Infestation, i think i may have gotten mixed up...

HurracaneHurracane Join Date: 2007-03-08 Member: 60289Members
Hey all,

I've been testing NS2 for a little bit now and I've always wondered why the current infestation was a image on the floor that just got bigger, making it look really..... crappy...

But the tweet from a day ago said one of the Dev's put up a simulation of what they wanted their 'DI'(Dynamic Infestation?) to be like, and immediately I thought.... Things are making more sense now....

I'm I the only only idiot who didn't know about this? I remember seeing a trailer for NS2 and it having infestation just growing, and I wondered why it was like it is right now :P

Comments

• Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    The other video was like a prototype of it, what it might look like, to actually get that ingame would probably be really laggy and stuff, so what they have now is another sort of prototype, it just uses really crappy graphics to test what it will play like.

Eventually they will add in a proper graphical effect for it.
  • HurracaneHurracane Join Date: 2007-03-08 Member: 60289Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1844510:date=May 7 2011, 01:16 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ May 7 2011, 01:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1844510"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The other video was like a prototype of it, what it might look like, to actually get that ingame would probably be really laggy and stuff, so what they have now is another sort of prototype, it just uses really crappy graphics to test what it will play like.

Eventually they will add in a proper graphical effect for it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ahh ok, good to know :)

I think it will be quite awesome when it's done :P
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited May 2011
    Well, the actual spreading mechanism (large, discrete patches) is, I imagine, a placeholder, as I'm sure they want DI to spread out on its own - though it can be guided and accelerated by the Alien commander.
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Check out this simulation how DI should work in the future
    <a href="http://www.openprocessing.org/visuals/?visualID=28183" target="_blank">http://www.openprocessing.org/visuals/?visualID=28183</a>

And it does not sit only on the ground, it is supposed to infest the whole room including the ceiling.

(source: <a href="https://docs.google.com/document/d/139ySUrBsO0m0Z4ilq0YsDEHJLQhBa6RrIjJIsckL2kE/edit?hl=en&authkey=CLCo8Z0J&pli=1#" target="_blank">Charlies scratch pad</a> )
  • HurracaneHurracane Join Date: 2007-03-08 Member: 60289Members
    Yeah, saw that just before i posted the thread, can't wait to see it in action.
  • subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    If the infestation is truly dynamic and all-covering, isn't the whole map turning out green at the end?
    That would mean that all landmarks (offices, crates, trains, lights,...) would be unrecognizable. On the other hand, giving landmarks "immunity" to the infestation would look unnatural.
    I don't know anyhing about mapping, but wouldn't you get the most polished look if you let the mapper decide what infestation would do to his landmarks ? It would be less organic and dynamic, but much better looking.
    Maybe the mappers can decide what how a fully infestated room would look, and the dynamic part calculates everything between clean and fully infestated.
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1845092:date=May 9 2011, 03:21 PM:name=subshadow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (subshadow @ May 9 2011, 03:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845092"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If the infestation is truly dynamic and all-covering, isn't the whole map turning out green at the end?
    That would mean that all landmarks (offices, crates, trains, lights,...) would be unrecognizable. On the other hand, giving landmarks "immunity" to the infestation would look unnatural.
    I don't know anyhing about mapping, but wouldn't you get the most polished look if you let the mapper decide what infestation would do to his landmarks ? It would be less organic and dynamic, but much better looking.
    Maybe the mappers can decide what how a fully infestated room would look, and the dynamic part calculates everything between clean and fully infestated.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm sure it's possible to code infestation in so that say, any 3d polygonal infestation that is near certain props, those props could then be covered in infestation decals, or just change the texture of the original prop with infestation over it. It might look somewhat silly. I'd much prefer to see a whole room covered in 3d polygonal infestation though as it would look more natural and consistent with the rest of it.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Maybe they could make it so infestation mesh is less thick around props and such, so we can easily identify Resource Nodes and Tech Points.
  • Lemming JesusLemming Jesus Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71385Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1845092:date=May 9 2011, 01:21 PM:name=subshadow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (subshadow @ May 9 2011, 01:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845092"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If the infestation is truly dynamic and all-covering, isn't the whole map turning out green at the end?
    Maybe the mappers can decide what how a fully infestated room would look, and the dynamic part calculates everything between clean and fully infestated.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Only if the aliens win. That's the idea. The marines can burn and fight back the infestation. Seeing it everywhere is a very bad sign for the marine teams. Causing the map's landmarks to look foreign and overgrown is the entire point of the effect.