How to create a NS2 Dedicated Server

Comments

• BricksolidBricksolid Join Date: 2009-10-02 Member: 68929Members
    Anyone else have this issue?

./steam -command update -game naturalselection2 -dir .
    Checking bootstrapper version ...
    Updating Installation
    Retrying in 30 seconds. . .
    Retrying in 30 seconds. . .
    HLDS installation up to date
    CAsyncIOManager: 0 threads terminating. 0 reads, 0 writes, 0 deferrals.
    CAsyncIOManager: 43 single object sleeps, 0 multi object sleeps
    CAsyncIOManager: 0 single object alertable sleeps, 0 multi object alertable sleeps

When it not up to date. Im using linux with wine. I cant run the hldsupdater with wine. Is there no way to update ns2 for linux?
    Has anyone been able to get a server running on wine to use mulitcore or mulithreads for that matter running ns2? If so how?
  • JmactheAttackJmactheAttack Join Date: 2011-04-20 Member: 94638Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    A few questions:
    -Has anyone figured out how to accomplish automatic map rotations?
    -Does the Web Admin 'command field' actually work? (I had the server setup on my computer and everything was running fine except for the command field)
    -Is there any way to lock down the commands from being entered by anyone?

Jmac
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-Has anyone figured out how to accomplish automatic map rotations?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Last time I checked map switching (and thus rotation) wasn't possible, a complete restart is necessary for the time being.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-Does the Web Admin 'command field' actually work? (I had the server setup on my computer and everything was running fine except for the command field)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I believe it does work, there's just little feedback at this time, and only a few working commands, so it might appear as if it's not doing anything.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-Is there any way to lock down the commands from being entered by anyone?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you're talking about the Web-Admin, there's obviously a user\pass in the way. The only other place commands can be inputted directly into the engine is when you're using a listen-server and type them into it's ingame-console.

This all pertains to a vanilla-setup of course.
  • JmactheAttackJmactheAttack Join Date: 2011-04-20 Member: 94638Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1842716:date=Apr 27 2011, 11:45 AM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Apr 27 2011, 11:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1842716"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Last time I checked map switching (and thus rotation) wasn't possible, a complete restart is necessary for the time being.

I believe it does work, there's just little feedback at this time, and only a few working commands, so it might appear as if it's not doing anything.

If you're talking about the Web-Admin, there's obviously a user\pass in the way. The only other place commands can be inputted directly into the engine is when you're using a listen-server and type them into it's ingame-console.

This all pertains to a vanilla-setup of course.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well that pretty much covers what I wanted to know, THANKS! Oh, on the third point, I was talking about in-game console commands, not the website, because as you said, it is obvious ;) and I actually RTFM for once.
  • PhYzorPhYzor Join Date: 2003-10-26 Member: 22005Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2011
    hello,

I can start my server (on Windows 2008 R2, firewall off, by HLDS), i can connect to it, but in Netstat i can't see the process "server.exe", why ?

it was a problem with my NAT.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Indeed... I sense a great disturbance on the Intertubes, as if a Centillion bots are amassing in the north...
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    edited June 2011
    a minus sign even in quotes wont work when starting a dedicated server for a map name is there a way to get around without changing the mapname?

and no the map name is not just the minus sign there is just one in the name.
    Anyone know how to fix, this is with running the server under wine. The server runs, but doesnt show in the server list.
    fixme:dbghelp:elf_search_auxv can't find symbol in module
    steamengine.cpp (1610) : Assertion Failed: m_pSteamInterface
    Failed to load Steam ServiceServiceStart: failed to startConnected to Steam servers
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    I've set up a server of my own. I have a few questions:

1. Currently I'm using a shortcut for webadmin, can this be done through the config file as well? Can someone share a fully set-up config file, with the important data blanked out? I'm not sure which variables I can use and where.
    2. When my server is running, it shows up for me, but people can't seem to connect from the outside. I've set my ports up properly and my client sees it from both LAN and WAN.
    3. How well does NS2 handle multithreading?

Thanks in advance! ;)
  • MOOtantMOOtant Join Date: 2010-06-25 Member: 72158Members
    bricksolid: You can probably ignore these messages and check if UDP packets to port and port+1 can get through. NAT if needed.

Angelusz:
    2. Same ^^^
    3. There's just 1 thread, don't even try.
  • nefariousnefarious Join Date: 2002-12-24 Member: 11461Members
    Finally got this working.
    damm thing EATS the CPU up though. I expected I would run out of upload capacity prior to CPU capacity, but apparantly I was wrong :O
    6 players drove the server into the floor, Poor little server just doesnt seem to handle the demands of NS2 :)

Will let it run for a while and mess around with a few things.

To be fair, its not a true "server". Its an old P4 3.4Ghz Gaming PC with a half stuffed old Vista install. I could probably DOUBLE the performance by reinstalling windows...but effort. Was just a test to see if it would work..and it does. And it gives better performance than I get on the Gamearena servers :O
  • antichristantichrist Join Date: 2003-05-27 Member: 16769Members
    I m having one issue where if you direct connect to my server it be fine, but if you go to steamlist it doesnt show on there. I ve opened all the ports I can think of any other ideas?
    <!--quoteo(post=1855171:date=Jun 21 2011, 05:41 PM:name=antichrist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (antichrist @ Jun 21 2011, 05:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1855171"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I m having one issue where if you direct connect to my server it be fine, but if you go to steamlist it doesnt show on there. I ve opened all the ports I can think of any other ideas?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Im having the same problem. I cant figure out what causes it.
  • vlncvlnc Join Date: 2010-09-07 Member: 73921Members, Squad Five Blue
    ive posted some scripts to start your server here : <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=113920" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=113920</a>

hope that will help
    Anyone ideas on why my server isnt showing in steam list? (I can connect externally to it and others can)
  • MOOtantMOOtant Join Date: 2010-06-25 Member: 72158Members
    Maybe some weird NAT going on doesn't let packets go from your internal network to internal server <b>through external IP</b>.
    Think found the issue, we have a sonicwall at work and it wants as well as port forwarding to setup a static ARP
    I still cant seem to have the server show on the list. The ports are not blocked and I can see the server listening in netstat. It connects to the steam servers and I can connect to it directly. SO what the dealio?
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    Try following this thread--> <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=113994" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=113994</a>
    Thanks for that, but I am running on a centos box with wine. Everything works but the server list. It just happened with this patch.
    Its not listening on those ports, but there is no firewall.. Nothing in iptables.
    netstat -lnp | grep :27015
    udp 280 0 server.ip.lol:27015 0.0.0.0:* 1347/server.exe

netstat -lnp | grep :27016
    udp 0 0 server.ip.lol:27016 0.0.0.0:*
    what is the left4 dead site with the server list url?
    i meant the play4dead site with the dev log sorry i already found it. op needs to have links to this stuff in first post also links to the overmind mod and maby help on setting the stuff up. plus the ns2updater that some of the servers are using those kind of links would be nice in the first post.!!
    Steam just updated (new trading-system), and everytime the server is launched I now get:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->gameserver.cpp (734) : Assertion Failed: m_CMInterface.GetLogonState() == k_ELogonStateNotLoggedOn
    Assert( Assertion Failed: m_CMInterface.GetLogonState() == k_ELogonStateNotLoggedOn ):.\gameserver.cpp:734<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Doesn't seem to have any further negative effects on the server's functioning. It also only happens when the server runs alongside a steam-instance.

Let me use this occasion to also mention that since #185 the build-number at start-up is garbled, like so:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Build 1841329423<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Other times it'll be a large negative value, so we're just looking at an uninitialized variable here it seems. Also no further negative effects here either (Shared.GetBuildNumber returns the proper build still).
    Still getting that assertion at start-up:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->gameserver.cpp (735) : Assertion Failed: m_CMInterface.GetLogonState() == k_ELogonStateNotLoggedOn
    Assert( Assertion Failed: m_CMInterface.GetLogonState() == k_ELogonStateNotLoggedOn ):.\gameserver.cpp:735<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->tier0_s.dll!3f003749()<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • SloppyKissesSloppyKisses omgawd a furreh&#33; Virginia Join Date: 2003-07-05 Member: 17942Members, Constellation
    Ports 27015 and 27016 are open, but my server does not show up on the dev tracker list @ <a href="http://www.play4dead.com/ns2/" target="_blank">http://www.play4dead.com/ns2/</a>

Any suggestions?

I've tried using server.xml and I've also tried using just the server.exe shortcut adding everything into the target line. No go.

However, I have seen people connect to my server. So I know it's running, but why wont it show up on the server tracker list?
    If it doesn't show up on the dev-tracker, it must mean it isn't listed on the master-server. Yet you say people have connected to it, suggesting it IS visible ingame (which again uses the master-server). What's the IP?
  • SloppyKissesSloppyKisses omgawd a furreh&#33; Virginia Join Date: 2003-07-05 Member: 17942Members, Constellation
    edited October 2011
    sent you a PM

does the master server have a different IP besides 27015 or 27016? I sent you the server info, but I know for sure both those ports are open. I've used multiple port checkers, allowed the ports through my firewall/NAT ect.

edit: I even had someone just connect, not sure if it was you or not. So i can't figure out why its fubar'd on the master server list on the dev tracker website :/
    it is a diffrent database so it takes time