Rifle Sound

w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
I dont understand why instead of trying to fix the rifle sound loop bug (5+ patches, really?), you simply make the rifle sound work on a per-shot basis rather than the trigger basis.

This will require a different sound, however, I think the old HMG of NS1 is a perfect example of how well non-looping sounds work. (single and multiple shots simply sound awesome).

Comments

• w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I see the first shot is now always a non-looping single shot sound, but why then fall back to the looping sound? Make it play the single shot sound for every shot fired please!
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    It is really quite difficult to make a single shot play for that long and have it sound right. The looping sound works much better, other then the issue with the looping sound bugs, but those can be addressed.

Also, when we say that we've fixed the looping sound bug, we mean the sound bug where it would loop forever. We know it still has problems where it continues to loop for a short time after its finished firing, and we are looking into the causes. In general, if there's a problem like that its better to fix it in the code side, as its often indicative of a larger problem, rather then just trying to work around it by getting rid of all looping sounds.

--Cory
  • simon kamakazisimon kamakazi Join Date: 2009-04-28 Member: 67296Members
    yeh, there are a few problems with doing it as single shots instead of a loop, 1 loops just sound better (all the games ive looked at with awsome sounding weapons use loops) 2 fmod has trouble with triggering sounds at very rapid intervals accuratly, ie, depending on ur frame rate the sound will speed up, and slow down. but there is a trade off it is harder for the programmers, the loop needs to be told when to stop otherwise it continues forever.
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    I've noticed with the machine gun in 175 its impossible to fire single shots now :/
  • w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1843470:date=May 1 2011, 07:10 AM:name=simon kamakazi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (simon kamakazi @ May 1 2011, 07:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1843470"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yeh, there are a few problems with doing it as single shots instead of a loop, 1 loops just sound better (all the games ive looked at with awsome sounding weapons use loops) 2 fmod has trouble with triggering sounds at very rapid intervals accuratly, ie, depending on ur frame rate the sound will speed up, and slow down. but there is a trade off it is harder for the programmers, the loop needs to be told when to stop otherwise it continues forever.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I dont know, but I thought the weapons in NS1 and CounterStrike for example all sound really nice, and they are non-looping as far as I know.
    <!--quoteo(post=1843489:date=May 1 2011, 02:48 PM:name=w0dk4)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (w0dk4 @ May 1 2011, 02:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1843489"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I dont know, but I thought the weapons in NS1 and CounterStrike for example all sound really nice, and they are non-looping as far as I know.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeh they sound nice, but compare CS to bad company 2 or crysis 2 and ull know what im talking about.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwxN8sCIOOE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwxN8sCIOOE</a>

These are non-looping and sound great.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited May 2011
    Loops are better.

Generally you use a mix of loops and singles, you can open with a single which has more emphasis because the rifle is starting to shoot, then you loop while it's shooting, then the final bullet plays a single again, but the final single has like a long fadeoff, which simulates the echoes you would get from something that loud.

Loops also have the benefit of only using one sound channel, whereas half a dozen overlapping singles would use half a dozen channels.

If you can get loops to work, use them, and I'm sure UWE can get the loops working.

Besides, you'll need loops for a lot of sounds in the game, you need to fix them at some point.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1843503:date=May 1 2011, 06:12 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ May 1 2011, 06:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1843503"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Loops also have the benefit of only using one sound channel, whereas half a dozen overlapping singles would use half a dozen channels.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hmm... surely this wasn't the case in HL1? Like the aforementioned HMG, that uh... how to put it, sort of <i>replaced</i> any currently running instance of the sound when starting the sound anew. So the old sound was cut off, even if only halfway, and the new played in its stead.
    At least, it sounded exactly like that was how it worked, when I went to make a loop sound out of the HMG firing (for using in TF2).
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1843519:date=May 1 2011, 08:39 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ May 1 2011, 08:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1843519"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hmm... surely this wasn't the case in HL1? Like the aforementioned HMG, that uh... how to put it, sort of <i>replaced</i> any currently running instance of the sound when starting the sound anew. So the old sound was cut off, even if only halfway, and the new played in its stead.
    At least, it sounded exactly like that was how it worked, when I went to make a loop sound out of the HMG firing (for using in TF2).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well you could do that but you would probably notice the cutoff unless you made the sound very carefully.

Best way is still to make a loop, then you can make the overlap sound like whatever you want in the sound editor. Gives the sound designer more control, lets them do anything they can do in the editor.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Well, not saying it was a better or worse solution, just that it was used in hl1.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    Single shot, followed by a loop, followed by another single shot to end it, maybe?
    Wasn't that what Chris was suggesting?
    <!--quoteo(post=1843595:date=May 2 2011, 09:25 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ May 2 2011, 09:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1843595"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Single shot, followed by a loop, followed by another single shot to end it, maybe?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

thats how it works now actually, but the last single shot isnt the same as the first one, its just the tail end of the fire sound.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited May 2011
    What I'm more interested in, though, is what happens when you fire very low numbers of bullets at a time:
    1 bullet?
    2 bullets?
    3 bullets?
    4 bullets?