Include "commander icon" in text chat

ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
<div class="IPBDescription">***FOR BOTH TEAM AND GLOBAL CHAT***</div><!--coloro:#FFFFFF--><span style="color:#FFFFFF"><!--/coloro--><b>SUMMARY</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<ul><li>NOTING commander is indistinguishable from teammates on some occasions</li><li>NOTING commander does not provide location, this differs from footsoldiers who do, but not dead soldiers who also don't</li><li>FURTHER NOTING this is intended to be used in conjunction with the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=112891" target="_blank">proposition</a> to include a location next to commander text</li><li>INCLUDE an icon to identify a commander in chat, <u>must be distinguishable from name and regular text</u>
<ul><li>FOR EXAMPLE a star icon before the member name</li></ul></li></ul>

<!--coloro:#FFFFFF--><span style="color:#FFFFFF"><!--/coloro--><b>BENEFITS</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<ul><li>Allows for quick identification of commanders in chat</li><li>Removes the requirement to look on the scoreboard to see who is commander</li></ul>

<!--coloro:#FFFFFF--><span style="color:#FFFFFF"><!--/coloro--><b>DRAWBACKS</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<ul><li>Could cause confusion between primary commander and a footsoldier who is just looking at the map</li></ul>

<!--coloro:#FFFF00--><span style="color:#FFFF00"><!--/coloro--><i>Please post a </i><!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro--><b>+1</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><i> or </i><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><b>-1</b><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><i> in your post, <u>make the vote visible</u>.</i><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Comments

• xVisionsxVisions Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68021Members
    You really didn't have to make 3 separate post for a few simple ideas.

Identifying commander in chat for marines only would be a good thing.

I would have rather locations completely taken out of chat. Not even necessary.

I rather marines use the radio commands and have the location on that for the commander.
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Could cause confusion between primary commander and a footsoldier who is just looking at the map<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The soldier should just press M so there would be no confusion.

But I like the idea. Maybe an icon, or maybe a diferent clolor (darker blue, lighter orange).
    Also for the the voicechat indication when it's implemented.

anyway
    <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->+1<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    As far as I understand you want
    1. Commander identified to teammates in chat (by something like a star next to his name)
    2. Player locations identified to the commander in chat
    3. Player locations not shown to the enemy team in chat

If so, then +1 to all three.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited March 2011
    <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->+1<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> for commander icon.

<!--quoteo(post=1835396:date=Mar 1 2011, 01:36 AM:name=xVisions)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xVisions @ Mar 1 2011, 01:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835396"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You really didn't have to make 3 separate post for a few simple ideas.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think it's fine. He seems to have needed all the space to really flesh out the idea. If he had put it all in one, the way he did, I'd have been less inclined to read it.

Having said that Scardybob summarises it all pretty well in like 1/10th of the lines.

Oh wait, no. He got number 2 wrong. Number 2 is: Commander location of viewing displayed to team in chat.

Added these ideas to my interface/input summary/recap post: (click the arrow to view the whole post)
    <!--quoteo(post=1834670:date=Feb 24 2011, 09:42 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Feb 24 2011, 09:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834670"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><u>18. All: Location in Chat:</u>
    <b>.A.</b> Location displayed first in chat. e.g. <i>(Repair Room) Commander: Aliens in MS</i>
    <b>.B.</b> Commander identified to teammates in chat (by something like a star next to his name)
    <b>.C.</b> Commander location of viewing displayed to team in chat.
    <b>.D.</b> Player locations not shown to the enemy team in chat.
    <b>.E.</b> Voice chat displays name of currently-speaking, and their location.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->+1<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

I agree with this idea aswell.
    But these seem to be polishing type things when they are close to finish off the game. All of your ideas are negligible but I still agree with them none the less.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    The thing is, as low priority as they are, they might be a few minutes to implement. I know if I were working, I'd pad my work out with these small tasks in between large tasks. It'd help me feel better about my productivity, and look good on paper.
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1835492:date=Mar 1 2011, 10:47 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Mar 1 2011, 10:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835492"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The thing is, as low priority as they are, they might be a few minutes to implement. I know if I were working, I'd pad my work out with these small tasks in between large tasks. It'd help me feel better about my productivity, and look good on paper.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It is recommended that when low on motivation, or to get on a roll, implementing a small feature or two can really help.