Current crosshairs too convoluted and distracting

CaCaCaCa Join Date: 2003-06-12 Member: 17319Members
edited May 2011 in Ideas and Suggestions
Okay, another minor gripe and suggestion, as is my custom:

I find the current crosshairs, specifically the marines', to be unnecessarily convoluted. They're "lines" are too thick, they occupy way more space than they need to, and have way too many "designs".
By "designs" I mean for each one, for example the shotguns crosshair: It was fine when it was just a circle, so why the need to put that dumb dot in the middle? Who thought that was "cool"? Also the "line" that makes the circle could be thinner.

The pistol's and rifle's crosshair are the main offenders. Those 2 half-circle lines on each side of the cross are unnecessary. Just leave the dot-cross.

At the very least it's be nice for them to be transluscent, or to have a transluscency option.

Now, I'm not complaining about this 'coz "OMG cant hit anything xhares sux!!" or something like that. I manage fairly well, considering. It's just that they're annoying.

Am I alone in this? I am, aren't I?...

Comments

• AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    edited May 2011
    Find some cross-hairs you like and import them in. I don't imagine it is that hard at all be LUA based and all. Personally,l I don't have a problem with the current ones.
  • PheusPheus Join Date: 2003-01-30 Member: 12924Members
    not a valid response... it will be a problem on servers that force default sprites/models etc
  • xVisionsxVisions Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68021Members
    Ill make some new ones this week :) yay, i have a bunch of them done just need to polish and stuff. Look for them soon
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    Nice! Yes, the crosshairs are overbearing. The rifles crosshair is complete wtf.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2011
    @xVisions
    I would love to have just a dot(and a standard COD, CS style one), maybe in some different sizes to choose from - would be nice <3 (and if the hit indicator is modable too, it would like to have those lines more slim, maybe shorter too)

ty :P
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    The game should at least come with a simple and effective set of crosshairs (the common 1.04 black and white works just fine). Having terrible and obstructive default crosshairs was a notable inaccessibility issue for a long while in NS1. Finally, 3.2 kept the obstructive crosshairs as default but gave good alternatives in the options menu. Before that you already needed some sprite editing or file swapping even to see your target properly, especially on lower resolutions.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    A circle and a dot is too complicated?

Really?
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1848471:date=May 26 2011, 07:05 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ May 26 2011, 07:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1848471"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The game should at least come with a simple and effective set of crosshairs (the common 1.04 black and white works just fine). Having terrible and obstructive default crosshairs was a notable inaccessibility issue for a long while in NS1. Finally, 3.2 kept the obstructive crosshairs as default but gave good alternatives in the options menu. Before that you already needed some sprite editing or file swapping even to see your target properly, especially on lower resolutions.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

indeed, and couldn't agree more. Most games now come with many crosshairs to choice from, and easy way to import new ones.
  • WiltdogWiltdog Join Date: 2011-05-26 Member: 100980Members
    edited June 2011
    *bump* didn't want to create new thread.

I actually just played a game and immediately noticed a aim increase with my weapons when I had this weird bug where it disabled all of my hud numbers and crosshairs.

I went to my options menu and hoped to see an choice to disable crosshairs :( Can we add this please? And if possible, make it marine and alien specific? Thanks!
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Having some options available in-game (AND NOT CONSOLE CHOSEN) would be nice.
    UWE Please read this and have an option for next patch that allows you to disable crosshairs.
  • HanneslolHanneslol Join Date: 2011-03-21 Member: 87724Members
    I love the current ones. If they are being changed please leave the current ones as options ^^
    Bump.

Id really like to have the option to disable crosshairs please. With an option for both aliens and marines. Thanks
  • UnderwhelmedUnderwhelmed DemoDetective #?&#33; Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58026Members, Constellation
    If NS2 isn't going to allow custom crosshairs and have server settings that disallow them, I'm going to flip a ######.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    Bumpity bump a dump
  • HadesDKHadesDK Join Date: 2008-07-31 Member: 64739Members
    I really love Visions crosshairs

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=113780" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=113780</a>