HELP ME GET NS WORKING!

SockemSockem Join Date: 2011-04-11 Member: 92562Members
<div class="IPBDescription">i have linux ubuntu, and when i click on steam, nothing pops up.</div>HELP ME GET NS ON LINUX!!!

Comments

• FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    Afaik, ns2 does not work on linux (yet?).
    I didnt know steam did, thought it was win/mac only atm.
  • zimzumzimzum Join Date: 2004-09-02 Member: 31200Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Steam does work with wine and there are a number of games that can be played, but at this point NS2 is not one of them.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    edited April 2011
    You just made me look up what wine exactly is. Always thought its an emulator and was about to argue that you therefor run steam on windows when using wine, but to make sure I had the correct facts i made a quick look on wiki, this is the result:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wine is not an emulator, but is instead a compatibility layer, providing alternative implementations of the DLLs that Windows programs call, and a process to substitute for the Windows NT kernel.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thanks for making me learn something today ;)

My answer to sockem should still be valid tho, as I doubt that anyone who make a topic entirely out of capital letters realise that there is differences between operating systems, and probably assumes its more like how there is different kinds of shoes, but humans can still run (pun intended) in all of them... unless it is not a shoe, but some sort of footgear made to resemble a shoe but not be usable, like those high heel stuff. And because of this does not use wine.
  • SockemSockem Join Date: 2011-04-11 Member: 92562Members
    i meant ns1, mkay.. it doesnt run on whine..mmkay...i haven't the faintest idea of what im doing too D:
  • zimzumzimzum Join Date: 2004-09-02 Member: 31200Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You've installed HL1?
  • SockemSockem Join Date: 2011-04-11 Member: 92562Members
    edited April 2011
    ohh, kinda like the gloom install... silly me.. i have to get the game to get the mod