How do you deal with flamers?

SethbeastalanSethbeastalan Join Date: 2011-05-05 Member: 97360Members
As a dedicated alien player (idk if that's encouraged or not, but I find it much easier to learn a race if you just stick with one), and sometimes alien commander, I really hate flame throwers.

For example:
Was playing on a public server where we pretty much had the map taken since it was a 3v1, once teams started to get even, they eventually got flame throwers. This allowed one person (not in one life) to take out a patch of 5 hydras with gorge support by himself. I would've built a crag nearby if I know the flamer would be able to go through so easily.

Every single game I've played (granted, I've played less than 10 actually good games), whenever the marines get flame throwers it's practically gg. Any ideas on how to currently deal with this? Or is currently unavailable alien tech supposed to deal with these?

Comments

• SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Fast skulk rush their base when their whole team is burning away one of your hives. Works almost every time since marine comms are lazy at building IPs to other bases.

Teamwork, timing, aliens should be constantly aggressive.
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1844404:date=May 5 2011, 10:36 PM:name=Skie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skie @ May 5 2011, 10:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1844404"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fast skulk rush their base when their whole team is burning away one of your hives. Works almost every time since marine comms are lazy at building IPs to other bases.

Teamwork, timing, aliens should be constantly aggressive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The problem with that by that point in the game there are at least 3 or more sentries covering every corner of the base, and the commander often pokes out of his little command chair with his own Flamer/Shotgun and wipes out any potential skulk rush. The times when that strategy works is when a full team of aliens coordinates a full on attack, and when i mean a full team i mean at least 2 fades and multiple skulks, maybe a gorge or Lerk all work together in one clean and quick ambush, which doesn't happen very often given the generally low populated servers at the moment.

Now this may all change once things become more stable and servers are more populated.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2011
    I cant remeber the last time i lost as alien, no matter if they got fts or not.

Alternative1: Lategame, gather your team, make 2-3 kills and rush their base - win.
    Alternative2: Earlygame, Gather your team rush - win.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Generally the best approach is to ignore them, this sort of goes for winning in general but you don't win by killing players, you win by killing res nodes and things that cost carbon.

Kill them if they get in your way or if they are blowing up important stuff (hydras are not important stuff btw, they are effectively free, distracting flamerthrower guys is what they're for) but otherwise just avoid them and kill their res towers, chances are they will stop whatever they're doing and run after you, which you can obviously beat them at as all aliens can kite a flamethrower guy.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited May 2011
    DI spam + focus on killing their RTs. FTs are expensive, so if you can get marines down to 1 res node, then they'll be significantly hampered.

As a last resort, you can always do a 3-4 skulk/fade rush. If no sentries, go skulk, if sentries, go fade.
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ...and with a fade you can take out a Flamer-Marine very easy. Just turn on your alien vision and kill him.
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    edited May 2011
    Ahhh.... Very clever!

Had a game last night where this one fade in particular didn't skip a beat when he got set on fire, and continued to mow us down with impunity even with 3 of us bathing the corridor in flame and jumping around like monkies.

Gonna have to try that one out myself... Can't help but wonder if just keeping it on all the time for melee units will make things easier, as it does tend to very clearly distinguish marines from the background.
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1844425:date=May 6 2011, 01:40 AM:name=Rokiyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rokiyo @ May 6 2011, 01:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1844425"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ahhh.... Very clever!

Had a game last night where this one fade in particular didn't skip a beat when he got set on fire, and continued to mow us down with impunity even with 3 of us bathing the corridor in flame and jumping around like monkies.

Gonna have to try that one out myself... Can't help but wonder if just keeping it on all the time for melee units will make things easier, as it does tend to very clearly distinguish marines from the background.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Usually I run around with alienvision on all the time because of that, but it has its downsides.
    For instance, it happens to me sometimes that I die because I didn't realise that some marine set me on fire. And you can't see your spores as a lerk.
    However the biggest disadvantage is that you can't see if a Room is powered or unpowered.

Afaik the sight is sonar based, thats why.
  • YotopiaYotopia Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75176Members
    edited May 2011
    Yes since 176 Fades are very strong.You can take out easy 2-3 Flamer Marines with alien vision alone if you defending a hive or have crags around you in other areas.Its good that Fades are stronger now because in earlier patches is was so frustrating to get raped from FlamerLamers in every game.
    But one thing is strange.If i am on fire as fade and fight against marines with flamt. i have the feeling that i am loosing more and faster adrenaline then usual.was this made intentionally ?
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    for me lerk works great against flamethrowers, because you have a far longer range. and lerk snipping with alien vision can be very powerful (if the lag isn't that bad ;) )
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Flamer isn't suiter vs Fades, shotty powered madness vs Fade is the way to go. But yeah, you do need anti-DI killing power as well...
  • DuoGodOfDeathDuoGodOfDeath Join Date: 2002-08-01 Member: 1044Members
    You move out of San Francisco.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    edited May 2011
    1) Use Alien Vision to remove the On Fire effect
    2) Become best friends with a Gorge.
    3) Try to kill your opponent from a distance.
    4) Kite your opponent into rooms where you have the advantage
    5) Wait for Carapace.
  • SethbeastalanSethbeastalan Join Date: 2011-05-05 Member: 97360Members
    I'm saying this from the commander's perspective. Also, I had lvl 2 armor on everyone.
  • MajinMajin Join Date: 2003-05-29 Member: 16829Members, Constellation
    I have played a lot of NS2 games lately and the tables tend to turn a lot in the marines favor once they get nades and flamers; infestation and hydra spam can't keep you safe once they have the nade launcher and the flamer.

The solution, FADE RUSH!

3 Fades backed up by a Lerk can take out a whole load of marines very quickly. Sentry guns can be sniped by a lerk and a fade can blink into a blind spot rather easy and take the sentry gun out. I have yet to play a game where the marines were able to win once the Kharra team smartened up and went all FADE.
    Most players are stupid and you will see people going gorge once the grenade launcher and Flamers are researched...

FADE RUSH always wins games!
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Armor #3 helps things a lot now, especially fades.

I still think aliens stay on fire a ridiculously long time. Max burn time should be 5 seconds, not 60.
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1844443:date=May 6 2011, 05:51 AM:name=Yotopia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yotopia @ May 6 2011, 05:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1844443"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes since 176 Fades are very strong.You can take out easy 2-3 Flamer Marines with alien vision alone if you defending a hive or have crags around you in other areas.Its good that Fades are stronger now because in earlier patches is was so frustrating to get raped from FlamerLamers in every game.
    But one thing is strange.If i am on fire as fade and fight against marines with flamt. i have the feeling that i am loosing more and faster adrenaline then usual.was this made intentionally ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You don't regen adrenaline while on fire.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1844564:date=May 6 2011, 04:11 PM:name=matso)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (matso @ May 6 2011, 04:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1844564"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You don't regen adrenaline while on fire.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thats the problem with fighting flamethrowers directly. Unless you can kill the marine in the first 2-3 swipes, you'll run out of adrenaline and have to retreat. That's why I prefer not to fight flamethrowers directly and instead bleed their resources by killing their RTs.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1844564:date=May 6 2011, 04:11 PM:name=matso)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (matso @ May 6 2011, 04:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1844564"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You don't regen adrenaline while on fire.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Which is a huge problem when you stay on fire for 60 seconds. You light one fade on fire and they have to sit at the hive/crags for up to 60 seconds to heal. It's almost worse than dying because you're out of the fight for so long. UWE desperately needs to adjust the maximum burn time.
  • FloricedFloriced Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7129Members
    Once the flamers come in it's either rush to kill humies or bend over.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1844529:date=May 7 2011, 03:31 AM:name=Sethbeastalan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sethbeastalan @ May 7 2011, 03:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1844529"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm saying this from the commander's perspective. Also, I had lvl 2 armor on everyone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In that case... Tell your players to:
    <!--quoteo(post=1844523:date=May 7 2011, 03:00 AM:name=KuBaN)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KuBaN @ May 7 2011, 03:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1844523"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1) Use Alien Vision to remove the On Fire effect
    2) Become best friends with a Gorge.
    3) Try to kill your opponent from a distance.
    4) Kite your opponent into rooms where you have the advantage
    5) Wait for Carapace.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->