will be completed but..."hoping". I hear that term a lot. I don't blame you guys but rememeber what Yoda said to Luke when he asked him to lift the X-Wing out of the swamp...
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1848803:date=May 27 2011, 07:00 PM:name=Josh86)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Josh86 @ May 27 2011, 07:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848803"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh, and with work I know it's hard to tell when things will be completed but..."hoping". I hear that term a lot. I don't blame you guys but rememeber what Yoda said to Luke when he asked him to lift the X-Wing out of the swamp...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There are so many variables to take into account, especially with a patch that has so many changes in it, like the one we are planning on releasing next week. Even getting all our tasks done exactly when predicted, the testing we do can find game breaking bugs that were unexpected pushing the patch release schedule out. Again, the likelihood of that happening increases the more content and game/engine changes are in a patch.

We also tend to get flamed by everyone if we give an exact date and then miss it, but we also want to give you guys a heads up regarding progress so that everyone is not kept in the dark wondering when the next patch will be. So, for now, terms like "hoping" and "approximately" and "maybe" are going to be used a lot in twitter and forum thread posts.

Sometimes I feel that lifting X-Wings out of swamps with my mind is easier then game development.

--Cory
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    edited May 2011
    It's sort of unreasonable to expect you guys to know exactly when this stuff is getting pushed through, anyways.

Anyone saying otherwise and getting genuinely upset when dates end up getting pushed back probably needs to re-evaluate their priorities.

Keep up the good work guys!
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1848808:date=May 27 2011, 08:34 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ May 27 2011, 08:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848808"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sometimes I feel that lifting X-Wings out of swamps with my mind is easier then game development.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well yeah, nobody seriously expects you to manage that, and are impressed when you do.

Game development though, pff, everyone manages that, that's <i>easy...</i>
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    I hope you guys post at least some video before the next patch, I really can't wait to see the new blink in action.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1848808:date=May 27 2011, 09:34 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ May 27 2011, 09:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848808"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sometimes I feel that lifting X-Wings out of swamps with my mind is easier then game development.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That is why you fail.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1848677:date=May 26 2011, 09:07 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ May 26 2011, 09:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848677"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hope you show a short video over the weekend of the new fade mechanics/effect. :D Kinda like the alien 'flashlight' video.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1848808:date=May 27 2011, 03:34 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ May 27 2011, 03:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848808"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"hoping" and "approximately" and "maybe"
    Sometimes I feel that lifting X-Wings out of swamps with my mind is easier then game development.

Do or do not. There is no "hoping".

j/k, I'm actually super excited about this patch more than any so far, can't wait!
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1848808:date=May 27 2011, 08:34 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ May 27 2011, 08:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848808"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We also tend to get flamed by everyone if we give an exact date and then miss it, but we also want to give you guys a heads up regarding progress so that everyone is not kept in the dark wondering when the next patch will be. So, for now, terms like "hoping" and "approximately" and "maybe" are going to be used a lot in twitter and forum thread posts.

I think it's worth considering the choise of words. Trying, wanting, planning and aiming make you seem a lot more active while it still stays as an approximation. "Hoping" is a nice way of expressing things, but it's not a good word for the only future projection you give.

And yeah, as Juice pointed out: There's usually no reason to talk about things until you strongly believe you do or do not. Hoping has a huge noise value compared to the actual information value it has.